MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A St. Paul man has been charged in connection with a stabbing that occurred along Grand Avenue late last week.

Maxim Kenneth Rhone, 25, has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder.

According to the criminal complaint, just before 2 a.m. police responded to a call of a stabbing on the 400 block of Grand Avenue.

Upon arrival, police found a 28-year-old man lying face down near the southwest corner of the building. He was bleeding from a wound to his right side and had a cut on his right arm.

He was taken to Regions Hospital, where he was later declared dead.

While on the scene, police interviewed a 30-year-old man who had been present when officers arrived.

The witness told police he drove the victim to the apartment building so the victim could pick up some things for his on-again, off-again girlfriend. The girlfriend was scared to pick up the things herself because she said her roommate, later identified as Rhone, had been acting strangely.

The man told police the victim had gone in once and came out with two suitcases. He realized he forgot his phone and went in a second time to get it.

According to the criminal complaint, the victim was gone for about 15 minutes so the man went to go look for him. When he knocked on the door, Rhone told him the victim was not there. The man went back to his car, and 10 minutes later heard screams and saw the victim come out of the building and collapse on the lawn.

Police knocked on the door of the apartment in question and Rhone answered.

According to the criminal complaint, Rhone appeared calm, said “I stabbed him” and showed police where the knife he used was.

Through further investigation, police learned the victim and his girlfriend had been staying with Rhone and were being evicted at the end of the month. The victim’s girlfriend also told police that Rhone had been hearing voices and that he thought he was God.

According to the police, the victim’s girlfriend told officers they had an incident earlier in the week. On Sept. 20, the victim told Rhone he was going to try and get some help for him. Rhone became angry and broke a window, which he jumped out of. When he returned two hours later, he threatened to stab the victim.

An anonymous tenant told police that Rhone often used the window instead of doors, and had been walking around the building mumbling to himself.

The police were called and they took Rhone to have a mental health evaluation at Regions.

Rhone was arrested and admitted to stabbing the victim.

If convicted, Rhone could face up to 40 years for both counts.