Quarter Of Minn. Households Are Now Cell Phone Only

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota is in the middle of the pack when it comes to abandoning landline telephones in favor of cell phones.

Estimates released Wednesday by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are that about 24 percent of adults nationally live in wireless-only households. For Minnesota, the estimate is about 25 percent, within the survey’s margin of error. Adults living in the Twin Cities metro area are somewhat more likely to have cut the cord than adults in the rest of Minnesota.

Only about 9 percent of Minnesota adults still live in landline-only households. Homes in Greater Minnesota are more likely to be landline only than those in the metro area.

The CDC researchers say lower-income people are likelier than the better off to have only a cell phone.

——-

Comments

1. whatever says:

I only have a land line because of a package discount rate on my Comcast bundle. When that expires I will give up the landline forever. Right now it is used primarily as the phone number I give businesses and anyone else I think I may get spam calls from.

1. comcast sucks says:

From comcast, it isn’t a land line.
      Watch when your power goes out.

If in the event some catastrophic thing were to happen – land lines always have a 48v power to them….

1. whatever says:

There is a battery backup in the modem so it actually does work. I suppose if it was an extended power outage it would go down though.

2. Sarah says:

I have four kids at my house – I keep my home phone for them plus in case of emergencies everybody has easy access to a phone that even the younger ones can find easily and dial 911. But I don’t use it that much – it’s also the phone number I give out because I don’t answer it much.

3. Sabrina says:

We got rid of our land line two years ago when we realized the only calls we received on that line were from Michele Bachmann!! No need to answer those, so my husband, myself, and our 3 kids all use cell phones. It has worked out great for us and no annoying calls to answer!

1. K. says:

Personally, I don’t even have a cell phone. I can afford it but just don’t have a need for one………yet. We’d thought about going to cell only but need the landline for the high-speed internet access. One thing to consider with a cell phone………if there is a tornado or some other disaster, the cell phone towers could be knocked out therefore making the cell phone for emergencies useless. I read that somewhere……….and that landlines are more reliable in those kinds of emergencies. Just food for thought.

1. Sabrina says:

You don’t need a land line for high speed internet.

1. Tech says:

You do need either a copper pair or a coaxial line to get you internet at home ,unless you are using a wireless provider, which most people are not using for their desktop! How do you think it gets to your modem?

2. st paul says:

I’d rather them call then those stupid democrats who come door to door… wanna punch them in the face!

1. Sabrina says:

st paul….how sad, another conservative with anger management issues.

4. Chris says:

Anybody else wonder why it’s the CDC doing this study? Is this where our tax dollars are going? If anyone wanted to know it should be the FCC…

5. Jessica says:

The results show that low income people are the ones who don’t have landlines? I am not low income and I only have a cell phone. That makes me pretty smart. Why do I need two phone lines? That is almost $500 a year down the drain people.

1. for those who dont know says:

6. comcast sucks says:

A LAND LINE IS NOT part of comcast…

A land line is a SEPARATE wire from your coaxial. It’s a 4 pin wire meant to provide 48 volts. Even in a power outage – your phone will work on these, PROVIDED it’s not a cordless phone (because those require power)

7. for those who dont know says:

Fyi to all who are no longer using a landline. If you ever need to call 911 you do not have to give you address if you call from a landline, they automatically see the address you are calling from and can dispatch right away. If you are calling from a cellphone they can get a close range within about 10 blocks but cannot see exactly where you are calling from. It is best and the safest to keep a landline in your home just for that reason alone. If there is a serious emergency what if you cannot give your address? or what if someone who is calling that doesnt live there so doesnt know the address? Or what if you just dont have time its a life and death situation? It’s best to be safe and keep a landline in your home, even if you never have to call 911, it’s always good to know its there just in case.

8. elias says:

Well, again, as with their iPad streaming, Comcast is trying real hard to catch up, but here again, they’ve been beat. Don’t get me wrong, if I was a Comcast customer, I’d be ecstatic that I could now use my smart phone as a glorified remote control. However, being a DISH customer/employee? Umm, that’s not enough. I can already watch Live TV and Recorded events off my receiver using my smart phone, tablet, or laptop, anywhere in the world I can find a 3G connection. The technology is obviously out there, I just can’t figure out why Comcast isn’t really implementing it.