MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman’s decision not to charge Officers Dustin Schwarze and Mark Ringgenberg doesn’t mean the two won’t face other discipline.

The Department of Justice, the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the FBI continue to investigate whether Clark’s shooting violated his civil rights.

There’s been no word so far on how long that investigation will take, but when it’s finished the Minneapolis Police Department will review all of the information to determine its next course of action. That could include disciplinary action against Ringgenberg and Schwarze if it’s determined they violated department policies.

According to the county attorney, when Ringgenberg and Schwarze arrived at Plymouth Avenue on Nov. 15, 2015, they repeatedly asked Clark to take his hands out of his pockets. He didn’t listen.

In a video released Wednesday, Ringgenberg can be seen reaching his arm around Clark’s chest and neck, taking him to the ground. Ringgenberg learned the take-down method as a police officer in San Diego, Freeman said.

Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau and Mayor Betsy Hodges said every piece of the case will be reviewed, including Ringgenberg’s take-down procedure when he tried to handcuff Clark.

“MPD will thoroughly review all evidence from independent investigations and be able to make decision regarding discipline moving forward from there,” Hodges said.

When asked if that same take down method Ringgenberg used on Clark is taught at the Minneapolis Police Department, Harteau responded with: “That will be something that will be in the review.”

Comments