Facebook Threat Prompts Lockdown In Minn. School District

EDEN VALLEY, Minn. (WCCO) — A Minnesota school district was locked down on Wednesday after a possible threat was posted on Facebook.

The Eden Valley-Watkins superintendent said all of the schools were locked down around 9 a.m. after the message was discovered.

The Meeker County Sheriff’s Office reported that the Facebook page said, “I see dead people” and was posted along with a photo of Eden Valley-Watkins High School.

During the lockdown, students are kept in classrooms and not allowed hall passes. Superintendent Larry Peterson said the lockdown was a precaution but they take threats seriously.

The sheriff’s office said officers were in the area of the school looking for any suspicious activity. Students were released for the day without any incidents.

The superintendent said Facebook and the Meeker County Sheriff’s Office are working to track down the author of the post.

Eden Valley is about 90 minutes northwest of the Twin Cities.

Comments

1. Tony says:

Really makes you want to have more kids, doesn’t it?

1. jg says:

Wow. That is the dumbest thig I have heard come out of a conservatives mouth in a long time.

2. Anth says:

You kidding me? Beyond stupid.

3. willie says:

lol facebook full of trubles….

1. Like says:

No, Facebook is full of morons.
      Notice how if a employer wants to know if your a moron the first thing they do is check Facebook.
      when they find the account owner how do they prove who did the typing? It’s not like FB is real secure.

4. Anna says:

I definitely wouldn’t call these pre-cautionary measures stupid. I imagine I would feel a lot more “stupid” if I were a part of the administration at EVW and didn’t take this kind of stuff literally and something dangerous WAS meant out of the message…

5. Anna says:

And coincidentially enough, also the anniversary of Columbine…

6. Cindi Rhoe says:

to whomever did this: GET A LIFE and quit disrupting the lives of innocent people.

7. lisa says:

facebook isnt the problem its unsupervised children thats the problem. facebook is intented for fun dont blame facebook when the problem is in parantel hands

8. SIlly says:

I know the school is being more cautious but this is outrageous! New technology and social networks making it easier for people to post things they shouldn’t. We need to educate the young ones better!

Almost every kid has a cell phone and a simple text out of rage can cause an entire school to close down.

1. Anna says:

Well maybe this will teach kids to be careful about what they say and how important words can be- especially regarding social networking. Yes, social networking makes it EASIER for people to post things they shouldn’t…but that doesn’t mean it’s condoned because it’s efficient and accessible. Perhaps MORE education on tragic events such as Columbine would be beneficial in WHY this stuff is taken so seriously. The Rocori school shooting was also not that long ago and shouldn’t be too unfamiliar…from my understanding of the geography in this area…the towns are relatively close together.

1. Anna says:

Who are you exactly referring to when you use the vague “you”?

1. Anna says:

I didn’t specify when I said we needed to educate our children. If anything, I was referring to “we” as parents…and as a parent, I WOULD be doing something when I talk to my children about these issues. Do I think our government plays a part in it? Absolutely. If this makes me a liberal, so be it. That’s my answer. And last time I checked, this was open for all to comment…so I will say as I please and will certainly try not to start childish internet fights(this can’t even be considered debate) because unlike you, I have better things to do with my time than go on political finger pointing power trips online because I’m either bored, unhappy with my own life, or I’m guessing in your case…both.

1. A EV-W Students' DAD says:

Why do you keep posting the same “childish internet fights” starting comment that is condescending and leads one to believe you think you are smarter and better then everyone else in this world. By the way, “better use of your time” 7 of 26 posts and 1 post is posted twice. As a parent of Eden Valley – Watkins students, I think your off track here of the real issue at hand. Hats off to EV-W administration for reacting rather then ignoring the facebook comment. My kids and all the students are home safe. That is what really matters.

2. Anna says:

And honestly, I have NO idea what you just said or what your point is. For all you know, I could be conservative. This really has nothing to do with politics(well, I suppose it could…but nothing I would care to discuss with someone who can’t even formulate basic sentences). Please go preach to someone on the same intellectual level as you.

2. Courtney says:

This person hacked the Eden Valley Watkins Facebook, and wrote it. So how do you get off saying it was some young child, who needs to be watched better. I think that EVW is doing the right thing by locking down the school, If you have kids in that school and somthing bad did happen, I bet that would be one of the last things you would say is that EVW is taking it to far. Atleast parents in the EVW district know that if somthing were to happen they take safty first, and make sure the children are safe.

1. EVW Parent says:

This was not a facebook page set up by the school.

2. Connor says:

This profile was created around the beginning of the school year. A 9th grade Research Tech class brought it to the schools attention in the 1st quarter. IT IS NOT A SCHOOL RUN PROFILE. It’s just someone being stupid.

3. LoveItOrLeaveIt says:

I don’t understand WHY students need to have a cell phone with them at school. If there’s an emergency, all it takes is a call to the principal’s office. They have all students’ schedules and can get ahold of a student quickly. There’s NO good reason to have a cell phone in school. Parents, insist your children leave their cell phones at home, please. You are the parents and make the rules, not the kids.

9. whatever says:

Facebook is the devil.

10. A Mom says:

As a EV-W parent, I am glad the district took this seriously and ensured the safety of my kids. I do beleive this is some kid playing a prank and thinks saying things like this is funny. It is immature and if that is what that kid does with a Facebook account, then that kid needs to lose his / her account. I thank the school for all their hard work to keep my kids safe.

11. Ellen says:

I agree that facebook can be a problem. Hopefully they will figure out if this was just a prank/something said in anger….or if it was an actual threat. For all the bragging that is done about the success of EVW schools academically etc., this goes to show that they are at risk for stupid pranks or threats like all the others.

12. Anna says:

1. shamoo says:

like write on face book all day

13. Kellie says:

WOW! First off, is it even established it is a kid that posted the comment?, it could be a deranged adult with nothing better to do with his or her time, or someone meaning to do harm?

The school is doing what they need to do to keep ALL kids safe, if they didn’t they would be criticized for NOT reacting to the threat if something happened.

WHEN all the facts are researched, the person(s) should be held accountable, with more than just a Facebook suspension. Until then, hats off to keeping the kids safe!

1. Another EVW Mom says:

In fact, it has been determined that the author was an adult woman. She lives in Minneapolis and has children in our school district. Her name is unreleased at this time, as the Meeker County Attorney’s office is considering possible charges.

14. Pat says:

Am I the only one here who has seen the movie poltergeist?

Stupid people indeed.

1. EVW Parent says:

Guess your included in that comment since it is not from poltergist but in fact from the movie the sixth sense…

Stupid people indeed…….

15. lisa says:

FOR ALL OF YOU OUT THERE, THE POINT IS WE NEED AS PARANTS TO MONITOR THINGS CLOSER. THE PERSON WHO INFACT DID THIS IS AN ADULT AND NOT OF THE LOCAL AREA. WE NEED TO KEEP FORWORD WITH OUR CHILDREN AND HELP THEM UNDER STAND , THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT THERE ARE MANY OF PEOPLE WHO SEE THE WORLD DIFFERENT. YES WE ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE TO HELP THE NEW GENERATION TO STAY SAFE. I AM A PARANT OF 8 SOME MINE SOME STEP. ITS WHAT WE PUT INTO THERE MINDS AND, HOW WE CONTROL THINGS THATS GOING TO MAKE ADIFFERENCE.. MY KIDS CAME HOME THEY DIDNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT, AS APARANT I SAT WITH THEM AND EXPLAINED IT TO THEM. THAT FOR SURE IS MY RESPONSIBILITY.

16. lisa says:

hats off to the quick responders in our school and school board. my children our home safe to.

17. an Eden Valley resident says:

YES THEY DID THE RIGHT THING. Cold Spring is not that far from Eden Valley and look at what happened a few years back and again last week a gun today a knife. Than the kids from New London-Spicer school district. not that far from Eden Valley either and than a comment put on face book about death. OUR SCHOOL did the right thing. IT may have been someones JOKE but EVW did the right thing by checking it out and making sure someone didn’t need some help.

18. Steve says:

Eden Valley-Watkins is full of PHD professors.

19. Retired and Thankful for it says:

And the teacher’s salaries should be tied to test scores of troubled kids like this?

Get real.

1. Jim says:

they don’t even know that it was done by a student from ev-w or even a student at all…

20. Artist36 says:

Somebody obviously needs to find a new hobby!!! Sounds like someone had a grudge and thought this would be a good way to get even. Apparently they are young or they’d know the repercussions involved with “terroristic threats” like these.

21. concerned citizen in the area. says:

The school is responcible for ALL people in the school.. I feel theydid what was right. I will not lsecond gues those in charge, I don’t want their jobs & feel they are doing the best they can for students & staff.

22. Kayla says:

So this may be a little out of line as I am not a member of the Eden Valley Community but in my opinion the comment made on facebook was one that could be taken several different ways. Regardless of how it was meant to be taken by the person who did in fact make it, the school did what they felt was best for the safety of the students and staff. It is better to be safe in any situation where the lives of people are involved. To those who think that the school over reacted, let me ask you this: if you had a child attending there or a loved one working there, would you be willing to gamble with their life? I certainly wouldn’t! I am glad that the school was looking out for everyone and that everyone is safe. I hope it stays that way and they get to the bottom of this. As far as where the responsibility lies, it is solely on the person who did it. It is a parents job to teach their children right from wrong and to help them make the right decisions but a parent can only do so much before a child of any age does something. As a parent myself, I will do my best to set a good example for my child and teach wrong from right etc. but all any parent can do is hope that their child takes what they have taught them and put it to good use.

23. EVW real mother and parent says:

As a parent of children at EVW, I am proud of the school for taking precautions. Second, the MOTHER that did this should be behind bars for terroristic threats. Also, if she thinks that this was an okay thing to do, she should have her parental rights stripped because I wouldn’t even want to know what else she teaches her children is okay to do! I think a little parenting classes, anger management, psych evals, and time behind bars would do the woman a lot of good!!

24. Caitlin says:

Wasn’t it some kid who’d just watched the six sense?