Different cultures celebrate different holidays during the month of December.
Lachelle Cunningham from Breaking Bread Cafe visited WCCO to share some multi-cultural treats.
Breaking Bread is part of a group called “Appetite For Change,” which is getting a lot of attention this week with their viral music video.
Here is Cunningham’s recipe for sweet potato latkes.
Sweet Potato Latkes
- 1 lbs yams, grated
- 1/2 medium onion, very small diced or shredded
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch cayenne
- Vegetable oil
- Stir together yams, onion, scallions, parsley, flour, eggs, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Heat oil in a deep 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Spoon 1/8 cup potato mixture per latke into oil and flatten to 3-inch diameter with a slotted spatula. Reduce heat to moderate and cook until golden, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Transfer latkes with spatula to paper towels to drain.
- Serve with green onions, sour cream and/or brown butter sauce.