ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Gov. Mark Dayton has abandoned his priority plan for a statewide pre-kindergarten program but remains at odds with GOP lawmakers over the amount of new funding for public schools.
Republican leaders said Friday that progress had been made in private talks but the Democratic governor described the state of negotiations as a disappointment.READ MORE: How Does Monkeypox Compare To COVID-19?
Dayton says he’s holding out for an additional $150 million in school spending on top of the $400 million in new money lawmakers put in a bill he vetoed. House Speaker Kurt Daudt wouldn’t divulge details of GOP offers. Dayton said the sides are $50 million apart. Some new money would go into existing preschool programs.READ MORE: How Program To Help Kids Struggling With Anxiety, Depression Is Putting A Song In Their Hearts
State officials will send out layoff notices Monday to workers who would be idled if a budget for education and a few other spending areas are not set by July 1.MORE NEWS: Mother Charged In Eli Hart's Death After Body Found In Trunk Shot Multiple Times
(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)