MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Traffic deaths are up 21 percent across Minnesota compared with late July figures from last year, according to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.
State officials said there have been 201 traffic deaths in the state so far in 2015, which includes at least two fatal crashes over the weekend. There were 166 traffic deaths at this time last year.
Authorities said a 37-year-old driver died Saturday night after running a stop sign in a crash in Sibley County. That driver is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol. A 20-year-old man died Friday night after losing control of his vehicle in Blue Earth County and being ejected from his vehicle. That driver was not wearing a seat belt.
The fatalities for 2015 so far include 145 motorists, 37 motorcyclists, 17 pedestrians and two bicyclists. All except bicyclists are increases from this time last year.
Even with the increase this year, last year’s 361 total traffic deaths were the lowest in Minnesota since World War II.