MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Dozens of community members are continuing the call for the prosecution of two Minneapolis police officers despite Mike Freeman’s decision not to press charges.
On Wednesday, the Hennepin County Attorney announced that he would not charge Dustin Schwarze and Mark Ringgenberg following the November shooting death of Jamar Clark.
The calls of Justice for Jamar have echoed repeatedly since November 15th of last year. On Friday, that message continued through the Hennepin County Government Center.
“We just want justice. We want to be treated fairly like everybody else,” said James Clark, Jamar’s dad.
Every week for the last two months, demonstrators have gathered with the hope of putting pressure on County Attorney Mike Freeman to prosecute the two Minneapolis police officers.
Organizers called the gatherings Freeman Fridays.
“We think if we get enough people in the street we can make them charge those cops,” said Mel Reeves of the Coalition for Justice 4 Jamar.
Friday was the first meeting since the announcement that the officers involved in Clark’s death wouldn’t face charges.
“It made it all raw again, so this is the biggest Freeman Friday we had,” said Adrian Thompson of the coalition for Justice 4 Jamar.
With the case closed on the local level, demonstrators are now turning their attention to the federal investigation, and with that comes the promise that the fight is far from over.
“The feds could step in and demand that these charges be brought,” said Michelle Gross, a demonstrator.
“We have to continue to rise up. We have to continue to demand what we want, and that is equal justice under the law and treatment under the law,” said Nekima Levy-Pounds, president of the Minneapolis NAACP.
Demonstrators will meet for a vigil in honor of Clark near the 4th Precinct on Friday at 6:30 p.m.