Minn. Senate Passes Bill Cutting State Workforce

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — The Minnesota Senate has passed a funding bill for state agencies and programs that would freeze state employee pay and reduce the size of the state workforce.

The Senate voted 37-29 on Wednesday for the $600 million state government bill. It passed on a straight party-line vote, and Republican Sen. Mike Parry says Dayton’s budget commissioner told him Dayton will veto it.

The bill shrinks the size of the state workforce by 15 percent in the next five years, and most state agencies get 5 to 20 percent budget reductions.

Republicans who control the Legislature are in the midst of passing various budget bills, but Dayton insists he won’t sign any until he strikes an overall budget deal with Republican leaders. Dayton and the GOP are in dispute over whether the budget should include a new revenue source.

Comments

1. Douog T says:

Excellent – belt tightening. Everyone is doing it.

Its not fun, but when 20% of the economy was vaporized everything needs to be recalibrated.

1. jimmy says:

Douog T Tell that to the CEO of United Health care.

1. Citizen says:

or 3M or Xcel energy. All receiving golden parachutes.

2. Sue says:

WOW! Now that’s what I call job creation, by eliminating jobs. Way to go GOP.

1. AJK says:

By eliminating government jobs you create private market job growth…pay attention Sue, the only sector to report job growth last month was the private sector. We (tax payers) can not, nor choose not to, pay your (government employees) inflated wages, pensions and insurance when we struggle to pay our own.

1. Stien says:

Awesome! I like the last part the best! Care to add some real stats? Or should I?

And another thing…eliminate government jobs? They are simply not going to replace those that retire! Should be easy to shave 15% off given the age of the workforce in the US in general. Baaaaaaa! Baaaaaaa! Baaaaaaa! Flippen sheep!

Where do you work? I want to make sure I not spend my money there to pay for your wages and insurnce.

1. sassylou says:

I too would like to know where they work so I don’t spend my hard earned STATE WAGES there as well…nice comment ;0)…by the way I’m on vacation so you aren’t paying for my computer time.

1. Jim says:

State Wages you mean Handouts? Most govt jobs are basically welfare under the thought that they can do something productive. Turns out when they only work 2 hours of an 8 hour day and get paid better than the private sector nobody is filling in the pot holes and poorly regulating our schools and environment!

1. Stien says:

We all feel a little better about the private sector now thanks to Jim. Based on hard facts. Jim you want a tour of some private sector employers who have people who only work 2 hours out of an 8 hour day. Cancel that! Just look at the headlines of this rag and read about the millions wasted on social networks while on the job. But next you’ll tell me it’s only govenment workers who do this. Jim you are awesome!

2. PS says:

there not filling potholes because the workforce has been cut to the bone already and they are working on more important projects and as for working only 2 hours and getting paid for 8 maybe you would like to try and keep up with me while I put in My FULL EIGHT HOURS AND SOMETIMES MORE IN A DAY I don’t think you could do my job and couldn’t handle the stress that we are put under in the MINNESOTA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY !

1. sassylou says:

I too dedicate 1.5 hours of MY own personal time to the STATE everyday because we are so short staffed and there aren’t enough hours in the day to get the work done. I am so sick of hearing that State workers do nothing. I work my ass off for the state and for the “great citizens” (hah, beginning to wonder about that one) of this state. I love what I do and I am proud to serve the people, however after reading alot of these comments I do hope most of you never contact my agency for help.

2. SK says:

So – the only sector to report job growth was the private sector!!!. Your comment makes no sense. The purpose of government is NOT to create public sector jobs so because there were none should not be interpreted as bad – it should be exactly what you want. In fact, there has been a “HOLD” on hiring at the federal, state and local levels so who would even expect to see any public sector job growth?? GREAT ANALYSIS, AJK!!!

BTW – government employees are also citizens and taxpayers.

1. tom says:

government employees are only government employees because they are either to stupid or to lazy to work in the private sector

1. eastside_evil says:

My goodness, tom. Are you being serious? So the folks who field moronic questions from people about the drivers license or plates statuses are stupid and/or lazy? The ones working in the child protective services are stupid and lazy and can’t get a job where you work?

What exactly do YOU do, Tom?

By the way, the word is “too” not “too.” Come on, tom.

1. eastside_evil says:

My keyboard failed me there. Darn thing seems to repeat characters and spaces without me…

But you know what I meant. I hope!

1. Tea thinks tom is STUPID says:

#1 I am HAPPY this passed! It’s about TIME the GOVT tighten’s it’s belt! WE ALL have! Why would they not!
                BUT…..WHO would be SO STUPID to say Govt workers are “only government employees because they are either to stupid or to lazy to work in the private sector”

WOW!

Tell the POLICE OFFICER that when he protects you, or the FIREMAN (Sorry Fireperson) who puts out the fire in your house!

I 100% agree there NEEDS to be GOVT PAY REFORM, but to call them stupid, is…STUPID!

So GROW UP A-HOLE! Get off “our side”

2. PS says:

tom you a fricken moron and I’m sure you couldn’t get a job as a greeter Walmart because you couldn’t fill out the application without using you crayons ………….by the way ths state of MINNESOTA employee has a COLLEGE DEGREE and I love my job with the State !

3. PS says:

NO AKJ when you eliminate jobs you put people in the unemployment and welfare lines and as for you tax payers paying our inflated wages you morons forget that EVERY SINGLE STATE COUNTY CITY AND FEDERAL EMPLOYEE PAYS TAXES ! WE SHOULD ALSO SAY HOW ARE TAXES ARE SPENT! How inflated is your wage ? my wage is public knowledge make your please and we’ll see who is over paid !

2. sas says:

Government jobs do not create anything. There is no product or service to sell from government jobs. Take a macro econ class, then compain.

1. Stien says:

Really! Maybe you need to take one! When they get paid what does that do to the economy? Oooooopppppsssssieeee! It creats jobs and tax revenue.

Look ma no hands……….and I’ve never taken a econ class in my life!

Too easy SAS. Try again!

1. Doug T says:

Ok here is how it works….

In general – the gov spends $1 a year on a bureaucrat’s salary, for example, GDP numbers will register growth of exactly $1, whether or not the employee has produced any value for that money. By contrast, if a firm pays an engineer $1, that $1 only shows up in the GDP if the engineer produces $1 worth of stuff to sell. This distinction biases GDP numbers—and the policies based on them—toward ever-increasing government spending.

1. Stien says:

Can you use the big crayons for me? I have a hard time with snapping the little ones.

So I’m wrong in assuming if you do not get a raise and you are not being taxed more because of it, and if you are making less stands to reason you spend less this does not have a negative effect on the States economy? Is that what you are saying? Please clarify. Taking taxable revenue off the table is a good thing when the majority of your income generated is from taxes. Boy I could be WRONG….but I don’t think so! And again….no econ class needed!

2. Doug T says:

Ok – I will try and mke this simple – big picture….with crayons and paste…

Say the gov spends $1 a year on a bureaucrat’s salary, for example, GDP numbers will register growth of exactly $1, whether or not the employee has produced any value for that money. By contrast, if a firm pays an engineer $1, that $1 only shows up in the GDP if the engineer produces $1 worth of stuff to sell. This distinction biases GDP numbers—and the policies based on them—toward ever-increasing government spending.

2. Walker says:

@sas. How did you get to work? drive a car? How did the road get there? Need I go further? Perhaps you need to take a history class so you know what happened without regulation and a class on the environment to help you understand the services government provides.

1. tom says:

speaking of roads, when wasn’t the last time you drove down a road and it was full of pot holes, they are everywhere. you see a truck drive up and three more follow it. 8 guys get out and 6 are leaning on shovels, the driver stays in cab of vehicle and one guy is actually filling the pot hole

1. eastside_evil says:

hahaha, that’s not what I see, Tom.

2. Doug T says:

Ok – and no one else could possibly make roads or deliver service except for the government? Try really being progressive (not regressive) and think out of the box…

And depending gov regulation is what caused the economic meltdown we are attempting to recover from..

1. Citizen says:

@Doug T and tom. And no one except the government can support big agribusiness with your tax dollars in order to keep you in cheap food and ethanol. No one but big government can provide minimum-wage WalMart workers with the health care (Medicaid) that WalMart doesn’t provide. Remember all that free parking in front of downtown business? Tax-subsidized roads. How about that beef you eat? Federal rangeland leased for a buck to ranchers to graze cattle. I could go on….but you aren’t listenining anyway.

3. PS says:

so sas your saying that the government dosen’t povide any services to you ! who plows your roads,who fixes your streets and utliities, where do you renew your license, STUPID these are ALL GOVERNMENT AGENCIES and there are many many more like police,sheriffs, state patrol, so please think before you speak or maybe you would rather live in Iran or Iraq or Lybia be my guest

3. Joyce says:

Sue, hate to tell you but the dems got us into this mess. The state needs to tighten their belt just like everyone else.

1. eastside_evil says:

hahaha, well that was easy. Blame it on Democrats, eh, Joyce? How freaking brilliant of you.

3. wakeupmpls says:

Government workers produce nothing. They are vampires.
    Let these government workers get real jobs that provide value and we’ll be better off.
    Good for the GOP!

1. wtdbuck says:

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING?

2. Stien says:

Are people with “real Jobs” stil having their pay frozen for two MORE years? Really? I’d like you to name someone working in MN for one of the ten major companies that are seeing this today. I don’t know of any. What is a “real job” anyway by your definition. This should be good! And I want to thank all the Police and Fire vampires out there for keep my streets as safe as you can and helping people out when the house burns down or gets hit by a tornado. I’ll just START with those folks. Wakeup is right! Dude wake up!

1. bdn says:

0.75% merit increase on above average review.

1. Stien says:

So is that the same as ZERO? I’m missing your point here Bdn. Help me a little!

2. Jim says:

I have house insurance because the fire department doesn’t try to save my property, just the neighbors from catching on fire. And the Police are sure doing a great job in minneapolis and brooklyn park. We should pay them double just like the teachers because they are failures on the states dime.

1. Stien says:

No Jim! Your answer is to “Cut” more of them! Much easier to chase more bad guys with less people. I love it! The Fire Dept only goes to your neighbors house, not yours! That is pure comedy! Gee I wonder why Jim?

Wanted: Someone with a brain!

2. Owen says:

So when the murder rate went up and the police in Minneapolis changed some strategies and since it has been down they were doing nothing. Perhaps the statistics you are thinking of are a reflection of the people there and not the police and therefore there needs to be more.

3. PullYourHeadOutJim says:

Jim you’re an idiot. Even IF this bill becomes law, you think yo’re going to pay less in taxes every year? The government will just spend it someplace else. And the fact that there’s still crime has no bearing on whether or not cops are doing their job. I’m a cop here in the metro, and you can take this to the bank: even if the ratio of cops to civilians was 1:1, there would still be crime. You complain about crime and fire response now…what’s gonna happen when those work forces are cut? You think the chest-beaters working in the “almighty private sector” are going to come put your house out when arsonits hit it? Are they going to investigate the crime and charge those involved? The answer is NO. Know why? People who work in the private sector are in it for themselves.

3. Doug T says:

No, I got a raise – my company makes things people want and value…..And I work my butt off everyday to keep my customers happy….Lets see someone at the department of transportation do that.

3. UofMWorker says:

I work for the University of Minnesota and over the last 10 years of employment, this will be pay wage freeze number three. My “real job” enables others to go to school so they too can get “real jobs”. Where do you think this state would be without a University system? Not all government workers have jobs where they “produce nothing”. Sorry to burst you ignorance bubble.

1. Andy says:

Really? I recieved my BS and Masters from the U and I can point out numerous areas of wasteful spending. Sorry to burst your bubble

1. Stien says:

And this never happens in the private sector right? It happens every where. I know!

1. tom says:

no the private sector is more cost consious, others they would be out of business where as the state just taxes more so they can keep running.

Tom

For real! Pull the head from the sand. I work in the private sector you dolt! Come to my work place and see the waste. I have a dept of people who can’t use a computer. I call that the Corporate Welfare department.

2. PS says:

tom if there so cost consious then why do the ceo’s get unreal salaries thats just moronic I have a clue for all the people who hate us STATE WORKERS move to another state like Alabama, Mississippi and see if you receive the same quality of live I would guess NOT!!

2. Citizen of Minnesota says:

@Andy. So, you received a B.S. degree. We all know what B.S. stands for and an M.S. means more of the same. Those degrees and a buck downtown might get you coffee. Are you asking people if they want fries with that?

2. sas says:

You simply can’t believe that there is not room to cut, streamline, or save within the government. Also, in the past 10 years I have had 3 raises – I think that equals or surpasses your 3 wage freezes.

Don’t worry about my ignorance bubble, worry about “you” bubble.

Sas

Kidding me? Sure things can be changed and streamlined! No doubt! That wasn’t the issue. And I said it once and will say it again Name a person who works for one of the top 10 companies in the State of MN who has not had a raise in 4 years. Just simply name one, because you my dear must either stink as an employee or do not work for one of these companies. Notice nobody jumped when I made this offer yesterday…….hmmmmmmmmmmm!

What’s a ‘You” bubble?

3. Tea is asking for CHANGE as in MONEY says:

WOW!

Some people are complete MORON”s…

#1- A MASTERS in ANYTHING helps! I promise you if you show pay of those with Master vs those with out…the pay of people with a Master deg is much higher…..so “that and $1 will get you a cup of coffee” is a worthless statment!

#2- I work for a large company, and this idea of “corp welfare” is a JOKE! If the Govt would run their “business” like 3m, or Best Buy (and I think as far as a Privare Co, Best Buy SUCKS!) we would NOT have the debt issue we have now!

If people actully voted thinking this way…things would get fixed quickly!

HUH? Like that? I DO!!! THEN we will see how things change!

4. Grover says:

@ wakeup. Move next to Oak Park Heights prison. When there are no guards because government workers do nothing tell the world what happens if they leave all the doors open.

4. Ronald says:

Now thats what I’m talk’n about……..

1. Stien says:

Yeah! Freeze their pay so they have less to deal with rising costs of EVERYTHING. Less pay….less taxable income…….another win for the state! Is your pay frozen the next two years? As it has for these folks for the PAST two years? Tell the truth!

1. Ronald says:

I am disabled in a wheelchair and yes my pay has been frozen as I am on military disability. Its enough though and I get by

1. Stien says:

So you are not working? Careful the people you vote for may want you dead! I need a better example. Like an apple to apple one. Like working people taking pay freezes. You do not qualify! Sorry for the condition Ron, and I mean that!

1. LeftyVet says:

Why feel sorry for him, Stien? Does he feel sympathy for state workers? He made a CHOICE to serve in the military and was disabled because of it. How is that different than a trooper or MNDOT worker who makes a CHOICE to work for the government? Do they not all face danger in their jobs? Ronald cleary has no empathy for those serving the state. Why should we have any for him?

2. WorkinForTheGovmt says:

Where do you think the money for your disability checks comes from, pal? I wonder what the ratio is of state workers to disabled veterans on the dole. You wanna talk about a waste of money… Maybe we should start cutting those programs as well. If state workers don’t do anything, what do disabled or retired veterans bring to the table. Out to pasture with ’em…..

2. Stien says:

This is rich coming from a guy who accepts a tax free government check! I love it!

5. Rob says:

Hey I’m a goverment worker and I can assure you only a few of us are vampires!!!!

6. jordanj says:

Good thinking! Feds should do the same, but I never hear any thoughts on this coming from them.

7. duane peterson says:

cut 15% of our legislature also.

8. Bert says:

Cut the per diems that the legislature gets and you’ll save more than the 15% cut in state employees. How many come to the capital with no other reason than to get the per diem.

9. UofMWorker says:

If you fired every single state employee in Minnesota, the budget would still not balance. Why is it ok to try to balance the budget on the backs of middle-class workers barely earning a living wage? I make under the state average for wages so please don’t try to tell me how government workers are living “high on the hog” becasue i know it isn’t true.

1. Doug T says:

Well, it would be a good start….

10. GOPSUX says:

I thought the slimy gop was about job creation. Now there will be more people on unemployment. D***heads.

1. Sick of sick of says:

Another great remark from that intellectual GOPSUX! Every single day, one or two incoherent sentences and then name calling and or a profanity. Do you understand YOU are the best advertisement to vote GOP there is pal?

1. GOPSUX says:

Can’t handle the truth, can you con servadope?

1. Sick of sick of says:

Wisdom from GOPSUX today–

GOPSUX
          “GOP knaves. Won’t January 2013 be nice when they are all gone?”

GOPSUX
          “Here’s what ya do. Get rid of all con servatives. All problems solved immediately.”

GOPSUX
          “Can’t handle the truth, can you con servadope?”

This would be funny but GOPSUX is a real human being, out there somewhere breathing air, driving, perhaps raising children and of course, expecting Minnesota government to take care of him.

11. Thomas says:

I thought they were voted in to create jobs…not eliminate them…the GOP stand for the rich…not the middle class…anyone that makes less than 100 k a yr that votes GOP…is committing financial suicide…

12. Ann Galloway says:

how nice.. they want to make our Government ineffective by having less workers. more pot holes. longer time to get building permits, less people taken care of in nursing homes and other facilities, longer time to build roads and bridges so the cost ends up going up. More people off MNCare so they end up using the emergency rooms.
    Now we have more people unemployed and stressing the already stressed system.
    Thanks a lot GOP. I hope you get some people storming your offices to complain against all your hillbilly backward bills you got from A.L.E.C who probably wrote this bill also.
    Thanks for selling out MN. I hope the corporations payed you enough to forget you are a Minnesotan. Maybe Texas can take you in when the MN voters vote you out of office

1. tom says:

time to cut the entitled workers from the government, govt is to big now, we can do with less, get rid of the unions also, make this a right to work state.

1. Stien says:

Tom did you know your State has one of the smallest member to gov worker ratio’s in the entire country? I bet you didn’t! And you think you have potholes now!

2. PS says:

tom UNIONS have a place in the workforce they provide means to keep workers rights , fair labor , and better working conditions among other things so if you want to work in a right to works state where you can be fired for anything and without any reason be my guest I’LL stad by the UNIONS

13. i see it all says:

I am an educated government worker. I qualify for food stamps.

Thank you.

14. An85percenter says:

An Evangelical minister said, ” 85% of Americans are Christian, why should we care about the other 15%”.

Heard recently on TV from a CEO:

“The top 15% owns 90% of the wealth in America, why should we care about the other 85%”

The GOP want a larger share of poor and destitute.

15. tom says:

shut the state government down so they can’t spend money

16. worryfree says:

Come to one of the State veteran’s homes and see us work 9 hours and get paid for 8 with no raises in two years. Generalizations about state workers are a fools game. Many of us work very hard. And many of us actually get paid LESS than we would in the private sector- I do… shut us down”? you gonna come care for our veterans?

17. State Worker says:

I am a State Worker. We have been on a Cost of living Pay Frees for 4 Years! I work my butt off at work. I pay Taxs! I pay for my own pension and insurance! All State Workers Pay for there own pensions and insurance! most State workers Work hard! We work harder that all of you that camplane so much. God wants us to get along. We are 7 people short and ower jobs have been added on to. We are doing more and more with less people. I dont want my taxs to go for any Sport teams! no more Stadiums! I cant aford to go any way and they are horable! I am living pay check to pay check allready! I am making it Butt any More cutts and I will Not be Making it! You in the privet bissness make more that what i make. and you have lazy people out in your jobs like we do. Not Every one is Lazy! Go and Move you stuped bissneses out of this state if you dont want to pay taxes! I dont whant you here! You are just un happy rich people that are never happy!!!!!!!!!! Grow up!!!!!!

18. State Worker says:

I am a State Worker. We have been on a Cost of living Pay Frees for 4 Years! I work my butt off at work. I pay Taxs! I pay for my own pension and insurance! All State Workers Pay for there own pensions and insurance! most State workers Work hard! We work harder that all of you that camplane so much. God wants us to get along. We are 7 people short and ower jobs have been added on to. We are doing more and more with less people. I dont want my taxs to go for any Sport teams! no more Stadiums! I cant aford to go any way and they are horable! I am living pay check to pay check allready! I am making it Butt any More cutts and I will Not be Making it! You in the privet bissness make more than what i make. and you have lazy people out in your jobs like we do. Not Every one is Lazy! Go and Move you stuped bissneses out of this state if you dont want to pay taxes! I dont whant you here! You are just un happy rich people that are never happy!!!!!!!!!! Grow up!!!!!!

1. southern MN Mom says:

State Worker-

Just a little advice from Mom here. Next time you write, please check your spelling.
      You didn’t help yourself or your cause at all because of your spelling son-

Mom

Good one Mom!

When you can’t argue facts, check the spelling! Classic! Hope I used every word correctly! You should be a teacher, we need more good ones.

2. Tea says it again... says:

WOW!
      “Pay Frees”
      ” I am making it Butt any More cutts ”
      “Go and Move you stuped bissneses out of this state ”

Funny….”State Worker” you are doing NO FAVORS to your fellow workers.

I’ll say it again….

REFORM = YES
      UNFAIR REFORM = NO

And I think the rest of us see this as FAIR! (Or FARE for you…)

I stated it above…..but the way it works is this way…

“The problem is if you think about it…..EVERY TAX PAYER is like a stock holder of shares in a Private Company. The problem is MOST Americans are too stupid to think of it this way and ASSUME the buck gets passed to the OTHER GUY!

If people actully voted thinking this way…things would get fixed quickly!

That is why I have an idea…the more you pay in taxes should equate to your vote holding more “points”. Hence…..if you pay $20,000 in income taxes, your vote should count for MORE than the person on welfare who pays NOTHING! ”

THERE YOU GO!

1. PS says:

then why would anyone VOTE for the republican party or worse the tea party

19. Citizen of Minnesota says:

This is a comment from a previous poster a while back. Still true. Sad to see tom, sas, Doug T vilifying other members of the middle class when the class warfare in this country is with the wealthy 2%. “Remember when teachers, city, county, state and federal employees crashed the stock market, or when public employees wiped out half of everybody’s 401Ks, took trillions in TARP money, spilled oil in the Gulf of Mexico, gave themselves billions in bonuses, moved most of the good paying private jobs overseas and paid no taxes? Yeah, me neither.”