MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — May is a special month because we celebrate several holidays: Memorial Day, Mother’s Day and Cinco de Mayo is this week, too.
With these holidays, you can save some money.READ MORE: Girl Shot In Head During Mpls. Birthday Party Attends Elementary School In New Hope, No Arrests Yet
Carrie Rocha from pocketyourdollars.com Gets Us Movin’ this Monday with all the great bargains you can find in the month of May.
Things to buy in May:
• This week (the first week in May) is prime time for buying Mexican food and the ingredients to make it – including pantry staples like taco seasoning, taco shells and canned enchilada sauce as Cinco de Mayo is this coming weekend.
Grills and patio furniture
• If you really need a new grill or patio furniture and are particular about the kind you want, then buy it this month not for the prices, but for the selection. Retailers receive a fixed quantity of seasonal merchandise and when it’s gone, it’s gone.READ MORE: AMBER ALERT: Samantha Stephenson, 13, Last Seen With Brandon Morgan, 19, Who May Be In 'Manic State'
• Many (many!) retailers offer gift card bonus opportunities in May too as people are shopping for graduation, wedding and Father’s Day gifts. Even if you don’t need gift cards as a gift, pick them up for your own personal use and be rewarded for buying them in May.
Groupons and Living Social Certificates
• In May we typically see once-per-year discounts on Groupon and Living Social for a variety of popular recreational activities around town like discounts on amusement park wristbands, entrance to water parks and other family outings.
• The week before Memorial Day is typically one of the best times of the year to buy pop. Yes, soda prices are lower throughout the summer than they are in the winter, but leading up to each of the three major summer holidays you typically find pop for the lowest prices of the year.MORE NEWS: Richard Skramstad Charged In Western Wisconsin Meth Investigation
• On a different note – mattress sales over Memorial Day weekend tend to be some of the best we see all year. I’d aim for 50 percent off retail price.