MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A Twin Cities priest who was previously acquitted of criminal sexual conduct charges has been temporarily removed from the ministry.

Rev. Mark Huberty was arrested in 2013 and charged with one count each of fourth- and fifth-degree criminal sexual conduct.

READ MORE: Study Ranks Minnesota As 6th Safest State During Pandemic

The complaint said that Huberty and a woman met in 2008 when she came to him for counseling at Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church in Maplewood. He was accused of engaging in a sexual relationship with someone he was counseling and of groping her without consent.

In 2014, a jury found Huberty not guilty.

READ MORE: Appeals Court: Judge Erred In Not Reinstating 3rd-Degree Murder Charge Against Derek Chauvin

On Tuesday, Archbishop Bernard Hebda said, “I have the sad responsibility of communicating that Rev. Mark Huberty has been temporarily removed from ministry for the duration of a formal canonical process that has been initiated to address some serious allegations that have come to the attention of the Archdiocese.”

Hebda said that following the case’s closure in court, an internal review was conducted.

MORE NEWS: HealthPartners Now Offering Drive-Up COVID-19 Vaccinations

The Ministerial Review Board “found that there was sufficient evidence to suggest Rev. Huberty may have committed a serious offense under canon law,” Hebda said. “Removing a priest from ministry, even temporarily, is gravely serious to me and to the Church.  But based on the evidence and testimony from those involved, this is the proper course of action.”