Pedestrian Hit By Semi On I-35W In Blaine

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A pedestrian died after being hit by a semi while walking along Interstate 35W in Blaine.

The Minnesota State Patrol said it happened around 10 p.m. Tuesday.

The big rig semi-truck hit the person on northbound I-35W near Lexington Avenue.

The pedestrian was in the right lane of the highway, but the state patrol said it wasn’t clear why he was walking there.

The truck driver was not hurt.

Police are not releasing the name or identity of the victim until family has been notified.

Comments

1. JamieinMN says:

It’s never a good idea to walk along a highway…

1. mel says:

Correction: It’s never a good idea to walk IN THE RIGHT LANE OF THE highway…

1. Shane G says:

Correction: It’s never a good idea to walk along an ‘Interstate.”

2. Phil Mcrackin says:

Darwin’s law in effect.

1. A says:

Totally agree here!!

3. eastside_evil says:

“The truck driver was not hurt.”

Ya don’t say…

4. BobBobson says:

He must have been significantly in the right lane, because he ended up on the far side of the left lane! I wish the news outlets would follow-up on these stories. I never end up hearing what happened or who it was.

5. Kyle says:

I agree with Bob on this. WCCO likes to make these little snippets, but then they don’t follow through with anything after the fact.

6. rae says:

i beleive it is against the law to walk or ride bike on the hwys. for this reason.

7. eagan says:

…but the state patrol said it wasn’t clear why he was walking there.

1. booboo says:

same reason the chicken tried to cross to the road. because it was there….

8. Steve Steiner says:

I would agree that local media do not seem to follow up on these types of incidents. In my opinion, any life lost in an accident under strange circumstances should be followed but in cases like this we might never know how or why it happened. However, it is tragic and someone has lost a loved one.
    My hope would be that a followup on the story might help prevent the same circumstances from happening to someone else.

9. Ed says:

I am amazed at how many people are unaware of the basics to driving (or walking) safely around big trucks. The day before this happened Kare11 just ran a story on a safety event put on by the trucking industry at Coon Rapids High School! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJUoyfSbobM

10. BRANDON says:

This was my buddy Mike R.I.P. MAN

11. Derek says:

You will be missed Spike.

12. Steph says:

R.I.P Spike– Only the good die young.

13. remember says:

Those with snide comments should remember “if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all”. Everyone has friends and family that will be further hurt by unnecessary comments.

14. Laura says:

Still unbelievably shocked to hear that this was a fellow high school classmate of mine. R.I.P. Spike. Sending positivity, comfort, and prayers to his family.

15. BobBobson says:

Was Spike in high school currently? Forgive me if this is too much to hear, I don’t mean to be snide, but was he walking out there with the intention of harming himself? That might be the only way such a thing can be made sense of, in my mind. It is hard to understand.

16. Rachelle says:

I happened to live off of the exit it happened by and was on my way home. I saw the sheet covered body- it was in the left lane- closer to the solid yellow line than the dashes. Saw the truck driver be questioned- can’t imagine what he’s going thru after having that happen.

He was quite a ways from the exit and had to have been walking a while. The area that the body was laying was not near any development/homes. Swamp/land area so he had to have come down the Lexington ramp. Seems to be a fair share of drugs in this area and I keep wondering if that had anything to do with it.