ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) — The city of St. Paul has reached a settlement with a man who was Tasered by police officers in 2014.
Musician Chris Lollie says he was sitting in the city’s skyway system on Jan. 31 of that year waiting to pick up his kids when a security guard told him he had to leave. He refused, and the guard called St. Paul police. The responding officers asked for Lollie’s ID, which he also refused, saying he’d done nothing wrong. Eventually, the confrontation became physical and officers used a Taser on Lollie.READ MORE: A Closer Look At Peter Cahill, The Judge Presiding Over Derek Chauvin's Trial
The incident was widely publicized after Lollie released video of the arrest that he’d shot on his cell phone.READ MORE: Protesters March Through Downtown Minneapolis On Eve Of Chauvin Trial
According to the settlement agreement from the U.S. District Court of Minnesota, the city will pay Lollie and his lawyers $100,000 for the incident on the condition that Lollie drop the lawsuit against the city. The lawsuit was originally seeking damages of $500,000, in addition to punitive damages awarded by a jury.
The settlement also says the payment does not constitute an admission of guilt by the city or its police officers.MORE NEWS: Jury Consultant: Picking Jurors In Derek Chauvin Trial Will Be 'Herculean Task'
Last week, a federal judge declined the city’s motion to dismiss the lawsuit, saying there were too many disputed facts surrounding the case.