MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A Minneapolis man previously convicted of rape was convicted of a first-degree attempted criminal sexual assault on Monday and is expected to receive life in prison, according to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office.

Keith Washington, 39, was convicted of rape in 2000. Because he was previously convicted and the jury found he acted with particular cruelty toward the victim, he is expected to be sentenced to life in prison with possibility of parole.

In February, a grand jury indicted Washington on 13 counts. This indictment was necessary in order to allow a life sentence.

The jury found Washington guilty of two counts of attempted first-degree sexual conduct, two counts of attempted second-degree criminal sexual conduct, one count of first-degree robbery and one count of first-degree assault.

Washington represented himself and argued that the prosecutor did not prove he committed the crime, but the jury did not agree.

After seeing the evidence and hearing testimony, the jury determined that Washington grabbed a woman on the 2800 block of Emerson Avenue. He choked her until she was unconscious. Two people heard the woman scream and saw a man on top of her. They asked if she was OK and Washington told them she was fine. Washington pointed something at them so they fled and called the police.

Police later found Washington with the woman’s cell phone and ID. He also had the cell phone, ID and groceries of another woman who told police she was choked and sexually assaulted two hours earlier in the same area. That woman’s case was included in Washington’s grand jury indictment, but was dropped early in the trial because she was unavailable to testify.

Washington’s sentencing will take place on May 12.

Comments