SUPERIOR, Wis. (AP) — Authorities in Superior blame a malfunctioning furnace for sickening two people in an apartment with carbon monoxide.

WDIO-TV reports a carbon monoxide alarm came in after 3 a.m. Sunday. Firefighters found low levels of the odorless gas in the hallway, but the levels jumped in an apartment on the first floor.

READ MORE: Minnesotans Look To The Sky

Battalion Chief Erik Sutton says two adults in the apartment were taken to the hospital and found to be suffering from toxic levels of carbon monoxide. Their condition was stable as of Sunday morning.

READ MORE: Fallen Minnesota Officers Honored With NFTs: 'It's Like A Digital Tombstone'

Sutton said the apartment had a CO detector, but the battery had been removed. A CO alarm in a neighboring apartment alerted residents to the problem.

MORE NEWS: Soaking Up The Sun, Safely: How To Best Protect Your Skin, And Spot Skin Cancer

(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)