St. Paul Workers Hit By Driver Are Still In Hospital

By Steve Murphy, NewsRadio 830 WCCO

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Two street workers are still hospitalized after being struck by a motorist in St. Paul on Tuesday.

The accident happened at 11 a.m. on Fairview Ave. South beneath the I-94 bridge when the St. Paul Public Works workers were struck by a 91-year-old woman.

Rich Lallier, the Director of Public Works said, “The message is to be alert and pay attention and follow the traffic laws.”

Lallier says one of the workers, Craig Johnson Sr., remains in critical condition in an induced coma. Johnson’s left hand was amputated but Lallier said the prognosis for his left leg is “better than 50-50.”

Johnson, 41, is from St. Paul and the other injured man was 35-year-old Thomas Haack of Mankato, Minn.

WCCO’s Steve Murphy Interviews Rick Lallier

“Understand that our people — by the nature of their work — are working in a hazardous environment. They’re in the right of way on a daily basis,” he said.

No charges have been filed against the woman. Police are continuing their investigation.

Comments

1. Ruoari says:

I’m sorry, this may be a terrible thing to say, but I don’t care how healthy and alert you are, no 91 year old should be driving.
    I hope both these men pull through this.

1. JamieinMN says:

I agree! I said the same thing on the previous article.

2. dtlynn says:

I agree 100% that a person at 91 does not have the instincts to reach to situations in a timely manner and should be allowed to drive unsupervised, meaning a person should be required to ride when on the road Now two people doing the job are severly injured and one may not be able to return to work due to the loss of his hand. If the other doesn’t loose his leg is going to have a long rehab.

3. Yana says:

I totally agree! If you’re 75+ you should consider taking a cab or something…. don’t put the lives of others and your own in danger.

2. red says:

Why is a 91 yeear old driving?

3. Lin says:

A 91 year old shouldn’t be driving. I feel as if they should conduct a reflex test for people once they reach a certain age.
    My prayers are with both these men.

4. Todd says:

Don’t discriminate because of peoples age. 91 is the new 85.

5. jack hanley says:

i worked for the city of st paul for several years. often if workers wanted to improve the safety of a dangerous job they would face the anger and imtimidation of their suppervisiors. management saw safty as a bother and an assult on their power.

6. red says:

That is not discrimination, it is common sense and safety for EVERYONE

7. Dan says:

I’m 21 and I know if I were the one to hit those workers I’d be sitting in a cell right now. Charges need to be brought up.

1. Yana says:

So true, just because someone is a century old doesn’t make them any less responsible.

8. Hard to give up the keys. says:

I am 87 and if I am honest I should have stopped driving in my mid-70’s. Hard to do something that in essence is saying the days are numbered.
    I quit driving on my 80th B-day. My family was happy that day came

1. JamieinMN says:

Thank you for taking that step. I can’t imagine somebody taking away my privilege to drive. I would feel so threatened. But alot of the times, it’s for the better, for everyone.

9. Lorenz says:

What blatant age discrimination. Elderly drivers are far safer to others than teen drivers, and even compared to young adults: “Per licensed driver, drivers 75 and older kill fewer pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcyclists, and occupants in other vehicles compared with drivers aged 30-59. The majority of the harm caused by elderly drivers is inflicted on themselves and on other elderly passengers, as 75% of people who die in crashes involving elderly drivers are either an elderly passenger or driver themselves.” Try doing some research before you inflict your bigoted and ignorant comments on the public. And no, the 21 yr old mouth wouldn’t be in jail; there have been several fatalities inflicted by younger drivers in MN this year and none have yet been charged.

1. JamieinMN says:

Oh that’s incredibly laughable!

2. successNOT says:

You have to be 100, everyone in this chat room is stupider for having to listened to you. Not very often does an entire paragraph contain that much incorrect information.

10. captainobvious says:

What is she doing alive at 91, is the real question i’l be dead by 75- 80 at best

11. HooDatIS? says:

IM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO LOVE ME
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    I AINT GOT NO JOB I AINT GOT FANCY CAR DONT LIVE A LIFE OF LUXURY AND I AINT NO MOVIE STAR
    BURN BABY BURN DISCO INFERNO

1. Gerald Ball says:

Re- check the web sight you are on.

12. john Haack says:

I’m TJ’s (tom’s) dad…you know we are so grateful our boys are alive….there’s plenty of blame to go around…throwing tires on city streets for anyone to have to pick up should be an offence…driving inattentively at 91 should be an offense…driving impaired or drunk IS an offense…the driving public continues to be more demanding and disrespectful and short of major overhaul to safeguard those going out into harms way on a daily basis, there will be more injuries and some deaths…who will be next?…I hope the three separate ongoing investigations will result in substantial safety changes …. …

13. Geral Ball says:

Still too old!!!

14. Gerald Ball says:

I am Tom Haacks next door neighbor and good friend, all I have to say about this a month after the fact is that it is very sad to see someone who has been so active struggle in pain just to do the most basic things that he has always done. For the past 2 weeks or so I have been helping him as much as I can. He can’t even put on shoes because of swelling caused by the blunt trauma to the back of his leg. Tom is very much a religious man and great father to his daughter and good friend to me. I hope he recovers from all of this soon. He is a good man.

Jerry