BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — An assistant state attorney general has dropped a charge against Leith Mayor Ryan Schock related to the burning of a building once owned by white supremacist Craig Cobb, a year after filing it and just days before trial.

Assistant Attorney General Paul Emerson filed a motion Wednesday to dismiss the charge that Schock failed to control or report a dangerous fire, citing in part insufficient evidence. Emerson had no comment Thursday on what led him to reach his decision, attorney general spokeswoman Liz Brocker said.

READ MORE: Robert McCloud Accused Of Killing Ex-Wife Before 10-Hour Standoff With Police

The AP also requested comment from Leith City Attorney Steven Balaban, who is representing Schock.

Schock said Thursday that he has no insight on why the charge was dismissed but that he’s glad the ordeal is over.

“It’s kind of a puzzle, I guess,” he said. “Whatever. At this point it doesn’t matter. Hopefully we can close the book on it and move on.”

He had been scheduled for trial next week.

READ MORE: Man Killed When Driver Hits Bicyclist In Olmsted County

The charge against Schock stemmed from the city’s May 2014 efforts to raze condemned buildings after the departure of Cobb, who left Leith in 2014 following his failed attempt to turn the tiny community into a whites-only enclave. Authorities alleged that Schock acting recklessly and did not alert authorities when he set fire to a dilapidated building and the flames spread, endangering the home of neighbors Mike Bencz and Deby Nelson.

Schock has maintained his innocence since he was charged Jan. 22, 2015. The misdemeanor carries a maximum punishment of a year in jail and a $3,000 fine.

Bencz reported the fire, leading to the charge against Schock. He told The Associated Press this week that he and his wife did not intend to get the mayor in trouble and are tired of being harassed by area residents.

“We made a phone call reporting that there was a fire. That’s the only thing we did,” he said.

Cobb has since moved to Sherwood, where he’s serving four years of probation for terrorizing and menacing Leith residents. Last year he tried to obtain property in nearby Antler but the city thwarted him by buying up the 21 vacant lots in town, including one with a nearly century-old vacant bank building. The town plans to burn down the building later this month, with some Leith residents on hand.

MORE NEWS: 2 St. Paul City Employees Assaulted While Working; Suspect In Custody

(© Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)