MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota’s county attorneys want to give the state attorney general the authority to handle all cases of police-involved deaths.
The Minnesota County Attorneys Association voted Thursday in transferring that power during an emergency meeting, which included Attorney General Keith Ellison. The attorney general is leading the state’s case against the four police officers involved in George Floyd’s death instead of the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office.READ MORE: 'We Don't Have To Do It': Mask Mandate Confusion Abound In Twin Cities
State lawmakers would need to pass legislation during this month’s special session to give the attorney general the ongoing authority.
The county attorneys are also calling on the Legislature to provide additional funding to the state Attorney General’s Office and create a unit within Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to investigate police killings of civilians.READ MORE: Police Reform A Major Sticking Point As Legislative Session Nears Its End
“If this is the path the Legislature and governor choose to take, my office will accept the responsibility,” Ellison said. “But it must come with resources sufficient to do the job thoroughly and to do justice in the way Minnesotans have a right to expect.”
Ellison is one of 18 Democratic attorneys general who are asking Congress to grant their offices “clear statutory authority under federal law” to investigate “unconstitutional policing by local police departments” in their respective states, the Star Tribune reported.MORE NEWS: Minnesota Weather: 80-Degree High Expected Monday; Summery And Damp Week Ahead
- ‘Get Your Knee Off Our Necks’: Al Sharpton Delivers Impassioned Eulogy For George Floyd
- Mother’s Love, YMCA Step Up To Help In Sudden North Minneapolis Grocery Drought
- After Looting And Damage, South Minneapolis’ Lake Street Neighborhoods Deal With Pharmacy Shortage
- George Floyd Death: Thousands Sign Petition To Rename Chicago Avenue To Floyd Avenue
- 3 Ex-MPD Officers Involved In George Floyd’s Death Make First Court Appearance, Face $1M Bail
- George Floyd’s Death Compared To 1770 Death Of Crispus Attucks
- Click Here To Send Condolences To The Family Of George Floyd
- More George Floyd News
(© Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)