Gas Leak Concern Forces Austin Building Evacuation
AUSTIN, Minn. (AP) — Austin’s Main Street has reopened after part of the street was shut down because of a potential gas leak.
Police cordoned off a portion of Main Street in front of the building that houses the Coffeehouse on Main around 8:15 a.m. Monday after someone complained of a natural gas smell.
The building was evacuated as a precaution.
Fire Chief Mickey Healey investigated to make sure there wasn’t a buildup of natural gas in the building, which could cause an explosion.
The Austin Daily Herald reports the building and that section of Main Street were both open again by 9:15 a.m. after Healey determined the building was safe.
Healey says a buildup of snow and ice in the ventilation system had caused natural gas to bounce back into the building.