MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The City of St. Anthony has canceled its VillageFest Parade in the wake of last week’s controversial shooting.
On Thursday, city officials said the Aug. 5 parade is canceled because due to recent events, the city is unable to provide adequate police, fire, and public resources necessary for the event of its size.READ MORE: Driver Shot While On I-394 In St. Louis Park, Investigation Underway
The parade is canceled, but all other VillageFest events are continuing as scheduled.READ MORE: Recipe: Thai Bowls From The Classic Grill At Madden’s On Gull Lake
“We encourage everyone to support this outstanding St. Anthony tradition and to enjoy the various other events that organizers and volunteers have worked very hard to plan,” the city said in a statement. “We hope that you understand the circumstances under which we have made this tough, but necessary, decision.”MORE NEWS: MN WEATHER: Several Rounds Of Light Snow Expected Over Next Several Days
Thirty-two-year-old Philando Castile was shot and killed by St. Anthony Police Officer Jeronimo Yanez last Wednesday night during a traffic stop in Falcon Heights. His girlfriend broadcast the aftermath on Facebook Live.