Minn. Man Sentenced In Incident That Injured Police Dog

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A Ramsey County district judge has sentenced a 21-year-old man for his role in a November break-in that left a Roseville police dog partially paralyzed.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports James Ricky McBain pleaded guilty to aiding and abetting possession of burglary or theft tools in February.

On Thursday, the judge stayed a sentence of one year and one day for McBain, meaning if McBain does not follow the rules of his three-year probation, he could serve that prison time.

The criminal complaint says McBain and two other men had been smoking methamphetamine when they decided to go steal metal. Police responded to an alarm at a business and sent the dog, Major, to search for suspects.

Major was stabbed in the incident and lost the use of his back legs.

Comments

1. Sadie says:

I think he deserves to be in more trouble. Look at the pain and suffereing he has caused the dog and his family

2. chrissy says:

Are you serious? This piece of garbage commits all those crimes and gets probation? What a joke these laws are useless. These dirt bags were on drugs, stealing and tried to kill k9. They should let Major do some justice on him, with no weapons this time, stupid tweaker

1. blah says:

or dont send a dog in after men with weapons……

3. Disgusted says:

I can’t believe that is all he gets for his crime. Attacking a police dog should be considered the same as injuring a regular police officer. How long you think it will be before he is smoking some more meth?

4. Gloria says:

I am very surprised that McBain wasn’t sentenced to some jail/prison time. Even though the charge was aiding and abetting, he did participate in a crime which led to the permanent injury of a member of law enforcement (Major).

Of course, prison time is hanging over his head, and he did get 3 years’ probation, but I don’t believe this is sending the right message.

5. david says:

James Ricky McBain – Major sent me so see ya soon

6. Brian E. Jensen says:

Stab the guy in his spine

7. Joey Joey says:

Do you think Major was coming in to get a pat on the head? I bet he bit the person who stabbed him. No excuse to be high on drugs committing theft, but sending in a dog to “search” for suspects alone is like running out in front of a car. What do you expect to happen?

8. Tina says:

What kind of message did that send??? How ridiculous, the laws support criminal behavior. If we don’t send these slugs to jail it will never stop! He stabbed an officer of the law (Major)……what does he get for it……..not a damn thing! I am appalled!!!

9. who cares says:

big deal, this stuff happens all time, stop reporting on useless stuff

1. david says:

what a useless comment

2. Tom says:

you are a dumb ass

10. artist says:

Ok, if the guy isnt gonna get any time, how about breaking his neck. This will surely leave HIM paralyzed. He’ll have lots of time to think about his past in a wheelchair! Is animal cruelty not a crime anymore?, I’m sure it was self defense, thus no charges there!

11. fitswell says:

we might as well all go out and do this stuff if thats all you get

12. Allah Loves Tasty Virgins says:

Shoot him NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Aunt says:

He wasnt the one that actually stabbed the dog however I know he is trouble and will probably continue to be. I would like to see him shot for how he has treated a family memeber of mine. I wish he would have got more time so he would stay away from my niece. The first time I met him I knew he was trouble!

14. fred says:

I give this creep maybe 3 weeks before he violates his probation. then he will be the belle of the ball in prison.