By John Lauritsen

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Investigators in Morrison County say a cellphone saved the lives of two boys.

On Sunday, a Cushing man couldn’t find his son, so he used the “Find My iPhone” app. It led him to the Little Elk River near the town of Randall.

READ MORE: Pope Francis Asks For, Accepts MN Bishop Michael Hoeppner’s Resignation Following Sex Abuse Investigation

“The river is real slow,” Chief Charles Strack of the Randall Police Deparment said. “It’s a nice place to cool off and it was a really warm day that day.”

That’s exactly what two friends were doing Sunday at the Highway 115 bridge. But when one of the boys didn’t show up for a family function that afternoon, his parents used smartphone technology to find out where he was — and it was lucky they did.

When the dad arrived he found his son’s 12-yeard-old friend unconscious, lying face down in the river. His 14-year-old son was also semi-responsive. He helped pull both boys to shore where first responders took over.

“For a dad or mom or anyone to locate a childlike that is beyond belief, but he was still able to get him out and up the river bank,” Strack said.

READ MORE: 40 Arrested In The Twin Cities After 2nd Night Of Daunte Wright Protests

Both boys were rushed to hospitals and thanks to life-saving efforts by savvy parents and first responders, both are expected to be OK. Chief Strack believes this would have ended much differently had the boy’s dad arrived even a couple of minutes later.

“Everything just worked out to save this kid’s life,” said Chief Strack.

During a time when police are asking people to put their cell phones down while driving, this time a cellphone became a life-saving tool.

“And that’s a sensitive issue with parents- when to buy a cell phone and when they shouldn’t. In this case it turned out be a good ending,” said Chief Strack.

MORE NEWS: Daunte Wright Killing: How Does An Officer Confuse Their Taser For A Gun?

The 14-year-old boy was treated and released from the hospital. The 12-year-old remains hospitalized at HCMC in satisfactory condition. Strack said first responders also played a big role in keeping this rescue.

John Lauritsen