Reporter Caroline Lowe Leaving WCCO-TV After 35 Years

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Long-time WCCO-TV reporter, Caroline Lowe, has accepted a job at KSBY-TV in San Luis Obispo, Calif.  Lowe has been on the crime beat for WCCO-TV since 1977. This year marked her 35th year with the station.

She will be taking on a managerial role at KSBY-TV.

Lowe’s husband, Jack, recently retired and this move will allow them to be closer to three of their four children who already live in California.

“I love this place. WCCO is such a part of my DNA,” said Lowe, “but I also look forward to working with young people and helping them.”

Lowe will be in the company of some WCCO-TV alums. She will work alongside her daughter, Shelby, who is currently a news producer at KSBY-TV and was a former assignment editor at WCCO-TV. She also joins former WCCO-TV anchors Jeanette Trompeter and John Reger, who are both anchors at the station.

images sizedimage 074102241 e1300204045933 Reporter Caroline Lowe Leaving WCCO TV After 35 Years

Caroline Lowe on the job in 1977. (credit: CBS)

She has received numerous awards for her reporting, including: The Alfred I. DuPont Columbia Award for Missing The Beat in 1994, two Regional Emmy Awards in 1994, Sweepstakes Award from the Society of Professional Journalists in 1994, an Associated Press award and an UPI award. In 1986, Caroline was awarded the Minnesota Association of Crime Victims Media Attention Service Award, the first time that award was given to a member of the media.

As well as being a reporter, Lowe is a licensed Minnesota police officer and graduated from the FBI Citizen’s Academy in 2010.

“Not many reporters go as far for their work as Caroline does,” said WCCO-TV News Director, Mike Caputa.

images sizedimage 218111437 Reporter Caroline Lowe Leaving WCCO TV After 35 Years

That work has helped her become more involved and experienced on the crimes she reports on and helped her start her Crime Notes Blog and Cold Case Page.

Her I-TEAM reports have garnered national attention too. She extensively covered the disappearance of Mason City, Iowa anchorwoman, Jodi Huisentruit and the abduction of Jacob Wetterling. Her work has appeared on 20/20, Court TV, Oprah and Forensic Files.

“I told Caroline this morning that I would have thought I’d be upset with her for leaving us, but after hearing about what a wonderful opportunity this is for her and her family, I can’t help but to be happy for her and wish her the best,” said Caputa.

Lowe’s last day at WCCO will be May 4, 2011.

Tune in to WCCO-TV at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. to see more on Lowe’s career at the station.

Comments

1. Theresa Kasel says:

Good luck on your new adventures in California, Caroline.

2. Judy Ziesmer says:

Best wishes!!!! Loved your reporting, will miss seeing you.

3. Ruth Paffel says:

We have always enjoyed your reporting and will miss you. It sounds like a very good move for you. Nothing is more important than family. God Bless!

4. Larry Nelson says:

You are the Best !!!

5. Chris Graves says:

Congrats from one lifelong cop reporter to another. All the very best Caroline!

6. Rachel says:

Good luck, Caroline! We viewers/readers will miss you!

7. Mark Kulda says:

Caroline, I greatly appreciated the chance to work with you, even though it was such a short time. You made our jobs a whole lot easier because you did your job so well. Best of luck in California. Enjoy your time there, you’ve earned it.

8. allan says:

She’s a good one. Sorry to see her leave, Good luck, Caroline.

9. Mary says:

Good luck Caroline we will miss you

10. Tears says:

Good luck Caroline and like others have said – we really gonna miss you.
    Class and quality work – God Bless in the days ahead

11. Tim says:

I worked there for many years…She was a top notch reporter no matter what the assignment desk threw her way. Dave Moore always thought of her as on of WCCO’s greatest assets. She will be missed in this community!

12. Michael says:

I worked with a lot of the crew at ‘CCO as an independant and you could never have made me feel more a part of the team. It was my goal to work with Dave Moore, Don Shelby and you. You always hit your mark and have made a big mark on our community in the news biz. Good luck and stay warm.

13. Tree says:

I can’t believe you have been at CCO for 35 years, you have retained your youthful look. I have enjoyed and will miss your work. Good luck🙂

14. Ken in Northfield says:

Another reason to try to watch the KSBY news reports.

15. Another Michael says:

I always enjoyed watching and listening to Caroline. I hope you the best of luck and times in California. Good luck!

16. David Chanen says:

If I was still covering cops, I’d be doing handstands that you were leaving the area. Now I’m just sad. Good luck in your new job.

17. Trayce Olsen says:

Best of luck to you Carolyn–I feel like I know you personally after all these years..We did attend Citizens Police Academy together. that was interesting and you went on to becoming an officer..I know you’ll put as much energy into your new job as you do with everything you have done…Again we’ll miss you But still sending you good fortune.

18. Paul says:

Best wishes Caroline! We will miss you! Give our best to those other escapees Jeannette and John!! I know you will do just great out in that CA Sun!! Sorry to see you go though!!

19. N Lumpkins says:

Over the years, you have been one of the most insightful reporters on television to report the news. And, of course, our loss is California’s gain. I’d tell you to keep up the same level of excellence you always seem to have in your work….but I don’t believe that will be necessary. Good luck and be happy, Caroline!

20. Ruth says:

Caroline, You are one of the main reasons I watch WCCO. Your in-depth coverage and beyond the stats crime reporting are impressive and much appreciated. I will miss you. Good luck in California.

21. Karen says:

I have been watching Caroline on WCCO since I was a little girl, and I am really going to miss her. She was one of my all-time favorites. I wish you and your husband all of the best, Caroline. It will be great for you to be closer to family. God bless you.

22. Michelle says:

Congratulations, Caroline on moving to the best city in California. I’m back in Minnesota after spending 18 years in SLO.

FYI, to all, though, the city is not pronounced ‘San Luee Obispo’; it’s spanish, not french, so it is ‘San LuIS Obispo’. I don’t know why this is such a problem, but it is very annoying to those who love the area.

23. Frank says:

Gee, two big guns leaving WCCO, Don Shelby and Now Caroline Lowe.

I am certain they have ethics about hionest reporting so I wonder if they do not slanting a story due to political views of their bosses. CCO can’t seem to remember it is FORMER governor Pawlenty and they give him more coverage than any of our politicians still in an elected office.

Remember, Tim got 9 to 10 Friday morning slot, Gov. Dayton was offered 7 to 8 on Saturday morning. I am surprised they did not offer him 5 to 6 on Sunday.

I am done ranting now

24. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

San Luis Obispo is an absolutely beautiful area to live. The weather there is almost perfect. Enjoy your time there!

25. peggy gerbeling says:

Caroline, best wishes on your new adventure. We have really enjoyed your straight forward reporting. Give our regards to Janette and John. We still miss them.
    Peggy G

26. Linda Millermon says:

Good luck, Caroline! You interviewed my son after a Papa John’s robbery several years ago, and he was very impressed with how you handled the interview and a rattled young man who had a gun held to his neck. I have always felt you were an honest reporter and went way beyond the call of duty by getting police training to help your perspective. You will be missed, and please tell John Reger and Jeanette Trompeter we miss them too.

27. Corn Dog Cop says:

You will be missed at the State Fair.

28. Lynette C. Thompson says:

Good Bye Caroline, I wish you all the luck in the world. You will be missed very much. You sure did a great job for WCCO.

29. Don Schlais says:

All the best luck. I have always enjoyed your reporting.

But special kudos go out to you for your interest in my sister’s murder-cold case. You interviewed me about 4 years ago near Hwy 55 and Douglas Drive. That cold case investigation is still current in Dunn County Wisconsin. At last contact with the Wisconsin authorities, the DNA material gathered with Mary’s exumation went nowhere. Unless a person of interest comes forware, my sister’s death will go into history.

My family appreciates your time and effort on Mary’s behalf.

30. Mike says:

Thanks for all your great work, it was a pleasure watching your stories. Can you take Mark Rosen to California with you and keep him there?

31. Billy says:

I wish I was going to California, I hate Minnesota and all this snow.

32. Sue says:

Best of luck, Caroline. California will be lucky to have you. I am sure your children are delighted to have you near by. We will miss you in MN.

33. Good Cop Bad Cop says:

Who’s autograph am I going to sign now that your gone? Will the real Caroline please stand up! I will now have to take the hit and get all the IA complaints! Good luck girl! You will be missed walking around the State Fair.

34. Caroline Lowe Wcco says:

Wow! I am so touched by all your wonderful comments and well wishes! It has been an incredible ride spending more than 3 decades at WCCO on the crime beat and I will always cherish my time here. I am also so grateful to have a chance to tackle a new adventure working for KSBY in the most beautiful part of California and to be so much closer to three of our four children. I hope you will keep in touch with me on Facebook. Thanks! Caroline

35. Sherman Otto says:

Caroline, I enjoyed working with you when I was a Minneapolis Police Officer. You were honest and true to your word and profession. Thanks for blessing us in this area with your excellent reporting.

36. Christina says:

Way to go, Caroline! You look FABULOUS!! You are such an inspiration for so many reasons…thank you for that. You will be so missed…

37. Skip Loescher says:

I first met Caroline in 1977 and watched as she grew to be one of WCCO’s best reporters ever specializing in crime. In addition, she is a teriffic person who should be proud of her many acomplishments. Good luck Caroline!
    Skip Loescher

38. Carol Brown says:

Caroline, you’re an exceptional reporter and a classy lady. I’m truly going to miss you.

~Fare Thee Well~