Roseville K9, Major, Won’t Regain Use Of Hind Legs

ROSEVILLE, Minn. (WCCO) — The Roseville Police Department’s injured K9, Major, will not regain the use of his hind legs, the department reported Wednesday.

A University of Minnesota Veterinary Center specialist broke the unfortunate news Tuesday to Officer John Jorgensen, Major’s partner since 2003.

Major was stabbed several times while searching for suspects in an attempted burglary from early November in Maplewood. Roel Joseph Perez, Jr., 21, of Maplewood, was charged with possession of burglary tools, attempted theft and harming a public safety dog.

The department said Major will continue therapy at the University of Minnesota in order to gain control over his bodily functions. When Major is not at therapy, he remains home with his family.

The department said they extend “their deepest appreciation to everyone for their continued support and concern during this difficult time.” They also noted that the city has received hundreds of call of support for Major and Officer Jorgensen.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Jayne Rasmussen says:

Will they be in need of a “wheelchair” for Major – the ones that allow the dog to walk with the help of wheels to the rear? I’m about to lose my job to India, but would like to contribute a little bit to the cost?

1. Lisa Marie says:

I would also love to contribute to the wheelchair that will give Major help in his recovery- I felt so terrible about the whole incident- Im just happy he has a loving family that will take care of him – Hes one lucky Puppy!

2. Stacy Kurkowski says:

Jayne-
      That is an excellent idea. I would like to contribute as well.

3. Lisa Marie Chesner says:

Good idea Jayne – look how your generocity is going to help this dog- if we can get more people he will have his ability to walk again- all because you started this- your a very good person for thinking of this

Lisa Marie Chesner please contact me by email chewychubakah2008@yahoo.com

4. Stace says:

Jayne, that’s brilliant. Email me at sassystacie13@yahoo.com.

2. AbbyBlu-Lab/Husky Mix says:

I too would like to contribute…………..
    Great idea Jayne!!!

3. cbrum says:

4. Stace says:

I, too, would like to contribute – and to keep Perez in prison. Jayne – if you want to get something started, email me at sassystacie13@yahoo.com.

5. Elizabeth says:

How can we contribute? I want to as well.

6. sherry says:

I would be more than happy to contribute towards getting this four legged hero a wheelchair. Just let me know where to send the donation.

7. kristina says:

I would like to contribute too! Whenever someone knows how to donate money for him, please post something on here or email me please.. garz0039@umn.edu

8. Olaf says:

Feed Perez to the dogs !

1. blaine says:

thats to good for him, let him rot.

2. Jane Kulas says:

amen…let Perez have it!

Thank God for brave dogs like Major…thank God he was saved!

9. Mary of Eagan says:

you should open an account so that people can help contribute to this hero’s care. I would be willing to start a fund at work. Put this on the news so that people can help.

10. bubba says:

Why dont We make the guys who did this pay for it !!!! I think a 25 year sentence is appropriate for him.

11. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

I built a wheel chair for a dog we had years ago. I would be more than happy to build him one. I worked great in the house and the yard. Please have him email me, or if you read this please I would enjoy doing this for Major
    mark@mntaxwaste.com

12. Elizabeth 2 says:

Jayne, what a wonderful idea! I also would love to contribute to Major’s care. WCCO, would you be able to follow up with his family regarding his future care needs and where to send donations?

To Mark from mntaxwaste: what a kind and generous offer!!

13. Nanci says:

I agree…a fund for the wheelchair would be great. You are a brave boy Major and I know you can have a wonderful life ahead with your family.

14. Joan says:

Won’t the city pay for this as Major was a public servant, injured while working???

15. janna says:

Joan – I was wondering the same thing – also wouldnt the dogs have been insured for medical expenses as well, possibly including adaptive equipment? But yes, very kind of all to offer to contribute!

16. Cynthia says:

I would love to help as well. Please let me know how I can contribute. Bubba, I agree with you. Just string the guy up!! Major is a hero and needs our help. How can we get this going?

17. Billy says:

What a great idea. I love dogs and have two German Sheperds myself,(“Jack and Jill”}.

I would be more than happy to contribute.

18. Billy says:

I am glad that Major has such a great master that cares for him soo.

19. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

Has anyone found a fund for Major yet? Or a contact for the owner? Please email me mark@mntaxwaste.com

20. Larsonian says:

Count me in on a contribution for Major. And totally agree with cbrum – I would like to contribute tax payers dollars to keep Perez in prison for the rest of his life.

21. Tc Radiodj says:

I would love to donate, even host a benefit for John and Major. If that is a interest, please go to my website and email me. http://www.prohostkaraoke.com

22. Mandy says:

These k9’s are amazing!!! I remember a couple of years ago when the St.Paul/Mpls K9 police had a show on tv and it was just amazing to watch and see just what these dogs and their handlers are capable of doing!! The bond between them is incredible in itself!! My thoughts and prayers go out to Major, Officer Jorgensen and their family… Also to all of you wonderful people willing to donate your time, money and skills to buy/make a wheelchair for this poor dog that put his life on the line for John and keeping all of us safe!!

23. Deb Rankin-Moore says:

I would like to see funds raised to train a new canine officer for the city of Roseville. They are a valuable tool in fighting crime, as evidenced by the sacrifice that Major has suffered.

24. Martiey Miller says:

I had a corgi with back problems and he was in a “dog cart” for two years. It’s a wonderful invention and intervention. Where may I contribute to help Major?

25. Rebecca says:

I feel bad for Major. I hope that there are plans to award him for the sacrifice he made that day. He is a beautiful dog, and deserves all the spoiling he can get!!!

26. Ruth A. Hinnenkamp says:

Please address your donations to:
    K9 Unit
    Roseville Police Department
    2660 Civic Center Drive
    Roseville, Minnesota 55113

The City of Roseville has a fund set up for Major’s medical bills. Not cheap at the “U” – but excellent care. Go Major!

27. Dee Dee says:

wow. I do feel bad for the dog and its great that so many people jumped up with cash donations for a wheelchair for him but I can’t help but wonder how much better our society would be if we were this quick to help each other out. Wouldn’t have much need for welfare and government interferrence now would we?? Just saying…

28. ALICIA says:

I am very thankful that we have K9’s in our police force. German Shepards are amazing dogs and Major unfortunately got hurt in this mission of his … he is here to help and protect our lives. I am MORE THAN WILLING to help contribute to his rehabilitation since he can’t get help through government programs that us citizens have. I am so proud of everyone who is willing to help this amazing dog along the road to recovery, as much as he can. THANK YOU MAJOR FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR US!

29. Michelle says:

I would love to help out with something for major. I have a couple of dog friends that have used Eddies Wheels in the past. Here is his link:

30. nicole says:

Thank you major. I would love to donate to funds to help him.

31. Faith123 says:

I would also like to contribue for wheels for our hero Major. Please print an article with the information on where to send the $$.

32. Candace says:

I would be happy to contribute to this hero, as well. I know he will be well taken care of and loved. I support Home for Life; they have many disabled animals and do such great work! Let me know if you set up a fund for the wheelchair. We don’t have much, but will send what we can.

33. Dee says:

Please direct your donations to the Roseville K-9 unit to the address mentioned above. You can attention it to “Majors care and recovery” Please never send any donations to strangers. As well meaning as most people are on here and I’m sure 99% of you are honest and caring but there could always be one scammer out there just waiting to take advantage of good hearted citizens. Just sayin… There is already a managed account set up for Major. Also please contact the Roseville police dept if you have any questions on other types of donations. Major is in good hands!

34. sirius attitude says:

There is a company that is contributing the rear wheel outfit for major at no cost. The wheel chair will have a beauitful paint job also.

35. Jane says:

Thanks to the U of M and officer John for taking great care of Major. He deserves the best.