Man Dies Of CO Poisoning In Fish House

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Authorities are investigating after a man died of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning while in his fish house on Lake Elizabeth, near the city of Atwater.

The Kandiyohi County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call from a friend of the man who said they found him unresponsive in his fish house.

The man, identified as Sidney Ray Schmidt, 40, of Gibbon, Minn., was transported to Rice Memorial Hospital, where he later died.

Initial investigation indicates Schmidt’s cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Atwater Fire Department was summoned back to the scene, after received reports that the person who found Schmidt was also suffering from respiratory issues.

He was also transported to Rice Hospital.

The incident is under investigation.

Comments

1. Darien says:

R.I.P we will never forget you and we deeply miss you:)

2. Brittany says:

Really gonna miss you!!!! You always watched out for me just like family…. but i know you still will be watchin out for all of us

3. Rich says:

God Bless his family,I use a C.O. dectector in my fish house just to be safe,everybody should use one just in case there is a ventilation or heater problem

1. mwern says:

We use the C.O. detector also and a warning to all Ice Fishers as this is nothing to play around with. I’m so anal about venilation in our Fish House. Sad indeed and my thoughts are with the Family.

4. Tina says:

I am sorry for you loss I dont know you all but my heart aches for you and you are in my prayers God Bless you all he is gone but lives on in you all every day so he will never be forgetten

5. Brian says:

He was a great, caring guy that would help anyone out. He had a laugh you could pick out in a crowd of people, and it was contagious. You will be sadly missed by all, but never forgotten!!

6. Danielle says:

He is gonna be missed by many in this community! He is/was a great father, husband and friend! And now he will be a Great Angel in heaven watching over all of us!

1. charlie says:

Im so sorry this has happened my heart and prayers go out to your family………..

1. Charles says:

He’s an idot!

7. Mike Hunt says:

I’m sorry to hear of this tragady, my prayers go out to the family & friends of this
    person. I am also a ice fisherman. Very sad.

8. Kathy says:

Brent and Charles

Please, please find something else to do, than to poorly comment on this situation. This is a sad sad time for this family!!

This is a situation that, yes, a C.O. detector could have prevented this – that is why it is called an accident. Please give this family some conderation and really…..a parking space Brent.

I know of too many people who complained about their own family member of doing dumb things to only wish that once they were gone (died) – they realized that it was only a little thing. We have only today, tomorrow is a gift. What are you going to do with your tomorrow???

WCCO – my concern with this comment area – is that it seems to bring more negativity than something possitive. I have read the comments on several reports and wow it just seams to be a breeding ground for anger and self distruction.

9. Larry Sunde says:

As an avid ice fisherman I can understand how this can happen and the family has my deepest condolances. Hope this is a waning to all of our ice fishing friends.

10. Teresa says:

Am a distant family member. Please have consideration for familys’ feelings. It is a sad accident. Think before you write something cruel that the kids might read PLEASE.

11. larry says:

Same guy that shot a girl and left her for dead.