MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The Olmsted County Attorney’s Office says there will be no charges in the stabbing death of a 15-year-old Rochester boy.
According to WCCO affiliate KIMT, the investigation concluded that 15-year-old Jose Negrete died of wounds suffered after he tried to rob a group a people on July 1.
Authorities say that Negrete approached a group of teens at a parking lot of Domino’s Pizza North and attempted to rob them. During the incident, Negrete pulled out a large hunting knife and stabbed a teen, who was injured in the neck.
The stabbing victim then stabbed Negrete using the same knife. Negrete died from the injury.
County Attorney Mark Ostrem says the teen’s use of deadly force was reasonable and necessary – and that the state couldn’t prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the teen didn’t act in self-defense.
Investigators say there had been earlier confrontations between Negrete and the group.