Mpls. Cop Credits Crisis Training In Restraining Naked Man

By Caroline Lowe, WCCO-TV

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Police officer Adam Grobove III has seen it all in his many years with the Minneapolis Police. On Tuesday, it was the first time he has ever tried to restrain a naked man.

Grobove credits his training as a member of the department’s Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) for helping him handle a difficult and potentially very dangerous situation.

Grobove was on patrol when a report came in about a deranged, naked man attacking a staff member at the Unity Place assisted living apartments in northeast Minneapolis. The staff there includes licensed medical professionals and social workers.

He could hear screaming when he entered the building and then found the man circling a staff member on the second floor. Grobove first tried to talk with the man who is a resident of the facility. It didn’t work.

“He came at me just like this and grabbed my vest. He grabbed my microphone and I couldn’t grab my microphone and talk into it. And then, at that point, it was to force him away and keep him away from my gun belt,” said the veteran officer.

Even with help, Grobove and another officer had difficulty dealing with him.

“He had some abnormal strength. He pushed and pulled and he was able to lift us up and move us around — almost like we weren’t there,” he said.

Eventually, Grobove and the other officer were able to get the naked man under control and a paramedic sedated him for his trip in an ambulance to the Hennepin County Medical Center.

“He was very slippery. Almost like hanging on to someone with oil on them,” said Grobove, who received a couple scrapes in the process.

The man was scheduled to get a medical evaluation at the hospital’s ER and then a mental health evaluation to determine what care he needed next.

Grobove is one of more than 125 MPD officers who have had CIT training. The training is aimed at diffusing tense situations with people in crisis and having medical help available to deal with their problems, which was something that helped greatly for the veteran officer Tuesday.

Comments

1. AJ says:

Thank goodness it wasn’t a naked woman like a few years ago. They shot her because she had a fork in her hand

1. jeanne says:

it really happen that a naked woman was killed and she didnt have a weapon, it shows that now they are trainning better to deal with all situations……

2. Brddog says:

AJ, tell me some thing..does it come easy for you to be a complete ASS ?..or do you work hard at it ?. Either way you succedded.

3. POE says:

Take it out of the gutter! Do either of you realize that this someone’s son? How about a little compassion?

4. Rich says:

My mother is a resident at Unity Place on the second floor and has been for almost three years. This is the first incident I have heard of in this time span. Praise God that the MPD were adequately trained to bring the situation under control. This could have been mentally devastating to some of the residents there.

5. Frustrated says:

Sounds like Charlie Sheen!

6. jjeannne says:

I am glad they have better trainning, because if you listen to the scanner and someone says they want death by cop and the next day you see in the papers that it did happen makes you feel sick.

1. David says:

I heard that the real hero’s is the Army Ranger who actually rescued the attacked women before the Police arrived.

1. Sarah says:

If this is the case, why is this Ranger not mentioned? The police took full credit of controlling this situation. Typical! I hope that this “Army Ranger” receives recognition from the people who matter most. Everyday heroes really do exist.

7. paab says:

Thank God for a sound mind.

8. jennifer says:

what about the woman who was attacked? Did the paper mention how she is doing?

9. kathy says:

Jennifer, the woman who was attacked is my daughter-in-law. Thank you for your concern. She is still pretty terrified but should be OK.

10. Janet says:

I think that it’s sick that there was hardly any mention of how the attacked woman is doing. I would be interested to know what charges will be brought to the perpetrator. Sounds like a seriously dangerous individual.

11. Skeezer says:

Where’s a taser when you need it….

1. RainyD says:

whats funny Skeezer is a friend of mine works with one of the first responders who was there and they apparently used a taser 2 or 3 times on the guy. How is this special crisis training? I didn’t hear that in the report. It seems like they delt with the situation as any other.
      Besides it sounds like the police were not evenr responsible for saving the women. Go figure they take all the credit. I can’t imagne how I would feel if it was my daugher who was attacked by such a monster.

12. Sarah says:

This is unbelievable! After viewing the footage and hearing the comments of the officer, my heart immediately goes out to the attacked woman. The question is, who is actually held responsible for the lifetime scar of the woman? Can you imagine that poor woman’s struggle if the “strength” of this guy stunned officers. Are these employees prepared for situatons like this or do they just pray that things like this don’t happen? Is there some form of screening that takes place before one is moved into this facility? What about the others that reside at this facility? What is done to ensure the safety of both the employees and tenants? These are questions that should be answered.