Saints Want A New Stadium, Too

By Steve Murphy, NewsRadio 830 WCCO

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — As the Minnesota Vikings continue their rush for a new stadium, the St. Paul Saints are making their own pitch for a new ballpark.

Team Vice President Tom Whaley said the Saints and city officials will ask the legislature for about $25 million to help build a ballpark in the Lowertown district, near the downtown St. Paul Farmer’s Market.

“Just based on how the facility gets used, we and others seem to think there’s a good case for state involvement,” Whaley said.

The current ballpark in St. Paul’s midway is used by several teams, including Hamline University, the American Legion and the State High School League.

The Saints envision a 7,000-seat ballpark costing a total of about $35 million.

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Steve Murphy Reports

Comments

1. jack says:

if they want state money the should change the name to Minnesota Saints

1. brandon says:

thats stupid. they are a minor leauge team jack

2. me says:

Good lord…everyone wants a new stadium….

3. red says:

Spare me, I’m not giving Vikings money and I’m certainly not giving Saints money

4. Stacy says:

They are just paving the way for the new stadium, but I don’t think that a local team should get state money. There are several minor legue teams in MN, active in those communities, there is no way the state would pay for new stadiums for them. St Paul, The Saints, Local Businesses and all of the other organizations should fund the stadium. The state could give them some type of tax break on the stadium, but not fund it.

5. Krissi says:

Is anyone else getting sick of hearing “we want, we want” all the time? I tell my kids that if I ever hear them say that, they for sure aren’t getting it.🙂

6. Thiced TAXED says:

No Tax money to any of them!

I just paid 7.25% sales TAX to replace the glass on the door mirror of my car today! Why doesn’t the government just charge me 100% tax, because that what is coming too.

I refuse to pay anymore taxes to build a NFL stadium to make a billionaire richer!

Kapeesh!.. Republican’s and so called Tea Party members!

7. Ignorance must be bliss says:

I WANT A STADIUM TOO WHERE IS MY $!!!!!!!

8. t says:

Make the teams pay for it. IF they want one so bad make them pay. I am tired of paying for things I do not need or want. any more fields need to be paid by the players and owners. Enough is Enough.

9. Bob says:

When is WCCO going to quit running these “Stadium” articles. They are running them every single day of the week, and it’s getting really old.

10. Dan says:

If I want to build a new home – I take out a loan if I don’t have the cash. How hard is that for a sports team to comprehend — minor or major league. Maybe these guys should finish college before they take up playing sports or pretending to be ‘owners’. You own, you pay pal.

1. Support the Saints says:

Dan, it’s because when you build your home, it has a very small impact on local businesses. Imagine the impact you have…maybe 1 extra person in the community. Now, imagine a ball park…which seats 7500 people, takes 400 people to operate (food stands, janitorial, maintenance people, etc) and will be used 210 times per year by the Saints, local high schools, colleges, etc., The impact to the community is much larger than your one house…therefore deserves state money.

11. Support the Saints says:

The Saints are contributing $10 Million over a period of time. Investment in communities is important o stimulate the economy, create jobs and ensure our future. Go to Fargo and check out their stadium. North Dakota is investing in its future. Don’t stand in the way of progress.

1. Dan says:

I stand corrected. However, when a owner makes millions of $ off the subsidized property and these major leagues can pay players millions of dollars per catch or at bat, it is difficult for me to comprehend. Their contribution should be more to build — we have been sucked into this form of entertainment.