MDH: Flu Outbreak Is Widespread Right Now

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The flu is now officially considered widespread across Minnesota, according to the Department of Health.

The MDH’s state flu report shows more than 26 schools reported flu outbreaks in the week of Jan. 30 through Feb. 5. The MDH said one influenza-related death also happened that week.

There were 32 schools that had outbreaks from Feb. 5-12 and there were 42 hospitalizations.

In all, there have been 253 hospitalizations from Oct. 3, 2010 through Feb. 12, 2011.

Unlike last year’s H1N1 virus, this recent outbreak is mostly regular flu. Although the MDH does want to point out that H1N1 is still one of the strains going around.

Doctors say it’s not too late to get vaccinated. To stop the outbreak from spreading further, if you do feel sick, you should stay home.

Comments

1. Ruth A Hansen says:

This is for real. If you are sick STAY HOME. If you are not sick but have not had your seasonal flu shot or mist get it done. Always wash(not just rinse) your hands for 20seconds and cough and sneeze into your sleeve.

1. Webb says:

Yeah……thanks for the hot tip Ruthy!

2. jason says:

ive been doing some research. Ive found the possibility that the h1n1 vac is actually a gateway allowing the new gov created version to kill you. theres evidence everywhere. yall go ahead and stick that stuff in your veins. I know alot of people who didnt get it and got the flu , the flu was hardly worth the risk of taking an un proven shot. ill pray for all of you who got the h1n1 shot

2. ME MA says:

I AM ALLERGIC TO SOMETHING IN THE FLU SHOT SO NOT EVERYONE CAN GET ONE SO PLEASE DON’T TELL EVERYONE TO GET ONE!!!

1. Nancy says:

don’t take it so personal and don’t tell others to stop spreading the word…you will benifit if others do take the shot if you can not take one, think about it. geeee

3. poisonshot says:

you better look into any shot before you get it,the ingredients…building your body immunities is much better than any big pharma shot…alot of ’em are more harmful than good!

4. Conspiracy Theorist says:

poisonshot also believes there was a second gunman in the grassy knoll!

1. poisonshot says:

go ahead and take your poison shot ,then,ignorant one…see how you do in a year

5. Pieter says:

I’m allergic to something all-caps text. I feel really sick ME MA.

1. jacko says:

you pay to much attention to words are you a teacher burro..aka jack ass

6. melvin says:

Or just take colloidial silver and then you do not have to worry about gettnig the flu

7. Jimbo says:

There are always risks to certain segments of the populous with vaccinations. The producers of the vaccines know that people are going to get sick or even die every year from reactions to vaccination. They always hope for limited bad reactions but they are not able to eliminate the bad reactions. The sickness they are trying to prevent is pretty much the same but the individual people and their immune systems vary greatly.

8. Gundy0130 says:

I love how they don’t talk about the flu shot not protecting against Influenza type A and Type B b/c this is what’s going around. Yes, it didn’t protect this year. I’m a nurse in a clinic in the city so I’ve seen many cases already.

9. Nancy Aleshire says:

This is not influenza, but I have a friend who is 47 years old who seems to think he has whooping cough (pertussis). Does anyone know anything about an outbreak in adults? I know it is bacterial. My friend did not get the flu shot. He had pneumonia at the time. He seems to think he had the DPT shot as a kid, but was telling me people were coming down with pertussis even though they had these shots as children. I don’t remember getting the DPT shot as a kid and am almost sixty. Maybe I should get the shot–it is a scary disease. I did get my flu shot though.

10. Jeff says:

For real, I missed all last week because of it. It was horrible, I’m never missing a shot again.

11. Joe Seely says:

I saw a fat man streaking!…wait a minute…it was just my reflection in the store window!!.