By Esme Murphy

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Sen. Al Franken returned to Minnesota for his first public appearance here since resigning from the U.S. Senate.

In an exclusive interview with WCCO-TV, he talked about how much he misses his old job.

Franken resigned from the Senate in January after #MeToo allegations from more than half a dozen women alleging unwanted touching.

Franken was joined by three Minnesota members of Congress at the dedication of the new Bug-O-Nay-Ge-Shig High School on the Leech Lake Indian Reservation. The old school campus was comprised of tin buildings that leaked, were rodent-infested, had heat that often failed in the winter, and plumbing that led to frequent sewage backups.

Franken says the conditions were a disgrace.

Those who have worked with Franken as a Senator say it’s no surprise that he chose this school dedication for his first public event in Minnesota since he left the Senate.

Repeatedly during the high school’s dedication there were standing ovations for Franken, who for eight years as a member of the Indian Affairs Committee led the fight for the $12 million in funding for the new facility.

In his speech, Franken said he deeply missed working on Indian issues.

“That means a lot to me. It was very moving for me. It was very gratifying. I put my heart in the job,” Franken said. “I miss the whole job. I loved that job, I loved the job as Senator. … It was very meaningful for me and bittersweet, I would like to still be there.”

Franken was treated warmly at every turn. One young father remembers Franken’s repeated visits to the school, and like many on the Leech Lake Indian Reservation, he says he would like to see Franken return to public life.

When WCCO’s Esme Murphy asked him whether he plans to run for office again, he responded, “Well, see, if I say anything there you will put it in the story. I don’t know. I haven’t ruled it out, and I haven’t ruled it in.”

Franni Franken admitted her husband’s abrupt departure from the Senate has been difficult for both of them.

“It has been a challenge, but we do get to spend more time together, and I think there are times that both us would like spend less time together,” she said, laughing.

The Frankens reveled in the interactions with tribal members.

They said they will be back in Minnesota in late August to visit friends and go to one of their favorite events, the Minnesota State Fair.

Comments (77)
  1. “Returned to Minnesota” Strange how he didn’t live here before or after the senate. And even then he got to spend most of his time in DC. Complete carpetbagger.

2. Why waste time on this Prev and Mrs.It’s not like he’s the prairie home commie.

3. Roy Allen says:

I am moved that people who cannot correctly spell “pervert” and currently support a serial adulterer and a wrestling coach/child molester are slamming a guy who was lynched by the leaders of his own party in the name of political correctness and without the formality of any kind of hearing or due process.

4. Don McCoy says:

I can’t decide…is it more hilarious that Al is gonna run again…or that the LUNATIC Democrats will probably re-elect him again! After all…he’s good enough…smart enough…and doggone it, people LIKE him!

5. Al Franken has been a failure his entire life. That is why he is perfect for the Democrat Party. Stupid is a requirement for the Democrat Party. Be stupid, be a Liberal.

6. Well you can try …and hope everyone has forgotten and forgives… good luck with that tho….

7. The absolutely shameless gall of the Semite is unequaled in recorded human history. They set the low water mark, have held it continuously, and are actually proud of that. Plus, almost all Democrats, too. Ewe-Been-Jood.

8. When Bolivar communists, fake Indians, 75 year-old Marxist-Wobblies and a Nation of Islam devotee are your Party’s leaders, why not add a serial groper?

9. chrismireya says:

Al Franken didn’t work for Minnesota. He worked for the liberal wing of a Democratic Party that has been increasingly hijacked by far-left sociopolitical zealots. He isn’t a “rogue.” Rather, he is just another left-wing zealot aligned with the Pelosi segment of the DNC.

10. d0ct0rj says:

Rule it out, Al! Rule it out!!

11. Anti-racists say there is a RACE problem that can only be solved when the third world pours into EVERY White country and “assimilates.”

What if I said there was a RACE problem that could only be solved if hundreds of millions of non-Blacks were brought into EVERY Black country? How long before people realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem, but the conclusion to the BLACK problem?

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-White.

Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-White.

12. Great news! Why not run for President with Hillary, Recycle all the old liberal trash….
    the ALL HELL ticket

13. Jack Gregory says:

If he re-enters politics I wonder how many other women will then come forward to expose his abusive sexual behavior? I think that is one reason his Dem colleagues asked him to leave. There were more allegations waiting in the wings, and the visibility/publicity was a big problem. “They” all knew about Al Franken. Just did not want him around to taint them with his problems.

14. Earth to AL…you didn’t win the first time you ran…you played a page from the ALGORE playbook and litigated bogus recount efforts until the other guy ran out of money….go away you demented sex offender!

15. Jack Gregory says:

Good ole Al has already been exposed as a serial abuser of women. That means that what has so far been exposed about him is just the tip of a probably very big iceberg. I wonder how many other women will come forward to expose his abusive sexual behavior if he re-enters politics? I think that is one reason his Dem colleagues asked him to leave. Just like Weinstein, there is a circle of the movers and shakers that all know about the evil within their ranks, but ignore it and excuse it until it becomes public. Then they have to figure, which is the greater good for them. “They” all knew about Al Franken. Back when he was forced out they decided, they just did not want him around to taint them with his problems.

16. Minnesota perverts always vote for one of their own.

17. Fred Stevens says:

Give it up Al. You didn’t actually win the first time. You were a successful Democrat vote fraud test.