Trees Of Hope: Donate to Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance at 1-800-542-9226 or click here. | More

Gay Marriage Supporters Rally At Minn. Capitol

By Holly Wagner, WCCO-TV

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — People pushing for gay marriage in Minnesota are holding a rally outside the State Capitol — and they have the support of Gov. Mark Dayton.

In fact, he’s scheduled to speak at the rally.

The Rally for Equality began around noon and included people from all over the state who are hoping to push for change. Members of the gay and lesbian community were scheduled to share their stories with attendees and legislators to push for the legalization of gay marriage. Another hot button issue being discussed is bullying.

Members of the rally include a few gay students who will be sharing their stories of being bullied because of their sexual orientation. A bill introduced this session, called the Safe Schools For All act, would change the wording in a law to protect students against bullying.

In addition to race and sex, it would add the words sexual orientation, gender or disability to that legislation.

Monica Meyer, of OutFront Minnesota, said students across Minnesota who are gay or lesbian are dealing with issues when it comes to bullying. Some will share their struggles with lawmakers.

“I think it’s really hard to look at a student who’s talking about their life and what they hope to be in the future and letting legislators know that future is jeopardized by the fact that they aren’t safe in their schools,” she said, “and that you can’t get a good education when you skip school because you’re afraid of getting bullied and harassed.”

That legislation has been heard in a few committee-level hearings but it’s been voted down. While the group isn’t sure if the bill will get any traction this year, Meyer said it’s really about laying a foundation so they can make progress down the road.

Comments

1. Steven says:

Lets move forward and do this Mark Dayton

1. EXIT ONLY says:

I dont care if they get married! I am a Repub, I have gay friends and they are great people, 100% trust in them

1. James says:

with a spoon?

2. Teas asks... says:

OK..I’m a straight married Christian male….and I am fine with this (I’m NOT kidding)….but….let’s look it this way….let’s have a “Gay Tax”….as gays typically have a higher income than straight couples….
    I’m 100% serious…..if Dayton/Obama can impose a higher tax on the rich…they should be able to impose a “gay tax” as they are a “higher income” group….

1. smb says:

Yes, because all the gay kids who end up on the street after their parents kick them out really do flourish.

1. Victim Du Jour says:

Most Parents get charged a crime if they kick their kids out on the street.

Unless you are talking about adult kids living in a parents basement?

Quit making stuff up out of thin air and pretending to be a victim.

1. Victim Du Jour says:

Sorry, but if a gay kid goes to the police, the parent will be in big trouble and the State will find them a home.

You are posting run-away statistics.

Quit pretending to be a victim.

2. Jack says:

I have yet to meet a parent that was charged with anything when they kick their kids out. In fact, the police usually blame the child, insinuating that what they did was worthy of the punishment of homelessness. Are they supposed to “stop being gay” in order to have a home?

1. Jomama says:

I dont mind the fact that they are gay, but the “flaming gay” thing and the “public display of affection” is gross. Also, the guys laying out in Loring Park in their Speedos trolling for quickies and the “Gay Meatups” at Public Rest Stops are bad news and in view of families with small children. What about the “gay meatups” along the Mississippi River where there are thousands of used condoms on the ground and the birds choke to death on them. What a terrible way to go.

3. James says:

Not true. This does happen. And sometimes they run away, or find help to get out of a miserable, intolerant situation. Most times, it’s not reported but they are on the streets of Minneapolis. This is what District 202 addressed much of the time. We’re lucky that MN is more tolerant than other states. And it’s even more complicated if they come here from other states.

2. hoora says:

100% agreed!

3. Josh says:

Why don’t we just leave that to the tax bracket breakdown?

4. Tom says:

Teas asks

I don’t know where you get the idea that Gay have a higher income than straight couples? But if you would have thought your comment threw before posting it , that just maybe why it seems that way is because straight couples have kids to support if they choose too have kids, while gays do not have kids to support.

1. PA says:

Ahem.

According to the 2000 Census (probably more now), 30% of female couples and 20% of male couples are raising kids, and doing pretty well despite the fact that they’re strangers under the law and private contracts leave a lot of holes. Check out Family Equality Council.

Maybe you’re just looking at the majorities who don’t support kids, like the 47% of hetero couples who choose not have kids. Fine. Tax their new cars and their capital gains. Let their income tax pinch them like it pinches those in the brackets below them.

Taxing a group of people while denying them essential rights is what got this country started.

5. Flick says:

Ok, then let’s have a “White Tax” too, since as whites typically have a higher income than minorities.

3. ladyjasmin50 says:

If it wasn’t for the media most kids still wouldn’t know if they were gay/lesbian or otherwise. And the BS about you are born that way is purely just that BS.
    Keep our marriages – man and women the way Our Lord intended.

OH LORD….LORD PLEASE SAVE LADYJASMIN50… SHE IS SOOOOOO LOST

1. Tom says:

Amanda

I agree with you about LadyJASMIN50

Yes you are born that way! She must think that one day a man or woman wakes up in the morning that after lets say being straight for 30 years that now they prefer people of their own sex. That is just NUTS!

1. Amanda says:

I AM TIRED OF PEOPLE THAT THINKS BEING GAY IS AN ILLNESS AND THAT IF YOU TAKE A PILL, YOU WILL BE CURED, OR EVEN WORSE THAT IT IS CONTAGIOUS, PEOPLE LIKE THAT JUST MAKE ME WONDER, MAYBE THEY ARE CLOSET CASES AND THEY ARE AFRAID TO BE AROUND SOMEONE THAT IS NOT AFRAID TO BE GAY

2. Tom says:

Genetic Defect. Harsh but true.

2. Joyce says:

Amanda – you are lost (not ladyjasmi50) and maybe someday you too will find Jesus.

1. eastside_evil says:

Jesus doesn’t give a rat’s ass if someone is gay. I think he’d burn you at the stake for being a complete A-hole bigot jerk before burning a gay for being gay.

2. Ron Gensler says:

AMEN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. MattGMD says:

Following your convoluted logic, then at what age do you remember choosing to be heterosexual (i.e., “man and women” as you so eloquently phrased it)?

4. JD says:

So you want to punish the poor gay people(like myself) and you want to double tax the more prosperous gay people(who are already paying a higher tax for being wealthier)? LOL!!! leave it to a “straight, married, christian male”… good one buddy You are SOOOOOO fair aren’t you.

Let us not forget to “do unto others as you would have them do unto you” and “love they neighbor as thyself”.

1. DJ Tea says:

WOW “JD”…..I guess you really don’t see the point do you….I am actually supporting your “fight” for equal rights……this was not a cut on the gay population at all….and your comment of “leave it to a “straight, married, Christian male”… good one buddy You are SOOOOOO fair aren’t you.” really shows your true colors…..
      So “JD” are you placing this post from a computer at the homeless shelter? Maybe from your parent’s basement? Or are you at work…..or are you “Poor” as you live above your means….or are you “poor” as you make less than $11,000 a year as mandated by the US Govt as poverty level.
      My point is….people (in general) want all of the benefits…..but none of the responsibility…..
      But I am glad you made this point…..shows your true colors and may even change some people’s minds on supporting your cause….

1. Ron Gensler says:

JD,,,,DON’T quote scripture you don’t understand,,,GOD hates what you do and I won’t have you next door,,,,,,,,,,neighbor,,,,,I don’t and won’t “LOVE” you, your an outsider….

1. eastside_evil says:

Ron, you’re the one with the problem, and if there’s a god, YOU are the one he hates and will burn.

Have a nice trip.

2. hoora says:

Its a metal illness!

1. Grow up says:

Is there a cure for “metal” illness? Does WD-40 work?

3. anti-gay is OK says:

…and “JD” man shall not sleep with man,huh?Or do you just skip over THAT scripture?

1. Ben says:

@anti-gay is OK
        Do you skip over the scripture that says that women can’t wear jewelry? Cherry-pick the bible to support bigotry much??

1. eastside_evil says:

Have you ever eaten shrimp or lobster? Do you have a tattoo?

If so, your god says I get to kill you now (I’m obligated by the scripture in Leviticus actually). What time works for you?

5. TEA DJ says:

1. Amanda says:

I just have a question for you??? how is it that you think GAY people are more wealthy? and if they are they will be paying more since they are more wealthy, why make us pay more?

2. smb says:

What responsibility?
      Homosexuals already pay their fair share of taxes? More, actually, since they don’t get the marriage credit.

6. TW says:

And the mystical and supposed path to fulfillment and happiness is to institutionalize destructive and learned habits? Count me out on being on that bandwagon. Watch how this plays out in twenty years, there will be some reason that some theorist comes up with as to why gay marriages are not working out and it will be the fault of everyone but gay people. Sorry, I know this is not what is popular. If you imagine this is a hateful way to think then please know that I do not hate people for what consenting adults do together. I do b

7. Isnt It Ironic says:

As a Libritarian I’ve read this again and again, and I dont understand what the issue is. Why not not let them get married, why should they be happy? Maybe if enough of them get married they will stop being called GAY and instead be called confused.

Two consenting Adults want to be married, I say let them, go ahead enjoy yourselfs
    – but my religion (insert cult name here) doesnt approve of it. Then dont do it yourself and encourage those around you not to. But do not dictate how others want to live.
    – same as abortion (insert cult name here) doest approve of it. Then dont do it yourself and encourage those around you not to. But do not dictate how others want to live.

Some idiots, problably those who think homosexuality can be cured with prayer, think this population is more promiscuous then then hetrosexaul community – this sould solve that!

1. Jane says:

A couple (straight or gay) can be “married” in a religious ceremony of their choosing, without that ceremony making them “married” in a legal sense. A license issued and registered by/at a governmental entity is required for that marriage to be considered legal. Different religions have different rules at to who they will marry.

Religious views of a select segment should not dictate to the entire population what is legal, proper, moral, whatever. I do not force my neighbor to live by my beliefs, I do not want them to dictate to me how/what I should believe.

By the way, I am straight so this is not a gay person trying to inflict their rules on others.

The intolerance, bias, bigotry that is being inflicted on the many by the few, and being accepted behavior is amazing and frightening. Remember is was not that long ago that inter-racial dating/marriage was illegal. Society has evolved but still has a long way to go before everyone is accepted for who and what they are.

8. TW says:

elieve that the issues and heart ache that gay people deal with is both internal and external.

9. Jon says:

Just freaking allow it and be done with it. I am so sick of hearing about this garbage in the news.

1. Ron Gensler says:

JON,,,,that’s just what they want,,,cave in,,,they win …….sick!

1. eastside_evil says:

What do you propose? Kill them all? Their numbers aren’t decreasing. What do you attribute that to? How do you propose to institute your “Final Solution” ala Hitler, in dealing with these hated people? We can’t kill them all, can we?

2. James says:

I love the part about “allow” is if it’s your privilege to “let me” or “not let me”. I admire your parenting skills, and yes, we would be done with it.

10. Phil Mcrackin says:

Who should dictate who gets married let all the gays marry so they can be as miserable as everybody else.

11. lib says:

These “gay” people are not above using children to further their goals. Talk about bullying? How about forcing an imoral lifstyle on an entire society? We have had marraige between a man and a woman worldwide since man first walked on this earth. Now we have to have this distortion of marriage forced on us? Forceing pastors and churches to marry and sanction their sickness? And bullying? look at Target, they gave money to someone the gays didn’t like and look at the repercussions! Their lives are more highly valued by society than others, look at the “hate crime laws” If the Eskimos or another minority were forced to abandon their sacred rituals just to appease a small group of bullys we as a society would never stand for it, A non American Indian can’t even sell indian artifacts, but our culture is supposed to just give up and sacrifice our religious traditions to these vulger people? we are supposed to submit to our traditions being destroyed? we are supposed to bend over for these thugs? No way.

1. Phil Mcrackin says:

Bend over I have something for you.

1. Ben Dover says:

Yes, I know please give it back!

2. Amanda says:

How is it that me marrying my girlfriend will affect you? simple question, should have a simple answer…. you are going to pay more taxes? are you going to be out of a job? are you going to loose your house? is your wife/husband going to divorce you? please tell us in what aspect of your life this would affect you… and PLEASE STOP YOUR RELIGIOUS BS, WE DON’T WANNA HEAR IT…. I DON’T CARE/WANT ANY KIND OF RELIGION TO MARRY ME. I WANT A LEGAL MARRIAGE… WE LIVE IN USA, WHERE LAW AND RELIGION SHOULD BE SEPARATED… WHERE IN THE CONSTITUTION OF USA SAYS THAT GAY = IMMORAL… I BELIEVE THAT WOULD BE IN THE BIBLE AND LAST TIME I CHECKED, USA LAWS ARE NOT IN OR BASED ON THE BIBLE

1. one more try says:

Amanda…they won’t let me post the websites with proof gay couples makre more…you will have to trst me…
        Again Amanda…I support gay couples…they are usually more friendly, educated, cultured, and again….wealthier than straight couples! PLEASE move into my neighborhood! You would be welcome at my house any time!
        My point was dual fold…
        #1- I am trying to make a point on a somewhat (or…totally) unrelated subject….in the higher income being taxed more….and my point received comments just like I thought it would…..”Why us” is always the question….not ONLY for you, but a large portion of Americans..
        #2- So many people want things to change for their benefit…but expect the burden to be placed on the backs of ALL Americans…not JUST on gay rights…(and this will NOT cost US tax payers that much if anything) but more importantly like health care….or student loans…or welfare…..My point being gay couples are a wealthier group….and could afford a “gay tax” more than anyone….I am not saying you should “double” your tax rate…..but maybe stand up and just say you would be willing to pay some sort of fee for the right…..It would show the WORLD you are serious!
        I also think we should have a “Baby Tax”……if you’re not wealthy enough to support a child….you shouldn’t have one….
        Just ideas……I know they may be frowned upon…..but when the President makes a comment like “the wealthy should be in line to pay more taxes as they can afford it” I think they should have additional rights compared to those that do not pay as much (percentage wise!)

1. Amanda says:

I am sorry, but the point in here is that I am not in favor of “paying a fee” to get my rights… that doesn’t even make sense… i believe in more you make = more you pay… period, doesn’t matter if you are gay, straight, white, black, yellow… purple… or if you have kids or not… I happen to be gay but i certainly by any means be wealthy, i have a decent job, and that’s about it… and I happen to know plenty of gay people that I would consider middle class… i do know a few gay people that are wealthy, but more straight ones are, simply because they are allowed to file married in tax forms.

1. silly says:

By President Obama’s standards you ARE welthy so get ready to pay more, but I am glad to hear you are happy about it.

1. Amanda says:

YESSSSSSSSSS more you make = more you pay…. easy concept! love it

1. your getting there.... says:

OK..you pay more % wise as well…not JUST $ amt….I would be happy if I made 45k and paid 25%…..and then got a raise and made $65k…and 25%…but it doesn’t work that way!!!!
                SO….back to the point again….if people who make $65k pay 35%…and people who make $45k pay 25%……why can’t gays pay for the right to be married?

1. Amanda says:

Because getting married is not a right that you have to pay for???? how about if everyone that wants to get married pays, doesn’t matter if you are gay or straight? I will call that fair… as a matter of fact we (gays) should pay less taxes since we are treated as second class citizens

2. I forgot!!! says:

Funny you say that….I did have to pay for a marrage license…..so I guess EVERYONE already does get “taxed” to get married…LOL….

3. not good says:

And Amanda….really? 2nd calss citizens? You REALLY feel that way? That’s sad…..

4. Amanda says:

@ NOT GOOD…. YES I DO FEEL THAT WAY SINCE I DON’T HAVE ACCESS TO THE PUREST SIMPLE RIGHTS… TO BE FREE, AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS

5. Amanda says:

@ I FORGOT… I WILL PAY FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE ANY TIME… SEE BUT THAT IS A ONE TIME FEE… NOT PAYING MORE TAXES JUST BECAUSE I AM GAY AND I WANT TO GET MARRIED… SEE THE DIFFERENCE?

2. equalityman says:

Hello Onemoretry…your idea is illogical. Think about what you are saying…you want to target and tax families with same sex partners. Although it is true that same sex couples have a higher average income than opposite sex partners, there is such a variation in the income levels that taxing all same sex couples more heavily would be discriminitory and promulgate inequality. It does make more sense to tax people by their income only, not by their sexual orientation. Following your logic, the govenment should tax couples on their average amount of sex per week. The government would have to track out sex lives. Have you read the book 1984? It sounds like you are in support of totalitarianism.

2. lib says:

when Gays bullied society into letting them adopt, and now they are finding children of gays 30% more likely to be gay, the oldest and largest adoption agency in NY had to close it’s doors, why? because it was a Catholic agency run by nuns and now they were forced by law to give these children to homosexuals. With the passing of legal marriage to gays, the law will force all religious institutions to marry you. do you see the bullying?

1. eastside_evil says:

Why do you get an opinion?

And no, children of gays do not become gay. That isn’t how that works. If you were surrounded by gay men, would you suddenly want to start s*cking c*cks too?

You sir, are an idiot.

3. Kevin says:

If you dont like it…..leave….

4. lib says:

When the law allowed “gays” to adopt, the oldest and largest adoption agency had to close it’s doors. Why? because it was a Catholic agency run by nuns. It is against their religion to give children to “gays”. If “gay” marraige becomes law the churches will be forced to marry “gays” or close their doors, do you see the bullying?

1. Amanda says:

No i do not, cause they will be straight couples that will continue life as usual, or are you trying to say that allowing gay people to marry, everyone will turn out to be gay??? WOW… again being gay is not a choice, is just simply the way we are, and they have been between us for a LOOOOOOOOOONGGGG time

2. smb says:

Churches are not going to be forced to perform gay marriages. That is just more fear-mongering lies to rile up the anti-equality side.
          Besides, churches already have rules about who they will marry. For example a Catholic church won’t perform a full mass ceremony unless the couple are both catholic.

1. lib says:

If it is the law, that is why “gays” can adopt, and Catholilc adoption agencys went out of business, they were FORCED to adopt to “Gays” or close their doors. the doors were closed. Now that is some bullying

1. Amanda says:

Nope, it is a choice… if you can prove that you are a good parent, you should be able to adopt. period. LEAVE THE RELIGIOUS BS OUT OF THIS

1. lib says:

Esplosive new study out with no ax to grind that show adopted children of “gays” 30% more likely to be “gay” than adopted children of hetrosexual couples. Shows the proclivity is learned.

1. Ben says:

@lib
                  Correlation does not always equal causation. I’d venture to guess that they’re 30% more likely to COME OUT OF THE CLOSET because they weren’t raised by bigoted christian parents. I see that as a good thing -less closeted republican gays who use hatred against other gays as a mask (Larry Craig, probably LIB and Ron Gensler).

3. Duex Hambone says:

Then close the doors I say, there is no invisable man in the sky you have all been told a lie.Why do some people ( many people) believe in the invisable man? because they can’t deal with reality.

4. Ben says:

@lib
          Sounds like the problem isn’t the gays, it’s that bigotry and hate aren’t very good business models.

1. eastside_evil says:

The problem has NEVER BEEN gays. The problem has ALWAYS BEEN bigots and fear mongers and religious f*cking nutjobs who think there’s some god out there who wants to burn gay people. I mean really, how stupid are you?

3. Tom says:

Lib

I don’t know where you get the idea where “gay” people using children too further their goals. That is what the catholic priests have been doing!

And using the word “bullying is a stretch if that is what you call “gay” people doing. But again it is the other way around that ‘gay” people , especially “gay” teenagers that are getting “bullied”.

People like you have a hard time adjusting too the times. Not every couple are choosing too get married. Not everybody chooses too get married in a church by a priest. And not every couple want children.

More and more people are coming too accept gay marriage. But it is conservatives who want too hold the rest of us back because they feel threatened by something that is not inside their “comfort zone”. Change scares conservatives.

But Lib the question to you is this : Why do people like yourself think you should be able too decide who gets married and who doesn’t?

4. eastside_evil says:

lib, that was the stupidest thing I’ve heard all day. I wish I could get that time back, but I can’t. I am stupider for having encountered a dimwit, knucklehead moron like you. You should go out and shoot yourself.

5. James says:

Remember, whatever you say, do it in the mirror and say it about yourself. Make the conversation equal, not accusatory. We are not so different, except that you think we are. Nice try.

12. 1st Amendment says:

WCCO…nice..I like how you won’t let SOME people post things…..nice…so much for “equal” rights…..

13. Pledge of Allegiance says:

“With liberty and justice FOR ALL”

14. 123 good reasons says:

Proof is right here…
    My point was dual fold…

1. exasperated says:

@123 good reasons. You must be a white man. Do you think it would have been reasonable to charge a “tax” for women or African Americans or any other marginalized population that has gained rights, to have “the right” to vote, to sit at a lunch counter, and enjoy each and every one of the freedoms which are and have always been “the right” of white men. To insinuate that a desire for equality is on par with “expect (ing) the burden to be placed on the back of ALL Americans… ” because the group “could afford a ‘gay tax’ more than anyone” is completely ludicrous.

15. TW says:

Amanda,
    Are you and Jessica coming to our house for Easter? Or is this not my niece? If this makes no sense then I have the wrong Amanda. I guess there are other Amanda’s with girlfriends. Peace out. Call us if you are going to be in MN. Bring your guitar.

1. sad says:

Is Amanda not a resident of this state? only here to agitate?

1. Amanda says:

I am a MN resident and don’t know TW at all, sorry

1. sad says:

make your way around to all the gay rallys?

16. TW says:

Sorry, but if you were my niece you would be welcome to bring your girlfriend to Easter dinner but we still are not fans of gay marriage…getting back to topic.

1. eastside_evil says:

Why should anybody care if you are or aren’t a fan of gay marriage? Don’t like gay marriage then don’t get married to a gay person. Period.

17. T says:

1) TEAS: Regarding taxes: Why in the world would you tax an entire group based on their sexual preference? Tax those that make more, more; and tax those that make less, less. If you want to be taken seriously at least make a logical post.

2) lib: No one will force a church to marry gay people. Each minister has the right to decide who to marry. Again, at least be logical if you want people to actually read your post and think about and consider what you are saying.

1. UVWXYZ says:

@T…..my point exactly…..I think no ONE group should be taxed more than another…rich….poor…or inbetween……gay…straight……but it goes the OTHER way as well…..I don;t think I need to pay for people on govt support to have children!!! I’m just using a “group” of people to try to get my point across….
      (I think most gay couples are left leaning as well….so this makes my point even more…)

2. lib says:

T, not if “gay” marriage becomes LAW. That is their whole premise behind marriage, they can already have cival unions, so why push for marraige? Only to destroy thousands of years of traditional marraige. Remember when “gays” first wanted to be tolerated, now it is acceptance, next forcing the church to acknowledge and preform marraiges.

1. T says:

lib: where do they already have cival (sic) unions? Not in Minnesota, the state this article is from and where gays are pushing for equal rights.

This is about EQUAL RIGHTS. What makes you think you are better than gay people? That you deserve more rights? Are you special?

1. lib says:

“Gays” are treated as special, look at the laws, someone will receive a stiffer sentence if they hit a “gay” person than if they hit me. Special treatment. not Equal.

1. T says:

WRONG! I know the laws. They will get a stiffer sentence if they TARGET the person for being gay. They will also get a stiffer sentence if they TARGET you for being a woman, or for being white for that matter. It’s a hate crime only when someone is targeted for being different. Get real.

2. eastside_evil says:

You don’t think gays should be tolerated or accepted or married?

Sooooo, should we form concentration camps? What do you suggest? Force them to live secretive, anonymous lives to make YOU feel better? LMFAO! Grow up, dipsh1t.

18. And again..... says:

Amanda….I agree with you…..to a point….the problem is we are NOT free! If I want to walk to work NAKED…I can’t! Why? Is it hurting anyone? Yet I can’t do it…
    Fishing…..OK..I want to fish in a MN lake…and catch and release….still…I need to PAY for the right to do that….Is THAT free? No……
    Freedom isn’t free….and I am FINE with putting on clothes to walk to work..and I am even OK to pay to go fishing….
    What I am NOT OK with are Americans that want free things and expect other people to pay for it…..this is my point overall…..
    My other point is to try to relate President Obama’s point of “higher income Americans need to pay more taxes” when people already supported by the govt pump out kids WE have to pay for on a daily basis.
    I need to PAY for a license to fish..yet ANY idiot can have a child…and I have to pay for it!

1. Amanda says:

See and my point is that they make EVERYONE wear clothes in the streets, they don’t let a certain group to get away with it… they make EVERYONE pay for a fishing license, not just an specific group…. my point is… SAME RIGHTS, SAME RESPONSIBILITIES FOR ALL THAT IS WHAT EQUAL RIGHTS STANDS FOR

1. I'm walking home naked! says:

But again….that’s not true….Kids don’t pay for fishing lic…..American Indians don’t pay for fishing lic…..and there are other groups that do not have to pay….(there are a host of them on the DNR web site..)
        But the point of wearing clothes was not about a “group” it was about freedom….and the “freedom to do what you want”. So let’s not mix points….
        Amanda…please know I am 100% FOR gay rights….I just want America to know (even on this small WCCO blog scale) that it’s give and take with everything….and if groups of people realzed this…..and were ready to “give” to “take” something….it would be a lot easier….
        I’ll say it again…freedom isn’t free….
        Just know…if I were to vote…I would for FOR your fight….not against it…

1. Amanda says:

WE WERE TALKING ABOUT ADULTS IN HERE… GET REAL…

SO WHAT DO YOU WANT TO HAVE A “SEX” TAX, SO EVERY TIME WE HAVE SEX, WE HAVE TO PAY, BUT IT WILL GO TO EVERYONE, NOT JUST GAYS… YOU LIKE THAT?

1. Jake says:

With FREEDOM comes responsibility. If you are irresponsible, you shouldn’t be allowed to push the costs of the consequences upon the innocent taxpayer, which, in many cases, not only fails to endorse such behavior, but actively suggests that you don’t engage in it in the first place. You are you to even suggest that you can FORCE ME to pay for a stupid mistake, against MY WILL?

1. eastside_evil says:

The public is already FORCED to pay for everybody else. Gays aren’t hurting you. If anything, YOU are more of a detriment to society.

2. Jake says:

Pretty good arguement. I would also throw in the fact that gay men, who are the primary transmitters of AIDS, get 80-90% of their AIDS fighting drugs paid for by the taxpayer, and it ain’t cheap. They do the deed, the taxpayer pays for most of the risk. I can’t think of ANYTHING that is more unfair, when they could take effective steps to mitigate that scenario.

3. eastside_evil says:

Wow, that was a pointless collection of gibberish…

19. T says:

TW: Your diatribe on what’s right and wong and healthy and unhealthy and what will happen in 20 years. How do you know? How about you not pretend to know everything and we all work together to ensure that everyone gets equal treatment – then if something seems wrong we adjust from there. You are making a lot of blanket statements that lead me to believe that you think you are all-knowing.

1. TW says:

I guess we will have to wait and see if I am right. Blanket statements are a specialty of mine but in real life I am a nice guy and not such a gas bag.

20. T says:

AND AGAIN: What does gay marriage have to do with people getting “free things”? I lost your point. The two subjects are not even related.

1. point point says:

My point is why should people who make LESS money be given more than the people that make MORE money…it makes as much sence as why gay people sould be taxed more than straight people…..BUT….the second I brought up “gay couples should be taxed” every one was like “why?”! My point is it makes no sence why people who use the govt the MOST pay the LEAST…..But they do…so why NOT tax gay couples….it would be a good way to help the US get out of it’s debt crisis…..forget the “rich”….let’s look at the gays…..why..as I stated prior….gays on an average make MORE money than straight people…so you should be “able to afford the rights you want”….at least you would be getting something for the additional taxes you pay….I pay THOUSANDS more than the person on welfare…..(if they pay ANYTHING) yet they get MORE from the govt than I do? How does that work….Just trying to relay a point…..

1. T says:

Individuals and united couples pay taxes based on income, as it should be. Regardless of race, nationality, sexuality, etc. You don’t tax an entire group because that group makes more. If one member of the group makes $20,000/year and another makes $80,000/year, are you going to tax them each $10,000? Just because they both belong to the same group? We should tax all whites more than blacks, because they make more as a group, right???

2. eastside_evil says:

A dumb point, and not really a point at all. Just dumb.

21. M says:

I truly believe thave EVERY human regardless of race, creed, color or sexual oriantation has the Earthly given right to LOVE & BE LOVED!

22. ohoh says:

How many loved and be loved folks give money to NAMBLA?

1. T says:

Very few, and they are messed up. Don’t throw NAMBLA into this – it’s not a reasonable argument. Be reasonable here – do you really think that all gays are pedophiles? Sheesh.

1. ohoh says:

I sure do darlin, about 90% were poked when they were young and can’t wait to return the favor.

1. Steve says:

@ohoh
          Can you tell us where you got that number? Having worked as a parole officer for 20 years, I can tell you that your 90% figure seems made-up. Just give us a link to the research, or let us know what journal you got it from so we can see it for ourselves.

23. New tax idea.. says:

OK…new Idea….if we taxed every gay man (or bi) looking for a hook up on craigs list…..we would pay the national debt off in 2 weeks…..double the tax if it’s a picture of their “junk”…..LOL…..I would say tax the straight people….but I doubt anyone straigt has scored on craigs list…

1. Amanda says:

That is because guys are pigs… and girls are not, so it’s simple a guy looking for a girl, maybe not happening as a hook up…. a guy looking for another guy, well simple they only thing about one thing! SEX…. so there you go!

2. captainobvious says:

your wrong your mother has scored hundreds of times on craigslist

1. Amanda says:

your mother has???? wow, thanks for sharing that! captainobvious, you are just like every other guy… I am glad I am gay and don’t have to deal with someone like you

24. Karuvar Ravenstar says:

Just recognition, equal treatment. That’s all we want. Religious reasons have nothing to with equality. Live and let live. You think we will suffer in hell for this? Then let the devil take of it, not you. We all have enough to worry about rather than getting into others’ lives and thereafter. Wish everyone well! 🙂

25. Dave says:

Of course Marky supports them. He’s “gay” himself. Probably his dog, too.

WOW…. very smart

26. Don says:

Thanks again “Christians”, for yet again proving yourselves to be a religion of bigotry, arrogance, hatred, injustice, inequality, irrelevance, and severe inferiority complexes. If Jesus saves, he better save himself…from Christians.

27. Rob says:

To ALL concerned: WWJD? He would accept ALL people as/who they are………………….

1. Ann says:

My Dear Rob, you are so right, I know my God does accept ALL people, and it will be us (the meek) that will inherit the earth, not the hipocrites that claim to be christians.

For each of you that speak bad about gay people may your favorite child or grandchild be born GAY:) And yes they are born with those feelings, they are not developed over time.

28. Tom says:

Another favorite word of the Conseravatives is “Traditional”. Well that went out the window years ago. Conservatives just need too leave their “little bubble”

29. Tom says:

do they really like enter in the rear ?????

30. Tom says:

or rump rangers !!!!

31. Jason says:

Rally for gays at Capital= news. Tea party tax rally at Capital= not news. Sup wcco?

1. Michael B. says:

@Jason
      It’s because nobody really likes the tea party except for the tea party.

2. Don says:

They only make the news cuz they’re all bat s**t crazy.

32. Get a clue says:

Genetic Defect. Harsh but true. Must be something in the water.

1. Trying to find a clue says:

Can you prove your statements?

1. Tom says:

Look to nature. Two men or two women cannot reproduce. In nature this is a defect.

1. Josh says:

I think a primatologist would disagree with you Tom. In case you haven’t noticed, physical intimacy has a lot more to it than simply reproduction. The way that we reproduce has a lot to do with strengthening interpersonal bonds, and relationships that are beneficial to survival. You can see this in Bonobo studies.

By your logic, anyone who has sex recreationally is defective. I sure hope that every time you’ve been physically intimate, that it has resulted in a child. Otherwise you are genetically defective by your own standards.

2. eastside_evil says:

Sounds like you have plenty of genetic defects of your own to keep you occupied, and you can let gays think of theirs all by themselves without your dumb opinions getting in there.

33. TW says:

If you presuppose that humans and Bonobo chimps are equals because we are all animals then stop the merry go round and let me off. Humans are capable of enjoying and doing many behaviors, not all of them are useful or beneficial to us. I will not dive off into a religious discussion but we have opposing presuppositions. You and the Bonobo chimps are going to do your monkey business no matter what anyone says.

1. Josh says:

@TW
      I wasn’t the one saying “look to nature” to defend bigoted statements. As far as my “presupposition” goes, I made no comment regarding the values people place on human lives vs. chimp lives. But, as we are both primates, share a common ancestor, and as between 98% and 99.4% our genome is identical, studying chimp behavior gives us keen insight into the early biological advantages of human behavior-which is invaluable in the understanding of modern human behavior.

I find it interesting that religious people take science for granted when it comes to iPhones, Lipitor, diabetes treatments, cars, airplanes, etc. But as soon as scientific fact obstructs world-view, science is open to lay-person interpretation. I’m just glad that epidemiologists studying supervirus outbreaks share my world-view, and not yours.

1. TW says:

Given that a vast amount of scientific achievement has been the result of the work and thought of people who held to a theistic world view there is no dichotomy in my mind between belief in God or the supernatural and appreciation of science and learning. If you wish to understand and accept the common belief in humans and chimps having a shared ancestry that’s your choice, you live in a country that values the right to hold or not hold to any religious view. By citing the bonobo studies there is an obvious implication that validates behaviors compared from chimpanzees to humans as value neutral. Just so both of our rights are not impinged or the right to state our beliefs on topics of moral decisions does not get rolled into a ‘hate speech’ law by well intentioned judges or legislators. What chimpanzees do with each other is not a model for what humans should consider normative, remembering that it is normal for bonobos to be sexual with all other members of their band regardless of age or familial position. At some point your comparison loses value.

34. Dave says:

Well I have to say as A gay man living within my means in Mn I feel the crunch of the tax problems that others do. Cut the Bashing and focus on the fact I am a person to and I have the right to happiness. Marriage would be a wonderful thing to take place within the GLBT community. In fact in states where it is legal New HIV infections have decreased. Especially among Married Glbt couples.