Local

Fmr. Cop Won’t Get Job Back After Tasering Incident

View Comments
(credit: Minneapolis Police Department)

(credit: Minneapolis Police Department)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A former Minneapolis police officer fired after a Tasering incident will not be coming back to work, confirmed the police union Friday.

Todd Lappegaard lost his job after dash cam video showed him Tasering a teenager who had his hands on his squad car.

The Police Union says an arbitrator ruled in the city’s favor.

On April 30, 2009, Rolando Ruiz was arrested near the Minneapolis 2nd Precinct near Central Avenue.

According to the criminal complaint, Lappegaard saw Ruiz throwing a brick through the windshield of an officer’s personal vehicle outside the second precinct building on Central Avenue.

Video from Lappegaard’s dashboard camera caught the scene. The video didn’t show what happened before Ruiz was told to put his hands on the hood, but it did show Lappegaard use a Taser on the back of Ruiz’s neck.

Ruiz said he had already surrendered when Lappegaard used the Taser on him.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,901 other followers