WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican presidential contender Tim Pawlenty says a spending deal that avoided a government shutdown should be rejected.
Pawlenty, a former Minnesota governor who oversaw a state shutdown during his tenure, said Wednesday that the $38 billion in cuts agreed to in a last-minute compromise isn’t enough. He says that number isn’t accurate and the deal is “wholly unacceptable.”
Last week, Democrats and Republicans narrowly averted a partial shutdown of the government by agreeing on a spending plan for the rest of the current budget year, which ends Sept. 30. Final approval of that plan is expected this week.
Pawlenty has announced a presidential exploratory committee and is scheduled to speak at anti-tax events in Concord, N.H., and Boston on Friday.
(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)