2 Dead In Icy Minnesota Crashes

By Bruce Hagevik, NewsRadio 830 WCCO and Rachel Slavik, WCCO-TV

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO/AP) — The slick, icy weather conditions have wreaked havoc on Minnesota roads overnight and into Sunday morning. The precipitation hit the Twin Cities metro area around 10 p.m. Saturday night causing dozens of accidents on freeways and side streets.

Two people have died in separate icy accidents due to the poor road conditions, including a 12-year-old girl who was killed in Stearns County. The Long Prairie girl was riding in a pickup truck that lost control on an icy road and went into a ditch around 10 a.m. Sunday.

The girl, identified as 12-year-old Maritza Urquidec, was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected from the vehicle. She died a short time later at Melrose Area Hospital.

“It was really icy. It was unbelievable. Even once the traffic cleared up we were still not even going 20 miles per hour, just a total sheet of ice,” said Emily McGlynn.

McGlynn was stuck in traffic for three hours, on a drive that normally takes her 20 minutes. She was traveling from Woodbury to Minneapolis.

“There was a lot of accidents, a lot of people in the ditch.  A lot of people pulled over who didn’t want to drive at all,” said McGlynn.

The Minnesota State Patrol is reporting a total of 438 crashes statewide — 376 of those in the metro area. The crashes have resulted in one death and 75 injuries.

Fifty-seven of those injuries took place in the metro area.

Thirteen accidents have involved snow plows — that’s the worst Kent Barnard, of the Minnesota Department of Transportation, said he’s seen in more than 22 years.

The State Patrol said there’s been 191 off-the-road spin outs with 165 of those in the metro.

“We had a fatal crash in Meeker County on some very icy roads,” said Lt. Eric Roeske of the Minnesota State Patrol.

City streets and sidewalks are still extremely slippery Sunday morning.

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Dave Mona Reports

Dave Mona of the WCCO Radio Sports Huddle Show and his wife were struck by a snowplow as they sat along a Twin Cities freeway late Saturday night. There were no injuries. Mona’s car had slid to the side of the road before being hit from behind by the plow.

The other fatal accident occurred around 11 p.m. Saturday at Highway 22 and County Road 18, south of Litchfield, Minn. Kimberly Mead, 44, of Willmar, Minn. died as a result of the four-vehicle crash.

According to a State Patrol accident report, a Dodge Intrepid lost traction on the icy roads, sliding sideways into the northbound lane, where it was struck by Ford Contour. After that collision, a Honda Civic crashed into the Ford Contour.

Mead was ejected from the Dodge Intrepid in the accident. She was pronounced dead on the scene.

Two other passengers, Diane Mead, 52, of Minot, North Dakota, and Barbara Wold, 55, of Spicer, Minn., were also in the Dodge Intrepid and are listed in critical condition.

Pat Hogan, spokesperson for the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, said they had to shut down the entire airfield Saturday night between midnight and 5 a.m., due to the freezing rain.

Fortunately, at that time, most of their planes, arriving or departing, were out by that time.  By mid-afternoon, three runways were open and most flights were on-time.

“I wasn’t as concerned about the roads as flights being delayed.  I figured we’d get to the airport in plenty of time and then sit here a few hours,” said Brian Wrabetz, who flew out of MSP International.

Currently there are some cancellations and delays due to de-icing airplanes, but they have two runways open and plan on opening a third later Sunday morning.

Comments

1. rob says:

it”s call common sense to slow down, but common sense now days is burry in the ground, so tell it”s dug up again people will just keep killing each other on the hy.

2. ray olson says:

161 people have been injured and one person is dead due to icy road conditions in Minnesota. No safety measures were taken to prevent these terrible conditions. Did someone say we don’t want to pay overtime for salting/sanding trucks to drive thru the night while icy rain fell?
    And how many of the injured do not have basic health insurance?

Tim Pawlenty, where are you? Are you even in Minnesota?
    We pay your salary.

1. Pat Baker says:

they were out –do you think you could do better—the state called in 207 workers plus the 100+ that work nights in the metro. they payed O.T.at 9:30 pm-Dave mona of WCCO got hit by a driver of a salt truck last night, cause they where working!!!!–and when Dayton is in office–he might just hide under the desk! then are you going to complain?

1. K Thayer says:

You know they were out, how? Were you out in the mess last night? Or are you believing something you read?

2. lynne says:

Mark Dayton isn’t even in office yet, wow, so you are already finding a way to blame him? LOL!!

3. richard says:

I agree. Dayton already is a mess. Slurred speech. He’ll do more than hide under the desk, he’ll run!!! Worst senator will become worst govenor!!!

2. sue says:

I think that it is funny how people want to blame WCCO or Min dot for accidents that happened. As I recall we as people have the choose to stay home when weather gets this way. If you go out in it then blame only your self. WCCO has had this weather out look on the news for the last few days, come on people take responsibility for your own actions.

3. Mark from MNtaxwaste says:

Wow, never thought I would see such a dumb comment on WCCO, I was wrong

3. Pat Baker says:

Do you think it’s that easy to just get out and cover the roads with salt when it rain and freezes? and the workers need to get to work by driving on the ice covered roads too! Think about it–they do there best at the time.

1. K Thayer says:

Hmm, ‘worst in 22 years’…Pretty good indication someone could have been better prepared. No, it’s not that easy for ME to get out and salt the roads, but thats not MY job. Perhaps with the forecast someone could have been proactive to avoid last nights disaster!

2. Hagbard Celine says:

I drive professionally too… some roads I was going *5mph*. Hard to ice a bunch of roads that speed, and no amount of foresight can make it go any faster, kids.

3. Daniel says:

I guess I would ask why are the workers not already at work, BEFORE the worst of the storm? To not, at the very least, have treated the main arteries makes no scense. Very poor planning. I was on the Interstates, 35W, 35E, and 94E from 11:20pm through 1:30am and saw one MnDot sand/plow truck as I made my exit off the interstate. You guys knew a freezing rain advisory was in effect. Thousands of lives put at risk and thousands of dollars in damage directly attributed to poor planning by MnDot.

1. Tim says:

I agree! From 10pm to Midnight, there were no trucks out. Scary as hell with no warning. Even the warning signs didn’t display any warnings….Made it from MOA to Moundsview, took 2 hours and seen many crashes and spin outs!

1. AV says:

It was very, very scary especially with an infant in the car.

I’ve been living in MN for 10 years and have never experienced anything this
          bad before.

Salt trucks were nowhere to be seen during the worst of it…looks like the story is the same all over the metro area. Saving a buck is more important than keeping our major interstates safe. And we aren’t talking back roads here people…35W, 94…all in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. These are high travel roads! No excuse for this failure…

1. Spank says:

Only 10 years, You ain’t seen nothing yet!

1. Minnesota driver says:

Exactly Spank, I’ve lived in Minnesota for 38 years. Always the first snow or ice of the winter season, is a wake up for all drivers. There are always lots of accidents on the first major storm. Use common sence people. The MnDot need time and space also. Give them a break. And leave plenty of space between cars, do not drive on the vehicles bumper in front of you.

4. FJ says:

It was one of the most dangerous driving conditions I have seen. Last night it took me over an hour and a half to drive from Lake and Lyndale to Hwy 169 and Crosstown. Traffic was going about 15-20 mph on the Freeway and in fact was totally stopped at 35W and 62. I never saw a sanding truck until I got to 169 and 62.

5. Shane Gillespie says:

No wonder I heard so many sirens last night. They were doing weird siren tricks rarrrrrrrrr rruuuuuuuuuu rarrrrrrrrrr ruuuuuuuuu..reeeeee. I thought somebody stold a fire truck and was playing with the siren.

6. phil says:

it is called comon sence, if it is raining this time of year no matter how much salt or sand it washes away.
    watch the news, they said it would be bad. .
    dont be idots, slow down dont go out.

1. Jack Spears says:

Agree with you. I was one of those ‘idiots’ who didn’t pay attention to the news before starting to drive back from a friend’s place last night and learned my lesson.

7. Meridith says:

That’s more scary then the roads I drove on last night!

8. Gone for good says:

The comments on here are so negative. Glad I left Mn 15 years ago………….

1. lynne says:

Minnesota…the land of Minnesota Nice..and the worse drivers in the country, and the most whiny phonies.

1. richard says:

Total liberals!! Dumb and complain about it!!

9. Another Johnson says:

Before we start blaming the government (state, county or city) for not being God and being everywhere at once, let’s blame the people who didn’t STAY HOME. It is so easy to blame the government but let’s look at where blame is REALLY due! If we’re blaming the government, we should really blame the local and national weather services for not calling you personally to tell you that we’re in Minnesota in the WINTER and we get crappy driving conditions. While we’re at it, let’s blame global warming for not heating up the earth more quickly so we wouldn’t have winter anymore.

My condolences to the woman who lost her life last night, and my prayers for quick healing for those injured, but I have no patience for the narrow-minded idiots who want to blame everyone but themselves for the weather.

The weather isn’t controlled by any of us. My thanks to the hard-working city and county workers who were out all night working as quickly as conditions allowed to bring the roads back to driveable conditions.

1. Gerry says:

Some people have to get to work or get home from work. Sometimes you just have to be on the roads;it’s not always a choice.

2. anna says:

what about when you get off work at 1130? out of the 5 of us at my work…3 of us got into an accident. we didn’t have a choice to stay in or not. also the news said it would be a drizzle and may get slick but should be fine… not exactly the right idea.

10. phil says:

i try, i was so mad reading the posts, i couldn’t help my self.

11. Anthony says:

I’m not sure it was entirely possible for road crews to help much at first. I was delivery driving at the time, and within 15 minutes the roads went from completely dry to glare ice all around the metro area. You could’ve skated on it. I put my car into a curb for the first time in 5 or 6 years.

12. Joe says:

THANK YOU PAT BAKER!!! I READ THIS TO MY PARENTS, AND THEY WERE LAUGHING. THEY TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU AND I DO TOO. NOW ALL OF YOU STOP COMPLAINING AND BE SMART!

13. Shane Gillespie says:

Thirteen accidents have involved snow plows…hmmmmmm

14. traciew says:

I left the metrodome just before midnight last night, along with however many fans, who were mostly students, of course, many of whom were driving themselves home. At least half would be using the 394 corridor to get home. I’m going to submit to whomever is managing the DOT, or this state for that matter, that it was not rocket science to have predicted the road conditions. After all, when I left the girls state swim meet at the UofM around eight, nearly four hours before I left the dome, people were advising us to drive safely! That said, when you have a stadium of teens leaving a venue at a predictable time, wouldn’t it behoove you to be proactive? Keep the drivers, fire the management.

15. Joe says:

wow this is a crazy day!

16. Greg Laden says:

In other states sanding/salting happens prior to the storm, which in turn is predicted by fairly accurate science This sort of mayhem is a combination of very poorly thought out public works policy and drivers believing such woo as “I’m in an SUV … I can drive on ice!” and, of course, drunks in pickups

17. Joe says:

You are very, very right Greg

18. Alex says:

I think this report fails to mention how the people were driving. I drive a light FWD coupe, and I didnt take it out of third gear on the hwy. Go slow, and you’ll be fine. It always amazes me how people drive in certain conditions. If the roads are slippery, slow down and respect others who are being safe. And for crying out loud, stop texting / talking on your phone when it’s snowing….or even sunny out!!!

19. Allen Geiselhart says:

I was out last night and left around 11 pm because my uncle called me that there were tons of cars in the ditch from spinning out near Hopkins Cross rd and Cedar Lake rd. I was out in S. St. Paul, and it took me 3 and a half hours to get home in south MPLS. I took every rd imaginable that didn’t have a steep grade to it. I got stuck a couple of times until i freed myself. I pulled off the road filled up to get more weight in the back of the car for traction. Honestly many people out there were morons. SERIOUSLY those that road my bumper I left pass me I saw them either in an accident or in a snow embankment. I hit maybe 15 mph As for the salt truck they couldn’t get any were in the crap, one weather, two traffic morons on the road that aren’t driving cautious cause accidents and many traffic get backed up. those plow could get anywhere to fix the roads. don’t blame the salt trucks and service vehicles, blame those that help make the roads worse..

20. chouanard says:

I’m blaming the weather service – we checked before we went out and they were saying the ice would come after midnight. We checked before we headed home and Mike Fairbourne said the ice would be here between 3 a.m. and 9 a.m. – it took us 4.5 hours to drive from St. Peter back to St. Paul leaving at 10:15 p.m. – thank the gods my father taught me how to drive in bad weather!!!!

21. rmk says:

I can only suggest that driving when road conditions are less than perfect a wise person might use caution, ditch people and crash people do not fit in the wise catagory!! The big problem is how safe cars are today because the dumb B,,s get to do it again!!

22. slip slider says:

It took me 3 hours to get from northeast mpls to eden prairie last night. Left mpls at 10:40. People were getting stuck on normally gentle inclines, because they were going so slow. That 35W/Crosstown mess was the worst, because people couldn’t get up the hill. A bunch of us exited on 60th, but had to take turns going down the ramp one at a time, because you slid all the way to the bottom sideways. I’ve been driving in MN winters for decades and it’s been a long time since driving was this treacherous.

The reason fatalities were so low was because people were driving slow (10 mph on the 35W bridge). Sure there were people who were driving too fast (at lightning fast speeds of 30 mph!!). But for the most part, people played it safe. However, there’s not much you can do when even your ABS puts you sideways, braking while going 5 mph.

Last night it was dangerous not only for the average motorist, but for emergency responders and plow drivers. Yes, it’s what they are paid to do, but it couldn’t have been easy. I commend them for the quick response. The rest of you armchair quarterbacks who were likely sitting comfortably in front of the TV last night without venturing out really have no idea what you’re talking about.

1. SLH says:

Well said. Let’s be thankful we have people in our state willing to risk their own lives to make roads safer for all of us.

2. mary says:

slip slider,
      You made me laugh when you mentioned the speeders….”lightning fast at 30 mph!”
      Your comments were great and accurate. i was truly amazed that more people weren’t in accidents…most people drove as decently as they could. We don’t need tailgaters on a night like last night.
      Some people were really caught without information….myself included, and would’ve been home instead had we known!

23. Daniel says:

Left NE Mpls. at 11:30 last night, it took us 1:50 to go 14 miles. Very poor job by MnDot! They knew that there was a freezing rain advisory issued, how are they not pre-treating roads? Unacceptable! I traveled 35W northbound to Hwy. 36 at 11:40pm last night, and it had not been treated. Hwy. 36 out to 35 E was glare ice. 35 E southbound into dtwn. St. Paul was glare ice at 12:30 am. 94 eastbound out of dtwn St. Paul at 1:15am was glare ice. It’s hard for me to believe that there were trucks out around 9:30pm last night.

24. Montana says:

I had my very first accident ever last night. I am 17, and I was trying my best to drive as carefully as I could… I was driving from the U of M west bank, and on 394 is where the accident happened. The person in front of me slammed on the breaks, and when I tried to slow down, the wheels just spun and propelled the car forward. I swerved into a gap in the next lane. I hit someone, and spun twice and crashed into the barrier wall.
    Totaled the car.
    I am still in shock.

1. PK says:

glad you weren’t injured montana. You did the best you could. I am 48 and it was the roads were the worst I have ever driven on. I white knuckled it the whole way home. I had gone to a showing of Harry Potter in Rosedale and it took 1 1/2 hours to get from there to Snelling and Marshall. Snelling was aweful by the railroad (Ayd Mill). Had to go the wrong way down an entry ramp! The only big issue I had was the overconfident SUV behind me following so closely like there was an issue! I would like to see how many of these drivers were the cause of all the accidents. I don’t care what kind of car you drive…the only way to drive last night was slowly and carelully! I also want to thank the guy at the bottom of that entry ramp for yelling out directions for the safest way home! He deserved a medal and I hope he made it home safe too!

2. Gerry says:

The important thing is that you are alive. You have learned an important lesson early in your life about driving in storms.I am glad you are ok. Cars can be replaced; people cannot.

3. mary says:

I’m really happy you’re okay, Montana….a horrible night for experienced drivers….you did the best you could. Stay safe.

4. Bob says:

Well Guess what?? It won’t be your first and it won’t be your last. At 17 you will have another one I will bet on it.

1. carla says:

Sorry Bob, of course it was her first. Hopefully it will be her last and she survived last night. Good job Montana

25. Bjorn Veien says:

We pay taxes to have this kind of stuff taken care of. Salt and sand should have been put down prior to the ice storm. Its absolutely ridiculous that people would defend this failure.

26. steve h says:

MnDot has always been on top of the everchanging road conditoins,, weather related,,,either Pre-Treating road surfaces,, or salt and sanding,,,, if you see them ahead of you,, slow down and let them do there job,, If,, You think you can do better,, then go to work for the MnDot. and trust me,, you wont find yourself qualafied to do it.
    T

27. Amanda says:

For those of you saying this could have been avoided by slowing down…your tune would change greatly if you were out on the roads. Traveling from 252 to 94 toward the twin cities around 10:00pm, it began to drizzle. That VERY QUICKLY became an ice rink. Approaching the lowry tunnel, traffic was COMPLETELY STOPPED and cars could not move because the road was covered with slick ice. Approaching 35w south, the highway was 5 lanes full of stopped traffic and cars were STILL sliding into the walls. It is very difficult to control your vehicle when it is on a layer of ice.

3 hours it took from Andover to Bloomington….and NOT A SINGLE SALT TRUCK in sight. Nice.

Oh yeah even more scary that I had my baby in the car. Had I known the mess I was going to encounter, I certainly would not have considered driving.

What a shame…

28. cqui says:

This is why I avoid the traffic “huddles” moving along on the freeway. It’s amazing how many bunch up for no reason! I stay behind hoping not to see a 10 car pile up!

29. Mahogma says:

“I’m blaming the weather service” LOL You mean the “weather terrorists?” Funny I heard about this moving in yesterday morning. Just because it wasn’t a bulletin crawl on TV,or in 1″ type on the front page of the newspaper doesn’t mean it’s not in the forecast. Pay attention.

30. s says:

Seriously there should have been warnings on the bottom of local channels like for severe weather warnings.

1. janna says:

Thats a GREAT idea! Hopefully someone who can initiate something like that will see your suggestion and act on it!

31. melissa s says:

Leave the plowers alone they can’t be everywhere all at once

32. Spank says:

OMG ice in Minnesota, I hope the government will help me cope with it LOL!

33. Joe says:

OK, Just proving a point. If the traffic was COMPLETELY STOPPED, then how could our snow plows get around if they couldnt even get to some of the roads!?

34. wondering says:

So beyond all the stupid bickering and arguing, does anybody have an update on roads now?

35. Joyce says:

It took me 3 hours to get from Chaska to Bloomington. While I did not see any
    plows or sanders on 212 or 494, I did see Fire and Rescue out helping people
    who had been in the numerous accidents (one small truck was upside down in
    the median on 494). I decided that France Ave exit might be the safest of my choice to get off the freeway but could not make it to the top of the incline.. I managed to get my car over to the left side of the exit by puting my car in reverse and slowly manuvering back and left so other cars could get through.
    Some made it and some did not. Then around mid night two angels (young men from nearby apartments) came to our rescue. They helped many drivers to the right side of the ramp by pushing cars sideways until they could get up on to the grass at the shoulder. Then it was my turn. Thank you angels! God bless you! I am honored to have shaken your hands.

36. janna says:

It would be interesting to know, how MANY, MANY miles of roads in the metro area should be plowed and how frequently they need to be plowed to STAY AHEAD of continued falling freezing drizzle. It would also be interesting to know how many trucks there are to sand/salt all those miles and how much sand/salt one truck can hold and put down before it needs to go back for a MORE sand/salt. And how long does it take or should it take for a truck to be able to cover/traverse all the roads it is assigned to sand/salt when they too should not drive too fast because of other motorists on the road and while also dealing with traffic and road conditions. To me, this is a huge undertaking and people should think through the WHOLE process and all the variables and realize…. the plows cant be everywhere at once, and not always at the same time you are there! Seek first to understand, then to be understood…

1. janna says:

sorry…. I used plowed, when I meant sanded/salted…. my bad…

37. janna says:

@Chris – ditto!

38. Shane Gillespie says:

Well what kind of education did they receive? An online DIY web degree?

39. Shane Gillespie says:

Last time I checked, sentences had periods at the end.

40. Diane says:

ahhhhh….and living in Minnesota all my life and now in beautiful San Diego…..glad I don’t need to deal with that stuff. Yeah yeah, someone is going to say “Well you have earthquakes” – been here for almost 6 years and my house is still standing and I’ve felt a few good sized shakers. How many storms (tornadoes, straight liners, hail, wind, snow, sleet, freezing rain, flooding does one go thru in a year in MN? People who drive on these roads without necessity are just endangering everyone else around them….

41. New Minnesotan..... says:

Hello…Just moved from CHicago and I am familiar w/ rough weather. I was driving home from work last night on I94 b/t St. Paul and MSP and it was VERY scary and dangerous. THe whole time I wondered……WHERE IS MN DOT? I have read a few of the entries and understand that they were bad roads for the salt trucks.. However, shouldn’t the trucks be out salting the roads well before the rain falls and freezes. I have to believe that better preparation could have been made….
    This is November folks…we have A LOT more of MN winter ahead of us and I really hope things get better…..I agree I think government needs to make this a priority. It is far too dangerous to allow this to happen again!

42. Rock says:

Let this be a lesson learned! If the weather is ever predicted to be like this again, MNDOT should be prepared (yep, even if it happens at night) . As a taxpayer, I know MNDOT is receiving some $, so MNDOT better be out there putting salt on the roads😛 Last night I didn’t see any plow trucks until 1 am. I understand that it may be difficult to call the MNDOT workers to come in due to the weather but they should’ve been more prepared. To the people who said, the crashes and spining off the roads could’ve been avoided if the drivers were going slowly, weren’t on the roads so you don’t understand how bad the conditions were. I would love for a local news channel to focus on MNDOT. I would love to know what they are doing with the tax payer’s money. I appreciate the work MNDOT has done but they aren’t doing as much as they did (a few years back). I’m just sayin’.

1. Mn MOM says:

It is funny how people always seem to know that MN DOT or the counties are not spending the tax payers money correctly!! It is so easy to pass judgement!! Stay put..some people have said they were at work and had to leave…what kind of employer is going to say get out..I don’t care if the roads are so bad you kill yourself or others?

43. Melinda Hammersness says:

We left Oakdale headed home to south Minneapolis last night around 11:45. We got onto 94 west at 694, and by the time we got to the Mounds Blvd exit, it was about 3:15 in the morning!!! We took the back roads home from there and got back a little after 4 in the morning. A normally 30 minute drive took us over 4 hours!!! Mn Dot never noted the parking lot the 94 had turned into.

44. Amy Perreira Johnson says:

plain and simple, the roads were terrible last night. Did budget cutting lead to less snow plows and salt trucks out? I do not know. What I do know is that my husband and I traveled 50 miles on terribly icy roads last night, after his band was done playing a gig in St Paul. We saw numerous MNDot vehicles out, and salt was on the road. It was still very slippery.
    Kudos to all the MNDOT and emergency workers who were out last night, doing their best to keep us safe and take care of those who had gotten in accidents.

45. Daniel says:

I agree, WCCO really failed us on this one.

46. FJ says:

It’s stupid to blame people for NOT watching the news before going out in these conditions last night. Most people on the road at that time had been out on the town, and did not have an opportunity to watch weather reports before starting the journey home.

There were a ton of people out last night and most were driving at a very safe 5-10mph on the freeway. The few spin outs I saw were mostly due to inexperience with driving in these conditions. Minnesotans are familiar with driving in snow, but rarely need to drive in the freezing rain we had last night.

I do feel that MNDot should have been out treating the roads before the freezing rain hit. Thank goodness not more people were seriously hurt or killed. It was a very dangerous driving situation.

47. katydid says:

My son was told not to come into work due to road conditions. More companies need to consider this especially if their workers aren’t even going to make it without being 3 or 4 hours late. They should also be letting workers off early.

48. Jeremy says:

MN Dot did a fine job. I was out there on 50th and saw 4 stuck cars in about five minutes. They can’t be everywhere at once and they don’t have some magical ability to just whip sand and salt all over the roads. It pre-salt before every potential storm would cost a fortune here in Minnesota. Think of how many “storms” we get that also never happen.
    Its slow going driving a truck on ice, avoiding cars, and then going back to the depot to get more salt and back and forth all night.
    The roads were much better this morning and that is testament to how hard they work. Unless you work for them, I’d give MN Dot a break. They’d obviously be more effective if we raised some taxes for road maintenance, but “then again we hardly live in an ideal world.”
    In the marine world crap happens and it is ultimately the responsibility of the captain to take responsibility for the safety of his own vessel. The same is true with drivers and their cars. Yeah it was hard driving, but that is beyond anyone’s control. Don’t drive unless you have to. We had three guests stay at my house because it was just too tough to drive.
    Be thankful you weren’t in the Maryland snowstorm last year like I was…. it puts nasty driving in perspective to how well we DO handle adverse driving conditions

49. Peter J says:

I was driving back from Roseville to St. Paul around midnight and I ended up sleeping in my car.

I was stuck in a valley on Larpenteur, and witnessed a lot of cars trying to make it up both the hills. My car is rear-wheel drive and so I knew I wouldn’t have been able to drive up both hills, so I slept in my car in a parking lot.

I know that the plows didn’t start salting until 5am. Soon after 7, Larpenteur was drivable and I slowly made my way home.

50. Tony says:

well said by Sue. There is nothing so important that we must go out and endanger ourselves or others. Common sense can go along way if you use it.

51. lynne says:

The weather was reporting freezing rain hours before it started, actually it began just as they said it would. So, MN DOT should have been out on the roads at that time and all over the place. BUT, it does need to be said that people need to slow down in this state. Some of the worst, most aggressive drivers are in MN, of all places the “MN NICE” state has the meanest drivers? Seriously people, just learn to drive sensibly. For those that said it took quadruple the length of time to get home, I bet you all drove very slow and safely and made it nicer for the other drivers, so thank you!!

52. bj says:

Amen to that Rob! If you walk out to your vehicle or sidewalk and it’s icy then you should have enough common sense to know the roads are going to be icy Some people are always looking for someone else to blame. And many of them are more worried about answering, calling or texting on there cell phones!

53. bj says:

Well duh if it’s raining and it’s below freezing you should have enough common to figure that out! Oh that’s right too many people don’t have common sense any more. Quit looking for someone else to blame rather then taking responsibility for your own actions!

54. SgtUSMarine says:

studded tires

55. Bob says:

Just a thought, But witth that many sand/salt trucks in accidents, maybe they could not get their job done bacause so many peple HAD to get where ever they neede to get to. Maybe if it was so bad they should have stopped driving and let MNdot do there job. Just a thought.

56. ALWAYS BELTED, never on the phone says:

Ice storms happen EVERY winter—usually more than once in a winter. People never seem to remember that bruised tailbone or that slide through the intersection, year to year.

FREEZING RAIN means ice everywhere. People need to slow down or stay home, and to proceed slowly if they venture out.

I am very sad about the 12 year old girl who wasn’t wearing a seat belt and died this morning, KIDS NEED TO BE REMINDED OR FORCED TO WEAR THOSE, and the best way to get them to value the belts is to show them by example.

57. Randy says:

You need a warning! Just look outside! It’s called taking responsibility all you morons should try it sometime. I didn’t grow up here and even I had enough common sense to see it was too icy to even use the sidewalk, only an idiot would’ve driven in this. If you went out and drove in this and crashed it was your own fault. Not WCCO’s or the government. Get a clue. This is exactly what is wrong with America. No one wants to be responsible for themselves.

58. Carla says:

May I please add to these comments that there is no excuse to not wear a seat belt at any time much less an evening such as last night. Please wear your seat belt this upcoming travel weekend and do not text.

59. Mike Clark says:

I know of 1 courier company that pulled their drivers off the road overnight, due to the extreme driving conditions. Smart thinking on their part

60. Billy H says:

“Minnesota nice”? You dummies. Its MINNESOTA ICE, wake up!!!!!

61. Nancy up North says:

It’s MN!!! You know darn well what happens in MN weather wise. ANYTHING! We can use air conditioning and heaters in the same day. 5 minutes or 5 miles and the weather will change. The forecasters have been warning us of this for a while now. A sporting event or Harry Potter wasn’t worth your life was it?
    I know the Viking game sure as hell wasn’t.

MN Smart!

62. rj says:

I went home Saturday evening, and planned my outing to be over and us home before 10 as the weatherman predicted BAD weather coming. I felt bad for workers I knew who couldn’t plan as well. I’m betting a lot of the same ‘me first’ driving I see at rush hour caused a lot of the problems. Between that and all of the ‘new’ winter weather drivers we have, there was more than one reason to stay home. If there is ice, there is NO traction, no matter how big your car or truck is—as we also saw with the fire truck on the news. Patience, patience people. I bet if you were one of the people waiting to be pulled out of the ditch or away from other cars that crashed you wished for a ‘do over’ to make a better decision on whether or not to drive if your trip was optional!!!

63. Murph says:

Some of us stayed home and saved some money ! Sounds like too many others didn’t!

64. low cost seo services says:

obviously like your web-site but you have to check the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome to inform the reality nevertheless I’ll surely come again again.