ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) — A family who lost everything in a deadly fire got help from the community on Sunday.

The blaze happened on April 14 at Stasny’s Food Market in St. Paul. Fire officials say Eva Tietz, her fiancé and two teenage children lived above the shop, and called for help when they saw smoke coming from the Deli at around 1:30 that morning.

Stu Gerr, 77 and a well-known butcher, got trapped in the basement and died in the fire. The Tietz family lived in the upstairs apartment for 12 years.

On Sunday, people gathered at the American Legion in North St. Paul to help them get back on their feet. Live music, a silent auction, raffle and a bake sale raised money to replace some of what they lost.

“They lost everything. They lost their home, their beds, Eva lost her grandmother’s ashes,” Jason Hyatt, the event coordinator, said. “They lost everything, so we got some friends together and wanted to do something about that.”

If you couldn’t make it and still want to donate, here is how.

Comments