Lesbian Student Grateful For Pep Rally Decision

By Reg Chapman, WCCO-TV

CHAMPLIN, Minn. (WCCO) — A lesbian couple enrolled at the Anoka-Hennepin School District will be allowed to walk together in a high school procession.

Earlier this week, Desiree Shelton and her girlfriend Sarah Lindstrom were told they could not walk together in the Snow Days procession.

Without admission of fault or wrongdoing, the Anoka-Hennepin School District and Champlin Park High School worked together to come up with an agreement that will allow the two students, and any other same-sex couples, the opportunity to not be excluded from their high school procession.

“After today, I think that working with the school and creating these changes is really positive and really good for everyone,” said Shelton. “This is what we both have been hoping for. We both are looking forward to it.”

Shelton says when she was selected as a member of this year’s royalty court she never imagined she would be told her girlfriend could not walk with her during the procession.

“I didn’t think we were going to get turned down. I didn’t think it would be any problem. We had it arranged with two other boys, and when we were told we couldn’t do it we were extremely disappointed,” said Shelton.

That disappointment led to a lawsuit against the Anoka-Hennepin School District and Champlin Park High School. This afternoon both sides met at the Federal Court house in St. Paul. There they hammered out an agreement that gave both sides a victory.

“Now the plan is, instead of royalty being confined to choose a partner from within royalty, they can choose anyone any significant person in their life to be in the procession with them if they would like,” said Sam Wolfe, lead attorney with the Southern Poverty Law Center.

The school district says it views this arrangement as an opportunity for ongoing conversation about school events and activities and for consideration of other ideas that will make the school’s communities inclusive and would enable them to realize the district-wide objective of honoring all students.

“I hope it brings about a lot of changes, and not just our district but other districts that have problems with LGBT issues,” Shelton said.

She hopes this agreement is the catalyst for discussion that will lead to more LGBT students feeling comfortable with who they are, and feeling included in all school-related activities.

Snow Days is like homecoming for the basketball team and, according to Shelton, it is a big deal to many students.

Shelton says she hopes the district is serious about its stance that administrators, staff and all students, including LGBT students, will be involved in future conversations about being respectful and inclusive of all students.

More from Reg Chapman
Comments

1. StraycatStrut says:

Yet another weak story on Liberal ‘CCO- BS news

1. Cat says:

I can’t agree more. Still seems like DFL Don is still there. Who cares? I don’t. Tabloid Media, just trying to cause the very controversy and drive up hate only to sell a story.

1. tiredandretired says:

Too much energy being wasted on hatred. We have bigger fish to fry.

2. Steve says:

Live your life the way you want and let others do the same. Without the hate you may sleep better at night.

3. Rita says:

Have a little hate in your heart there Craven. They have pills for that condition.

1. Dana says:

Rita you must be on one of those pills. Your brain is not working this morning.They have pills for that to.

4. Sam says:

So what is next for you if one in your family is gay. Honor killings

1. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

@Sam why do you hate people because of their opinion?

5. Joe says:

Well John Doe, If your going back to your bible and what your saying is what your believe in your heart is correct then we will start off with your Adam and your Eve. You dislike gays but incest is ok with you. I would say what the is wrong with you. What happened with the children of your Adam and Eve or are there parts you are leaving out.

1. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

@Joe Why do you have to go just as low with your comments? Rise above that.

2. Joe Black says:

@ Joe, the last time I checked, 2 males could not procreate and 2 females could not procreate.

6. Jeff says:

I can’t believe you are so ignorant to post these messages. Keep clutching your bible and see where it gets you. If it truly is Adam and Eve we are the creation of millennial of incest and as a result would be a mentally and physically defective species. Try ans argue that fact. You hate mongers are the problem in this world worry less about who someone choses to love and more about the stupid things you chose to do, like post a negative comment about this story!

1. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

@Jeff SO let me ask you something. Why is it when people post comments why they don’t like this it is HATE, but when you post your comments it’s OK?

1. bluepmil says:

You two are idiots. As for the gays, you choose to go down on your partner and expect me to give you the status as minority? Give you special exceptions?

7. Kevin says:

Umm..which one is the man? God will judge….not you…….

8. Bill says:

Are those cold sores?

1. BANDIT says:

Could you emagine what the bait box looks like.

9. Steve says:

Boycott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Victim Du Jour says:

Public Schools are for math, biology, and science.

1. Straight As They Come says:

Schools are for learning HOW to think, not WHAT to think

1. Doggone It All says:

gads almighty – I am actually agreeing with Victim for once. There is first for eveything I guess😉

2. Victim Du Jour says:

Anything in public schools that doesn’t revolve around Math, Science and Biology can afford to be cut from public funding.

11. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

This is so wrong for all the right reasons

12. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

One thing I have noticed here is that when people object to this they are hated and put down. They are just stating their opinion, there is something wrong with that. There is nothing in the Constitution that says that you have the right to not be offended. Lots of HATE coming from the Liberals, to much hate

1. lib says:

Well Mark you disagreed with a liberal, so they shout loud and use ridicule. Go to an institue of higher learning it is basic liberalism 101.

13. John says:

mark from mntaxwaste.com – I see you’re getting your talking points from Rush. Nice way to try to turn the tables.

1. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

@John Sorry pal, I don’t like Rush, to far to the right for me.

2. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

@John, I am not turning the tables, I just had a question, thats all.

14. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

As a Catholic I don’t support this at all, as an American I do.

1. bluepmil says:

you’re an idiot.

1. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

@bluepil can you please follow that up with something with substance, and not hatred for others

15. Melissa L says:

If you are a Christian, as your comment implies, then why are you judging? One of the first concepts in the Christian religion is to not judge. Think about it, maybe at church this morning.

1. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

@Melissa You are right, I am not to judge as a Catholic, but as a man I do. There is a difference just as you called me a Christian. There is a difference between a Christian and a Catholic, A VERY BIG DIFFERENCE

16. Pyro says:

Sheesh! Off topic much?
    This isn’t the forum to debate the virtues of Catholicism over Christianity (which baffles me) or why everybody who disagrees is an idiot.
    Stay on topic!
    I disagree with the gay lifestyle too, however we are free moral agents; free to decide the course of our lives.
    BUT
    when your choices start impinging on my life and the way I want to live it or foisting the values of a minority on the majority, then we are on a collision course. Not to say they can’t live their lives the way they want, I simply will not be coerced into going along with giving them special license over anybody else, including moi. That undermines the “all men are created equal” passage in the Declaration of Independence. Special license is akin to saying that some men are more equal than others, and that don’t float my boat.
    I might be wrong.

17. iva opinion says:

GOD IS LOVE

1. Tom Meoff says:

maybe. was God gay is my question?

2. DaveM says:

Then why do you think God created Hell, and intends to send a good number of people there for eternity?

18. drew says:

Their parents, grandparents, relatives, etc. must be sooo proud of them.

19. Bandit says:

20. Gary says:

I would really like to go in the girl’s bathroom, and sniff the toilet seat’s. Doe’s anyone see anything wrong with that?? I would be a minority, right.

21. pondering needs some help here says:

I still struggle with the whole thing if I am honest here.
    That being stated I also have known many gay couples – after the fact actually as I may have avoided the deal otherwise – and found them to maybe be better parents that many I know. Maybe it’s they are more emotional and understanding with kids? – I do not know.
    My issue today remains when this whole debate gets front page news, both sides of this get all excited, often time the spokesperson/front person/ whomever to often appears, visually, to be pretty “non-mainstream” as many of us think of America and Kabooooom. Here this erupts do to this counter-culture thing. If gays really desire acceptance maybe the simplest and best way to do so is go about their business daily, deal with the issues behind the doors, if it does come out front maybe use a spokeperson who looks mainstream and avoid starting the opinion poll thing. just a thought …

22. BANDIT says:

PEP RALLYS are gay.

23. MarkFrank says:

At Bandit; you may have stated in jest but this indeed is the answer that will provide the solution to the dilema. Magical !!!!!!

“Bandit

I think gays should be together. This way there will be no way they can reproduce. This gene will be filtered out after time.”

1. BANDIT says:

This was not in jest !!! It is a fact and if you let them be they will be eliminated by lack of reproduction. SMILE !!!!

1. D says:

I am gay and had two straight parents who had straight grandparents who had straight great grandparents. Actually I am pretty sure most gays had straight parents. You lost me on this argument Bandit.

24. Rob says:

Adam and Eve, the Bible, or any arguments following this logic are completely irrelevant. The legal system of this country is not based in religious doctrine, we have a separation of church and state. The freedom of religion allows you to practice and believe what ever faith you choose. Although, freedom of religion does not grant the right to limit the rights and freedoms of others whose actions are in conflict with your faith. Sexual orientation is not un-constitutional, or a violation of others rights. Therefore people that choose this lifestyle are protected under the constitution to the same legal rights, treatment, and opportunities as the rest of us. If you think gay marriage is an abomination, then don’t let gays marry in your church, don’t have the church recognize the union, you have that right. There are great examples of countries that bases their legal systems in religious doctrine: Iran, Afghanistan (Taliban), Saudi Arabia, ect. Iran may be a better place for many American’s as “they have no gays” (Amedinijad, Columbia University)

25. Sheila H says:

Everyone needs to answer to their God in due time. First command of God is to love God with all your heart and soul, the second command is to love your neighbor as your self. I think if we were about taking care of the love in our own homes, it will expand into our communitys and take care of it self. And as far as living in America, we are the country of controversey and if it works for us we embrass it but if it dosent then then we fight it. Cant have it both ways.

26. rural says:

Do they get to walk together during the rally or the coronation? If its the rally, they (participants) should be able to walk with who they want. If it is during the coronation, they should walk with the appointed partner. 4 or 5 gals and 4 or 5 guys. This should be a non-issue. Why is the school even involved in who each person walks with?

27. Dave N says:

There are some really arrogant Christians. This is not a question about religious views. This is a question about human fairness. We are one of the most religiously diverse countries in the world and for one religion to think they are better or more right than another is silly. And for any religion to force their views on another is wrong. Furthermore, our schools and government are suppose to be operating under separation of government and religion and therefore religion should not be part of the equation in determining whether these two girls should be able to walk together. Put religion aside and think about this at the most basic level, each person should have the same right to walk hand in hand with another person of choice. And lastly people, this is Snow Days not your sister’s wedding. Although if it was your sister hopefully you be a much more accepting.

1. Denese Washington says:

Very well put!!!

2. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

@Dave The problem with your argument is that most people who have a strong faith, use that faith as part of their view. But your comments are well said.

28. Denese Washington says:

Wow!!! Freedom of speech, religion, judging others, hate mongers…..Everyone has a right to their own opinion, regardless of whether the next man or woman chooses to agree/disagree….I honestly could care less about the teens choices or the rights that they have been given…..But think about this, how many times have you watched the news or read a news article where a teen has taken his or her life due to bullying or otherwise? On another note, There was a comment made by PYRO and it refers to a passage from the Declaration of Independence–“all men are created equal”, within that same passage though, it also states that we have a right to “life, liberty and the pursuit of HAPPINESS”. Does the choice that these 2 teenagers have made not fall under that category?

29. voice of reason says:

Ok, enough of the God talk. Why do we have coronations in the first place? They are really an antiquated leftover of a bygone era in American culture. Haven’t we learned anything? It’s simply a popularity contest that angers, belittles, and further alienates the disenfranchised. Maybe what CPHS, Anoka-Hennepin, and every other school district in the US really needs to do is end this practice of showboating students without merit.

30. Kevin says:

You can not say God in public schools….but you can disucss gay pride? This Nation is coming to an end! And we are all just sitting here watching…..

31. just my opinion says:

If your gay your gay but can you stop force feeding/shoving your life style down our throats already?

32. BANDIT says:

@D- I think your dad’s probly gay but was afraid to come out of the closet. I am sure after church your dad was hooking up with the priest. Now you can be loud and proud and adopt some poor kid and force you sausage packing way of life on him or her. It’s wrong and it’s destroying the moral values of the human race. But try and tell that to a buch of fairys.

33. Vet says:

Who cares is you are gay or straight. Bottom line is that there are a lot of traditions that many people hold dear. Why change them? I mean really, just so someone isn’t offended? This generation is the laziest of the lazy. They are a disgrace and have no backbone, I have no idea where they get their sense of entitlement. I am embarrassed that no one can have a little thick skin. The greatest generation (WWII) looks down at this disgraceful generation and realizes that they will make the country that they fought to preserve a weaker place. They are weak, immature and quite frankly a bunch of whining whimps. Even our schools are suffering, they are too concerned about constantly building up a kids self esteem that they aren’t learning what it is to do a bad job and this is creating a grotesque sense of entitlement among them when they don’t get the job done. They can’t stand to get their feelings hurt, or be offended without crying and whining about it and suing someone. Embarrassing, just completly embarrassing.

34. disgusted says:

the bible clearly says ADAM and EVE–not Anna and eve or adam and steve!!!!!!!! they shouldn’t have been allowed to march– talk about cramming something wrong down everyone’s throats

1. Lisa N says:

This has nothing to do with Adam or Eve or their fictitious alter egos. Remember separation of church and state!?!?

35. Sarah says:

Ah yes, pulling the gender card, “Smooth Move”, and the lawsuit, because you can’t get your way, “Savy”.

I’m sure these two young women will continue to use threats to get what they want later in life…

1. Julie says:

In work that’s called a “b”

2. lib says:

You are so right sarah, this was all just a ploy, and don’t think the school wasn’t in on it.

1. Sarah says:

The school caved in because of the lawsuit. The girls wore the pants, not the school.

36. ohoh says:

Are these girls being encouraged to engage in sexual conduct by this school?

37. pat says:

The very minute they make gay marraige legal my sister and I are going to apply for a marraige license.

38. Victim Du Jour says:

Public School children have a right to go to school without being bullied around by liberal activists.

39. Jake says:

Is that herpes scattered about “his” face? or perhaps a piercing gone bad? Whatever it is, good luck and I’m sure your grandparents are very proud of you two.

40. Robert Hagedorn says:

God did make Adam and Eve, but Adam and Steve could have done the same thing Adam and Eve did. Also, apples grow on apple trees, but what fruit grows on the tree of knowledge of good and evil? Do a search: THE FIRST SCANDAL.

41. Joe says:

This is good and all and happy for these kids. But can they at least update the website? This has been a top story on here for how many days????

42. kdp says:

Pardon me while I puke! It’s simply wrong.

1. Liz says:

It’s your right to puke and believe it is wrong. I personally think it is great and will be having a glass of wine to celebrate their happiness.

43. Sara says:

Gross. That’s just discusting.

1. Sarah L says:

You think love is disgusting? I feel bad for you. Just because you don’t agree doesn’t make it wrong.

44. Sara says:

Can’t we find anything more useful to do with our tax dollars? And..by the way..ick….what high schooler really knows what they want in life anyway? I think it’s just a popularity scam. Yeah..that’s really cool. NOT.

1. Leave it be says:

Until I see some evidence, I doubt this cost any meaningful tax dollars. It was resolved in a couple of days. And I am pretty darn sure that every highschooler knows whether they are gay or not by the time the are 18 as these girls are. Leave them be, they were fighting for their rights. You don’t have to agree with it but the simple fact is that is the fair thing to do.

45. KracktKrock says:

allow them to breed too

46. dating says:

Change Proportion,access old their write chance adopt art outcome injury different argue mainly public think regulation trip let medical find reader rather mind officer air avoid technical version hope save past yard data status real ignore blue normal follow authority with module ever household nobody define whereas ever whether cat act annual in ear enter form official imagine recently responsible price establishment fuel can withdraw himself worker to shoot foundation film okay train leaf copy achieve sign personal wash picture sufficient woman knowledge almost dead worker release

47. Tennymorgan says:

check this link, knock off louis vuitton bags to get new coupon