Lino Lakes Police Officer Accidentally Shot In Coon Rapids

By Rachel Slavik, WCCO-TV and Lindsey Seavert, WCCO-TV

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The police officer, who was accidentally shot at a law enforcement gun range in Coon Rapids, Minn., has been identified.

Officer Chad Schirmers was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center for treatment. Police say he suffered non-life threatening injuries. He was conscious when the ambulance arrived and has now been upgraded to serious condition.

Officials say the Lino Lake Police Department was conducting a firearms training at the Anoka County Law Enforcement Range when 26-year-old Schirmers was struck.

The bullet apparently ricocheted and hit him in the hip, between his belt buckle and bulletproof vest.

“I’ve been doing this 23 years and I honestly don’t recall anything like this occurring before,” said Sgt. Tom Hawley of the Coon Rapids Police.

Coon Rapids Police rushed to help on the scene, but couldn’t immediately determine whether the bullet came from Schirmers’ gun or another. Hawley, who trains at the same facility, said it’s a controlled environment, where officers aren’t allowed to shoot unless instructed.

“You can’t fire until the range officer says it’s OK to shoot,” he said.

Hawley said a range officer was present and did instruct the three Lino Lakes officers on Thursday.

It was a close call for Anoka County officers, who understand the danger. They are comforted by the fact that Schirmers was alert and aware of his injury.

Schirmers is a three-year veteran of the Lino Lakes Police Department. There were three other officers at the range at the time of the shooting.

“When I got there, they were just about to load him onto the ambulance, and he was talking to his wife on his cell phone, letting her know what happened,” Hawley said. “I wish him well and hope the best for his family.”

Coon Rapids Police hope to interview Schirmers to learn more once he is well enough.

The Minnesota BCA will help investigate how exactly the accident happened.

Comments

1. Matt says:

Was stopped in traffic in front of the dome with police cars blocking all the intersections. 10 units from various departments screamed by, escorting the ambulance.

1. Jenny says:

This cops put their lives on the line daily to keep our communities safe. As a wife of a police officer I find these comments unbelievable. I once went on a ride along with my husband when he first started. It takes a lot of courage to do what they do. You really never know what driver is capable of when you pull someone over. I hope you encounter a time when you need a police officer’s help, and this comment you made comes to mind.

2. Mike says:

Ricochet? Thank goodness this happened at a range where it will be more difficult to distort the event and the investigation.

3. Meeee says:

I don’t remember them shutting down the city when I had to go to that hospital with a heart attack in process.

1. Poor Meeee says:

The cop is in the hospital because he was shot in the line of duty…not because he spent the last 30 years eating bacon double cheeseburgers and drinkin beer.

1. rick says:

thats funny poor meeee ….

2. successNOT says:

shot in line of duty? A bullet richoted and hit him

1. Poor Meee says:

Yes. He was shot. A bullet….shot from a gun….struck him….while on official duty during a training exercise (p.s., it’s “ricochet”). Back to spelling class, village idiot.

1. Big D says:

Dear Poor Mee idiot, In the line of duty would mean that he was on a call when this took place… When infact it was only a training exercise… There’s a big difference…. Bieng hit by a ricochet during a training exercise is not “in the line of duty”….

4. Youuuuu says:

No offense, Meeee, but you’re not a hero.

1. Andy says:

Nether are 99% of cops

1. andy2 says:

doesnt beat the 100% of you

2. Becky says:

You know, I really wonder how arrogant people can be. Anyone that puts there live in danger on a daily basis, is a sacrfiice. That is a hero in my eyes.
        The only people who usually make comments about cops like this in my opinion, are people who have had continuous run ins with the law, JUST saying……..

5. filter says:

wcco stop filtering

6. Here 4 U says:

He is in surgery.

7. chimp says:

I live in Coon Rapids, no richocets better not hit my cat.

1. Abby says:

Scary that someone in my own town can make light of a situation that really isn’t a joke, but Ohhhhh K??!!!???

8. Richard in Minneapolis says:

That’s it. Let’s blame it all on Rick O’Shea.

9. Todd Luttman says:

thats a horrible area for the range. compost sight behind it and the archery range just beyond the impact bunker. not to mention houses to the left of it. just stupid!

10. michelle m says:

We were in our car on Hanson blvd. as the ambulance came out of the gun range and followed it to hwy 10. We were wondering who was important enough to have all traffice stopped for them along the entire route. Makes sense that it was a fellow officer.

1. Jenny says:

I agree, I was really happy to see emergency services assistant someone who puts their live on the line everyday, be cared for in that regard.
      I was really proud to know he was cared for, for all the care he has given throughout his community.

11. PMH49 says:

I have needed both police and firefighters before and they were right there for me. If they are concerned for one of their own (who is in critical condition by the way) fine with me. I know that when I need help they will be right there for me – whether they know me or not. If you have not been in need and seen them respond, you cannot appreciate how much these folks give of themselves.

1. Jenny says:

I agree! You read some of these negative posts and wonder, how these people have never had a situation where a police officer arrived and you felt a sense of relief when they arrived.

Thank you to all the cops who serve in our communites.

12. Not Andy says:

Thank you PMH49. Andy, continue being jealous that every police officer will be ten times more important and powerful than you will ever be.

1. swerver says:

I respect them but its a easy degree to get, i started going to school for it, but was offered a job that paid same as 10 year vet. couldnt turn it down. No school costs, yea its labor but i like it, simple fact is of course theyre going to escort the ambulance he was shooting at a range full of cops. alot of states you can be a police officer without any school besides academy. SETTLE not andy your only as important as you think you are….

1. PMH49 says:

You miss the point – It is not about how easy the degree is. A lot of people with advanced degrees absolutely suck at helping others. Where I live we have Deputy Sheriffs and volunteer fire fighters. The volunteers are out at all hours doing everything from fires to accident extractions. They do flood relief and traffic control to keep their neighbors safe. The deputies do so much to keep us civilians civil you would not believe it. Do yourself a favor, swerver – do a ride along with the law enforcement people where you live. If you come away with the same attitude – fine – I bet you won’t though.

1. swerver says:

I still dont get the point. they do their job they signed up for correct. Very seldom does 1 make a difference in Anoka County, but they dont bother me i dont bother them so its fine. I hope he’s fine but i dont see the heroics in this

1. PMH49 says:

I know you don’t have a clue – so does most everybody else.. You have made it very clear. My point is: If you need help, you should hope someone far less callous than you will get the call. If someone just like you gets the call – you’re gonna die. If that day comes for you – and I hope it never does – you had better hope for someone you currently have no respect for gets the call.

13. scott says:

Chad Schimers 26 years old married for just about 3 years originally from the pierz mn area

1. mary says:

My prayers to Chad and his family for a speedy recovery. Thank you for serving!

14. scott says:

schirmers corrected spelling

15. tr says:

…this does not need to be reported…it is merely an accident but because “it was a shooting” and it “was a cop” leave it to the media to report it like it was something sensational…..it was merely an accident.

1. Jenny says:

I disagree. There was a lot of news helicopters over our neighborhood for hours, with the range being walking distance from our home. There were many police sirens going off. It was nice to be informed as to what was happening in our city.

16. Andy says:

I’ve been a Scout sniper ine the US Marines for 14 years and have done 2 tours in Iraq and 3 in afghanistan. Trust me nothing to be jealous about I’ve done more in a year than most of them will do in their whole career. Nice try though definitly “Not Andy”

1. Real Truth says:

Andy,

THANK YOU for your service to our country, and Thank You for pretecting my freedom, and the freedom for those that can’t figure it out. Semper Fi

2. mary says:

wow, sad that you would talk about someone who as you qoute, ” you have done more then they will in their career”. amazing you Would be so arrogant about someone else who puts their live in the line of duty daily. Whether it be less dangerous then yours or not. It is still admirable, not less important. How can you not respect a police man in the line of work you do? That is a bit concerning.

3. Not Andy Either says:

And while Andy’s off playing “army” in another country, the officers of the state are looking after his wife, kids, mother, and father…keeping them safe from the criminals we have HERE. I’m a current police officer who was also active duty and deployed. Military goons need nothing but a trigger finger and a pulse. But most of them wouldn’t pass the psych eval or the written test to become a cop. Just because you followed an order and maybe whacked a few folks doesn’t make you a hero. It means you served. Pull a suicidal off a bridge or a driver from a burning car….then you can be a hero.

1. mcmxi says:

“the officers of the state are looking after his wife, kids, mother, and father…keeping them safe from the criminals we have HERE.”

That’s funny. You know the old saying. “When seconds count, the cops are minutes away.” Cops are, for the most part, investigators and ticket writers. It’s funny how cops try to make themselves out to be modern day gunfighters. Yeah, I’ve used the services before. When my car was broke into, I called the sheriff and reported it. They came an hour later, looked at it, and left; a complete waste of time.

Cops don’t “put their lives on the line” every day, either. I know many LEO’s, and NONE of them have ever felt their life was in jeapordy. Most cops will tell you that you should own your own firearms and be prepared to defend yourself and your family, cause they won’t be there in time.

My line of work is a lot more dangerous than being a cop. More men have died already this year than cops will all year, guaranteed. Yet, we don’t go around demanding respect from others because of how dangerous it is.

While I hope this guy is alright, he wasn’t shot in the line of duty. He was shot at a range, by a ricochet, probably while completing his mandatory annual certification. Let’s not make it more than it is. His life isn’t any more valuable than ours, the “civilians”.

2. mcmxi says:

Also, our service members are bigger heroes than any public service in this country. You make it sound like they don’t put their lives on the line, just pull the trigger and “whack” a few folks. That’s a pretty arrogant statement.

Man, cops are all the same. The closest thing I can figure is it’s a Napolean complex.

17. Kris says:

I was at the Bunker Hills Driving range and noticed a helicopter hovering around the golf course. An employee of the course told me that someone shot a cop during a training exercise and the helicopter was up there searching for the suspect. This employee even told me they pulled the girls high school golf league off the course because of the danger…is there more to this?

18. dorsalfin says:

Hey Andy says,

being shot at by foreign nationals in their own country and being shot at by fellow Americans are two different things. at least you leave the leave the battle zone while we live in our cities for our lives and deal with people trying to shoot us. Thanks for your service, but its apples and oranges. Try working the Mexican border for more than one year at a time and see how you feel then.

1. thekhanvict says:

Leave the battle zone??? When in Iraq do you leave the battle zone? The whole country is the battle zone? And sometimes (or a lot of the time) the very people you are trying to help are shooting at you. AND everyone, even a four year old could have a bomb strapped to them. You’re right that it’s comparing apples to oranges, but what police go through on a daily basis is nothing compared to an active duty marine.

1. Real Truth says:

Well, yes and no. The active duty marine goes on watch and expects someone to shoot at them, the officer in Minneapolis (or suberbs) goes on duty not nessearily expecting someone to shoot at them. On one side the officer can often identify the enemy, on the other side the marine may not be able to. If you had the choice of being a marine in Iraq with a loaded rifle ready to fire walkiing up to a group of people or an officer in Lino Lakes walking up to a house responding to a domestic not knowing if anyone inside is armed which would you choose?

Certainly not trying to belittle anything our awesome marines do every day, or saying one is easier than the other, but just asking.

THANKS to all of you that keep us safe, wheather it be on a deseart road in Iraq, or the streets of Lino Lakes.

Praying for Office Schirmers and his family, and continully praying for our hero’s over seas, may you all come home safe.

2. mcmxi says:

Uh, working the Mexican borderr would be dealing with Mexican Nationals, not fellow Americans. Your point is moot.

19. brad says:

lino cops are crooked

1. Megan says:

You should be ashamed of yourself. This man puts hbis life on the line and you have nothing good to say. Better pray you never need the police. What did this guy ever do to you anyhway? I know nothing bad cause I personally know him and he’s a really nice and honest man.

1. mcmxi says:

He’s probably an awesome dude, but he doesn’t put his life on the line. Very few cops will ever be in a life-threatening situation. Yeah, traffic stops can go wrong, but the tiny percentage that do don’t back up the statement. I respect the job they do, I truly do, but it annoys me how people put cops on pedestals. Do a google search on police brutality or police misconduct. There are a ton of crooked mf’ers out there hiding behind a badge.

2. Amber says:

Thats a pretty serious allegation. Do you have proof to back that up?

20. Cec14160 says:

Anybody that talks about there service being more important than that of others is simply a hack, pathetic. 99.9% of cops do their job without the need to be recognized and go home at the end of the day being humble.

21. Megan says:

You all should be ashamed if you have nothing good to say. Here’s an offcer who puts his life on the line, is a really nice guy, and was hurt in a freak accident while training to possibly same your life and you can’t just say you hope for the best for him? Are you sick? I went to school with the guy and know personally that he’s a really great guy.
    Thanks to the people with hearts sendig good wishes his way. I think you’d change your tune if he had to save your life or he was the one to show up when you needed police.
    Praying for you both, Chad and Amanda.
    With well wishes,
    A classmate

1. Jenny says:

I agree Megan. I am a wife of a police officer and it is so sad to see that people could possibly not appreciate the sacrifices they make for our communities. In my opinion I feel most of the negative comments are from people who have had unfortunate run ins with that law. Not that, that makes there comments acceptable.

Prayers to Chad and his family.. There are many of us praying for you!

22. dorsalfin says:

Hey thekhanvict,

you leave thebattlezone when your tour is up and you are rotated home. police don’t get that luxury, they are in their jurisdiction every day if their careers. so I am glad and proud if our military and a veteranmyself, but it is still not a good comparison as the military is trained to use all the force they have and police have to use incremental force. So the military vets may have seen morecombat and fired more rounds, but how would they do if their first option was to talk to the enemy before they could do anything else.

23. stillobvious says:

You do realize over 85% of officers never even fire their weapon in their career, what a absolute joke you consider Iraq and Afghan easier to deal with then being a police officer in minnesota, look up the last time a officer in anoka coun ty was shot and killed on duty, im not in service , but its a ridiculous comparison, Some1 please explain to this imbusile that they don’t just walk around Iraq shooting every1

1. mcmxi says:

I’m with you. It’s the “wives” and “high school buddies” of cops that say they risk their life every time they pin that badge on. Most cops fire their weapons once a year, and that’s while doing their annual certification. Everyone needs to look up statistics. Home owners and concealed-carriers are the ones that keep their families safe. Cops come after the fight and investigate. Minus the random felony-stop, their jobs are relatively boring and low-key.

Our troops will do more for this country in one year in the sandbox than most cops will do their entire careers, that’s a fact. Without our troops, their wouldn’t be a need for cops, because our country wouldn’t be what it is. Wake up, people.

24. FEELING SORRY AGAIN says:

MORE COPS CRYING!!! THIS IS 2 BAD BUT JUST LIKE THE STORY THE OTHER DAY, THIS IS WHAT IS A DANGER OF THERE JOB? IF THEY DONT LIKE IT GET A JOB CLEANING OFFICE BUILDINGS!! HEROES, NO THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE PAID 2 DO!!?? NOT TRYING 2 BE A JERK BUT I DO MY JOB AND DONT WHINE.

1. Jenny says:

wow!!!!!!!!!!!! um, ok???
      Unbelievable!!!!
      Wondering what your “line of work” is.
      And if it involves any risk of pulling someone over who is drunk on the way home. On the same roads YOU are driving to and from work. And never knowing if pulling that drunk over, ( again to keep you and your loved ones safe, from possibly hitting and killing someone), would involve the person pulling out a gun and shotting you. Just for keeping the roads safe for you. That my arrogant friend, is always a danger of their job. They are paid to keep the communites safe, wow!!!! But really, you don’t whine about your job. I would love to know what job that is, because to this day I have never know anyone to never “whine” about their jobs. Remember this comment the day you or a loved one is helped by a police officer.

1. swerver says:

Yea I can count the number of times a police officer has been shot and killed or injured by a drunk in the north metro he pulled over. 1,2,3, ok i mean 0. Being a police officer in minneaplois is 10times the job of being 1 in the suburbs, Sorry we’re not organizing parades already for this accidental shooting, just because your work 50 hours and get paid for 40 at walmart dont make you matter. Ive had 1 conversation in the last 7 years with an officer, and it was a noise complaint, the usual for the north metro, Obv. i respect their job but id rather be a suburban officer than going to iraq and afghanistan everyyear.

2. swerver says:

The most dangerous part of being a officer in minnesota is being hit by a car, chk the facts, and some do a better job of aligning their vechicle when they have some1 pulled over, some just block half the road and stand on the drivers side, they could use better judgement also

25. HooDatIS? says:

ALL I GOT TO SAY IS WE ALL WE GOT WE GOT TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER LIKE THERE IS NO TOMMOROW
    LORD KEEP US DAY BY DAY IN A GOOD AND PERFECT WAY
    AND GOD BLESS AMERICA
    WE ALL ARE DOWN ON OUR LUCK IN EVERY PART OF AMERICA! WE GOT TO LOVE LOVE LOVE ITS PARTY TIME

26. Jessica says:

Annoyed

You people use the word hero to often, what about him getting hit with possiably his own bullet makes him a hero? Dont get me wrong I have the up must respect for the men and women of law enforcement, but give me a break blocking off intersections for non-life threatening injuries was a big was of time and tax dollars.

1. Jessica says:

Meant to put waste

1. Jessican't says:

Did you also mean to put “possibly” and “utmost”? There was nothing non-life threatening about this. He was admitted to the hospital and went immediately up to surgery, listed in CRITICAL condition. And don’t complain about tax dollars like you pay taxes. I suppose you’d rather have them spend this money on the food stamp program. So some officers took 5 minutes out of their shift to block an intersection so a fellow officer could get to the hospital quickly. Thats not a waste of tax dollars. It’s not like they mobilized a SWAT unit or called out the national guard. You’re just mad because nobody blocks intersections for you when you’re on your way to pick up your welfare check.

1. Jessica says:

1ST off you dont know me I work a 50 hour work week so please with the welfare comments, 2nd off he was shot in the hip how life threating is that so please I stick by my comment espically when ignorant comments like yours are made. Know your facts before making your comments.

1. Jessican't says:

You’re right, I don’t know you. And I shouldn’t have made the welfare comments. But put yourself in that position. Most people wouldn’t consider your husband or child a hero either, but I can bet that if you had the desire and the means to block off interections after one of them had been shot (regardless of where the bullet hit), you would. And thats all this is. State Patrol and Mpls PD had the means escort the ambulance and block intersections, so they did. And I can promise you, it didn’t cost you anything, taxpayer.

1. Jessica says:

I agree with you to a point, but like you said my child or husband would not get the same treatment so why did he, and you dont know what that 5 mins could of meant to someone else. Like I said I have the up most respect for the law and the officers that uphold it . I have seen the good side and the bad side of the law (no I have neven been arrested) and I am the 1st to defend the law but this to me was taken alittle to far.

1. Jessica says:

Just a side note if his wounds were more serious I would of totally agreed with the actions that were taken.

2. Dave's Not Here says:

What’s with the continued use of the term “up most?”

2. Here 4 U says:

Hey Not sure what you think but whena bullet goes through the kidney and colon it can cause a lot of trouble.

1. Jessica says:

He was up and talking and aleart. I did not say his injuries were not severe just did not warrent the actions that were taken.

2. Here 4 U 2 says:

Well said! All these clowns saying “non-life threatening” and “waste of money to block intersections” can take a flying leap.

1. Jessica says:

Ok that is totally what I said. Thats why we have those shining things you know what most people call lights and sirens that tell other communicators that they is a emergency and to pull to the right so the ambulance can get by or did you miss that day of drivers ed.

1. Wake UP says:

I’m a cop, so I can say this: emergency lights mean nothing to you people. You’re too busy stuffing your faces w/ french fries, talking on the phone, and sending text messages to see what’s going on behind you. GET OUT OF THE F***ING WAY…but nobody does.

2. Jessica says:

Thank you for your service, and sorry that you feel what I said was offensive but I stick by it, he was not in any way in immediate danger to warrent those types of actions. Like I said if he was flat lining, or shot in a more dangerous spot where he needed more care at that moment that a paramedic could not provide I would understand but he wasnt. Sorry that in your city people dont fellow the law maybe next time giving them a ticket would make them realize to pull over.

3. mcmxi says:

Wake up:

You’re one of those cops that think you’re better than the general public, don’t you. You’re also the type of cop that we’ll see on a YouTube video some day harassing somebody. Get over yourself and go write a speeding ticket, Rambo.

27. NO SPECIAL TREATMENT says:

I do not feel they should get streets blocked off!!!! They are not going to block a street of for me or any other non police?? Ambulance yes. They are doing there job just like I am…..

1. MetroCopper says:

What is your job, just out of curiosity? I’m guessing you’re not a cop, a firefighter, or ambulance personnel. Do you work in any line of public service, or are you just in it for yourself? “nobody blocks streets off for me” blah blah blah. Why should they? What have you done to serve your city/state besides gripe about the taxes? Yes you’re all correct, we cops chose our line of work. And we ARE just doing our jobs, much like you. Officers get a bit of special treatment in circumstances like this not because we’re just “doing their job,” but because our job is one of public service.

2. Yay Special Treatment says:

There’s nothing wrong with special treatment for cops. Why? Because they serve others in a capacity that few others do. You’re right, the streets don’t get blocked for every swinging richard in an ambulance. Know why? They’ve not done anything to warrant such treatment with regard to public service.

1. mcmxi says:

That’s BS. There are a lot of professions out there that do more on a day-to-day basis than cops ever will. Cops’ lives are no more important than any other law-abiding citizen. They are, after all, just another “swinging richard”.

28. WRONG!! NO SPECIAL TREATMENT says:

I you go by that then every Vet should have all the roads blocked!! BS.

1. Get A Life says:

As was said earlier, it’s a matter of means and ability. Next time you need to be shuttled to the hospital, round up all of your veteran buddies and I’m sure they’ll block streets for you too. It just so happens the cops wanted to help a fellow officer get to the hospital a bit faster, rather than have the ambulance fight the afternoon rush hour. And despite what most of the goons on here think, it cost no more to John Q Taxpayer to have these officers spend 2 minutes blocking intersections.

2. Just Sayin says:

Even IF this cost me, the taxpayer, a few more dollars (which I doubt), I’d rather spend it on getting a wounded cop to the hospital than on food stamps or welfare.

29. Life yes special treatment NO!! says:

Your right!! Probably saved Holiday station store or Super America some money on doughnuts 😦 You have an interest, but they are not special!! Important yes. We need them.

30. Justin says:

Negative comments are unwarranted here..whats the need for it? Chad schirmers is a great guy and an awsome officer that i’ve had the pleasure of going on ride alongs with, and no matter what the circumstances he was hurt while on duty. Cops watch out for cops like family watches out for family, deal with it! Be thankful for anyone who works as a public servant as you or someone you love will need that help someday, and whether or not they think you”deserve” it, they will show up!

31. Wednesdays and Fridays says:

I personally think that all of you are missing the point. I don’t care how he was shot, where he was shot, or how many officers blocked the road for him. The bottom line is that Chad is someone’s child, brother and husband and no one knew for sure when he was being transported how bad his injuries were. There was no true way of knowing that until the surgery. The public still does not know the full extent of his injuries and quite frankly, that part is none of our business.
    So, instead of comparing and complaining, how about a little compassion for him, his family and friends? The minute I heard that he was shot, my heart sank and I began to pray for him and his family. I continue to pray for them and will be keeping them all in my thoughts.
    Hang in there Chad and Amanda — we all are pulling for you and praying for you. God Bless!

32. olgare says:

I would like to know how a bullet can ricochet off a backstop of a shooting range. They are designed to absorb projectiles not bounce them back at you. Sounds like it might have been an accidental discharge directed at part of the structure or surrounding landscape but those details are not likely to be released. It is best that these accidents happen during training and not on the streets, though and I’m glad everyone’s ok.

33. Happy He is ok. says:

Those of you who were so negative as to the Police escort should be ashamed of yourself. These officers go out daily to protect and serve us citiczens and the way you are bashing his escort to the Hospital is pittiful. What is wrong with you? As far as the rest of us know, he may have been severely injured with Life threatening wounds that during rush hour needed the extra attention. Officer Schirmers is a respected officer with a good record who would never degrade anyone the way you are degrading this situation.

1. mcmxi says:

So, what if some other citizen has life-threatening injuries during rush hour? Their life isn’t as important as a cops? You’re delusional. Cops are no more important than you or your neighbor. We all have the right to live. His right isn’t any more important than ours.

34. Accident biggest loser says:

If your child may be in an crash, can you be sure if you’re able to make a claim for settlement have they got a legitimate claim therefore, how much pay out would they …Stluczka w uk