2014 In Review // Local: News, Sports Nat'l: News, Sports, Entertainment, Talkers | Top 20 Most Read Stories 

Local

Report: 1,000 Minn. State Workers Seek Early Out

View Comments
(credit: Jupiter Images)

(credit: Jupiter Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) – More than 1,000 Minnesota state employees opted for an early retirement program in the past nine months, saving the state an estimated $47 million over three years.

A Minnesota Management and Budget report obtained Monday by The Associated Press updates lawmakers on early retirements under a 2010 law offering extended health and dental coverage to workers with at least 15 years of state service.

The update comes as lawmakers consider reducing the state work force and curbing employee benefits to save more money.

The report says the early retirement perk went to 1,030 workers averaging almost 29 years of service. About 60 percent of their jobs were filled, while the rest were eliminated. About 40 percent of the early retirees gave up jobs in the Minnesota Department of Transportation.

(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,545 other followers