Hecker Gives Exclusive Interview From Jail

By Esme Murphy, WCCO-TV

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Fallen auto mogul Denny Hecker found out last week that he’s going to spend at least the next seven years in prison. In a call from jail Thursday, however, he told WCCO-TV in an exclusive interview that what he’s really worried about is his girlfriend’s future.

Christi Rowan will be sentenced next week for lying on a car lease application and bankruptcy fraud.

“She is probably the greatest woman I have ever met in my life,” he said. “All I can do is hope and pray that she gets probation.”

Hecker blames himself for the trouble she’s facing.

“She has become my love of my life and she has been very supportive, and frankly there are not a lot of people who have been supportive of me,” he said.

Rowan told WCCO-TV last November that Hecker is her “soul mate” and that they “have a synergy that is beyond words.”

One of the more startling twists in the Hecker saga was the allegation that Hecker and Rowan tried to pull off a wedding while he was meeting with his legal team in the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

When asked if they were going to get married, Hecker replied with, “everything going on right now, if we were, I couldn’t tell you. I wouldn’t want anything to screw up her sentencing.”

Hecker says he and Rowan are writing a book together that he is convinced will be a bestseller.

“The book will be about things in life and, quite frankly, how you go from riches to bankruptcy to jail,” he said.

He said life in jail has an upside: he has lost 25 pounds.

“I am really on a big workout program. I am eating very healthy and I have basically become a vegetarian since I have been here,” he said.

He says he regrets forging a document to get millions in financing. He says he is paying the price for that now.

He said gets angry when he is compared to Tom Petters.

“Mine wasn’t a Ponzi scheme,” he said. “I lost a $100 million of my own money.”

According to Hecker, other family members have been devastated by his reversal of fortune. His older sister, Beverly Hecker, collapsed after talking to reporters last week after his sentencing and is still in intensive care.

From jail, Hecker says his greatest fear now is that his Rowan will be sent to jail when she is sentenced. She could face up to six months in prison.

WCCO’s Esme Murphy Interviews Denny Hecker

Part One

Part Two

More from Esme Murphy
Comments

1. Bergermeister says:

An upside to jail? Really? How can there be an upside when you’ve got children out there? He doesn’t mention his kids which speaks volumes. He is more concerned about how his girlfriend will fare. Hecker should be grateful he only got 10 yrs. For the amount of money he scammed and the lives affected he should have gotten at least gotten 40 yrs.

1. hoover says:

I agree – it’s all about him. He stole money from funds set aside for his children and he just keeps talking and acting like he’s a victim. He has no shame – what a horrible human being he is.

2. Ignorance must be bliss says:

“frankly there are not a lot of people who have been supportive of me” Like you have earned it? Why does he still have the attitude that he is a victim here? They should put another 2 years on his sentence just for still being that big of an ass. You made the bed now sleep in it, stop crying and own up to YOUR problems Denny, you pansy.

2. reagan says:

I really despise the fact that these LOSERS can write a book about their CRIMES and become wealthy off of the proceeds. I would hope that poeple realise what they are attempting to do and abstain from purchasing the book.

3. cjane1953 says:

In that case, Denny should be sent to Club Fed, where he’ll be assigned a personal trainer and given a free membership in PETA.

4. Common Sense up North says:

He is such a puke. Did he forget the people that helped him pull this off and hide money? How about his ex-father in law, and Leach? It’s not all about you Denny.

5. EasyNowPardner says:

what I despise is who friggen much coverage ‘cco gives to Rowan and Hecker. Is business that bad for them?

6. Sean says:

The worse thing he could do for his girlfriend is open his big mouth now before sentencing. How did this idiot ever make a dollar/

7. MAJ says:

Will the kids still go to Blake or Breck????? Be terrible if they had to go to a public school. What would that do to their self esteme. Hope the food is good at the Sherburne Co. jail.

8. Jason says:

KSTP had the EXCLUSIVE, last week.

9. We says:

Really Denny what a sham shut up and go away!

10. sws says:

Please stop reporting about Denny Heker’s whining!!! I’m sick of hearing about him and his self-caused problems. He’s just trying to con the public into giving him and his accomplices any liniency he can get away with.

11. And that's what I have to say about that says:

He says he lost $100 million of his own money, huh? Hey, dummy, you can’t count what you stole from others as “yours.” I agree he probably is worried about his girl friend. Worried that she’s gonna find another gold mine to dig in.

Serve seven years? Yeah, he got off way too easy. Careful you don’t bite Bubba there Denny.

12. gerald nickaboine says:

the money from his book should go to his victims.

13. shouldnt say says:

His oldest sister is homeless and taking what she wishes from others. She thinks she deserves to take and not be reponsible. Apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

14. Chumley Jones says:

Finally the truth. We’re beginning to see Denny not as the evil villain the media has portrayed him as but instead as an everyday human being with hopes and dreams like the rest of us.