MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Three University of Minnesota men’s basketball players suspended for the final four games of the 2015-16 season will return next year, coach Richard Pitino said Tuesday.
Pitino spoke with Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports on Tuesday about the matter. Kevin Dorsey, Dupree McBrayer and Nate Mason were all suspended for the final three games of the regular season and the Gophers opening loss of the Big Ten Tournament for what was deemed a violation of team rules.
Nate Mason, Kevin Dorsey, & Dupree McBrayer will all return to Minnesota, Richard Pitino told @CBSSports. Were suspended for final 4 games.
— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) March 29, 2016
Reports surfaced that the three were suspended after sex videos appeared on Dorsey’s Twitter account. Authorities investigated the case after Dorsey reported that his cell phone had been stolen at the Mall of America two days before the videos surfaced.
The suspensions left the Gophers with eight players, including just six scholarship players, for the rest of a dismal season where Minnesota won just eight games. Senior Carlos Morris was also dismissed from the team before the suspensions due to conduct detrimental to the team.
With all three back next season, the Gophers will have much higher expectations. Mason led the team in scoring before the suspension, and two transfers in post player Reggie Lynch and forward Davonte Fitzgerald are expected to make big contributions. The Gophers also have high expectations for incoming freshmen Amir Coffey, Eric Curry and Michael Hurt.