MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Authorities in Isanti County say a 74-year-old man died in a house fire on Saturday.
According to the Isanti County Sheriff’s Office, the fire was reported around 6:18 p.m. at a home on the 5600 block of 263rd Avenue NE.READ MORE: Gov. Walz Secures Federal Support To Expand Antibody Treatment And Vaccination Capacity
Upon arrival, deputies discovered a house fire and a male deceased inside the home. The victim was identified as 74-year-old Lawrence Tuma.READ MORE: Kim Potter Trial, Dec. 1 Live Updates: 5 More Jurors Seated, For 9 Total
Officials say upon further investigation it appears that the elderly man had tried to light a cigarette while oxygen was in use in his home which caused a flash fire.
According to the sheriff’s office, the victim died from smoke inhalation.MORE NEWS: Former Marshall Principal Files Suit Against District After Alleged Removal Over Pride Flag
The fire remains under investigation.