Man Arrested In Hastings Hate Graffiti

HASTINGS, Minn. (WCCO) — Police have made an arrest in the case of hateful graffiti messages discovered a week ago.

Investigators believe the spray-painted racial slurs and other hateful messages were left on the 500 block of 18th Street West at about 2 a.m. Dec. 3. Homes, a garage and a vehicle were vandalized with the messages. Some of them couldn’t be shown on WCCO-TV and others had misspellings and didn’t make sense.

Thursday evening, officers arrested 19-year-old Alex Russel Nowlan of Hastings on probable cause of felony criminal damage to property, according to police.

In all, police say six properties were damaged and it will cost tens of thousands of dollars for people to repair and clean up. Cold temperatures also make the cleanup more difficult.

Investigators have not yet established the motive for the crime, which could be important. If it can be proven the damage was driven by hate or bias, it could result in a more serious charge than if that were not the case.

Comments

1. G-man says:

The home owners shouldn’t have to clean up the graffiti, the person responsible for the damage should be made to restore the homes and vehicles to their pre-vandalized condition. This guy should not get off easy.

2. BostonBob says:

Insurance carriers likely shall hang his Ar$@ – as they well should. What a senseless stupid act. Punk must be a total moron

3. Pate says:

I’m a bit surprised that it was an ‘adult’,but not so surprised that he was 19 years old,either.The sad thing is he’s making other young people look bad for being an idiot.

4. Minnesota says:

I think he’s sniffin more paint than he’s sprayin!

5. Kevin says:

White kid….= Federal Hate Crime…..tough one kid….

6. Anon says:

This Man is a Punk. HE went to school with my sister, and he is a straight up loser. I saw the houses he painted, and it really hit me. This is Bull$hit. Im embarrassed to live in Hastings.

1. Vicki says:

Yeh; I would be embarrassed to live in Hastings too!!!!!!

7. Ignorance must be bliss says:

I do not agree with what this person did but I do have to say that I find the term “hate crime” funny. I never got into a fight with someone I liked nor have I heard of this happening. When has anyone ever heard of 2 people fighting and then when the fight is done saying they love each other? “Hate crimes” are bogus and should be called what they are and just drop the “hate” out of it.