Minnesota Teen Birthrate At 40 Year Low

By Susie Jones, NewsRadio 830 WCCO

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Minnesota’s birthrate among teenagers is at the lowest point in 40 years according to a report just released by Teen Wise.

Brigid Riley is Executive Director of the group and said there are a couple of reasons for the drop.

WCCO’s Susie Jones Interviews Brigid Riley

“The thing that we know the most is that there is better use of contraceptives by teenagers who are sexually active and teenagers are waiting longer,” she said.

Riley says Minnesota’s rates were higher than the national averages however, for minorities.

“And they are two to five times higher pregnancy and birthrates for girls from populations of color,” she said.

Riley says there is still work to be done.

“We know STD rates are still climbing in our state, and young people are also hungry for information about healthy relationships,” she said. “There’s a new crop of 13-year-olds every year we really can’t stop our work.”

Riley added, parents are still the most important player in keeping the birthrates low. She says keep talking to those young people in your lives.

More from Susie Jones
Comments

1. JamieinMN says:

“parents are still the most important player in keeping the birthrates low.” I don’t think anyone can stress this enough. You are NOT your kids’ friend, you’re their parents, act like it. Be aware, be informed.

1. Great comment Jamie says:

agree

2. Sarah in Outstate MN says:

Jamie, I totally agree with your comment.

I also think that talking about sex with your child should help. When my 2nd grader comes home from school and asks questions about things he hears on the bus I answer them honestly and correct all the misinformation he hears. I would rather he is aware of the correct information instead of the playground or bus version (which is usually wrong). I know he’s young, but I’d rather he know the truth from me than someone else. If he has questions, I would rather he come to me.

2. KT says:

Education does wonders. Inform them how things work and they’re more likely to make good choices instead of taking chances.

3. MW says:

Is it not possible that the birth rates are lower because of more abortions?

4. Victim Du Jour says:

I hear younger people make fun of welfare moms all the time.

Maybe young people don’t want to be like humpty dumpty baby boomers.