Volunteers Needed For Minneapolis Tornado Cleanup

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The city of Minneapolis has declared next Saturday, June 4, as an official volunteer cleanup day in north Minneapolis.

Officials are seeking 2,000 volunteers to help those trying to clean up after Sunday’s tornado.

The city says thousands of people from Minneapolis and beyond have asked how they can help clean up properties and get tornado victims back on their feet.

The city of Minneapolis is hoping volunteers will step up to help clean light debris from the affected area. Those who would like to volunteer next Saturday must call 311, or (612) 673-3000, to register.

Only people who have registered will be able to help out that day.

Comments

1. Dave says:

They think this is the government’s job. Mark Dayton should go help his own.

1. sedatedgirl says:

Hey Dave, I suggest that you take a drive over to the northside and see close up, the devastation that this tornado caused. Then decide….. if you would have been able to clean up with out the government’s help.

2. Truth says:

My sympathy goes out to all of the hard working people devastated by the tornado. However, as bad as I feel for the hard working people, I surely will not be volunteering based upon what I witnessed first hand in the days following the devastation. On each block I weaved through I witnessed a few elderly folks working hard trying to clear the streets and the yards in their neighborhood. For every 1 person cleaning and helping, I saw a minimum of 10 able males (appearing to be 14-30) sitting on porches drinking alcohol and smoking (I couldn’t tell if it was cigarettes). Each one of them appeared physically able to help, but were too lazy and ignorant. They were watching the elderly people work while they sat there doing nothing. This was during the weekday, so obviously they are welfare rats and don’t work. Given that my taxes are paying for them to sit on there butts, all the while they do nothing and expect someone else to fix there neighborhood and support them. I hope the hardworking folks have good insurance and are able to escape that rat hole into newer, nicer accomodations. As for the rats on the porches, I say let them learn some responsibility for their own neighborhood and clean it up themselves. They have the time, they live and eat off the rest of the tax payers dollars.

1. Truth? says:

“Each one of them appeared physically able to help, but were too lazy and ignorant.” How does any of what you just ranted make them “ignorant?” I mean, really? Your comment is nothing but racist BS.

1. Lazy says:

If they are to lazy to help, that makes them ignorant, it’s ot racist at all…

1. Ignorant says:

Why don’t you look up the definition of “ignorant” before saying such ignorant things?

1. Ignorant? says:

Ignorant………….being to lazy to help your own people out, while expecting the government to do it……

1. Defined says:

Actually, it’s “Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.” but since that obviously means “being black” to you, you are absolutely right… in your own mind.

1. Duh! says:

Defined…I believe you are the first to mention a color, why is that? Your definition states ‘lacking knowledge or awareness in general” so by your own definition you proved to be ignorant & probably racist

1. BS says:

Your reverse racism BS isn’t going to work on me, I’m white. Also, it’s obvious to anyone with half a brain that the first “Truth” poster was talking about black people. He played the race card, not me. And if this is the same poster I am responding to, why don’t you answer the other person’s question about the elderly people? Why are they not “lazy, ignorant welfare rats” for being at home on a weekday? Is it because they were bending over to pick stuff up at the time you happened to drive by? Or is it because they were white? Also, did it ever occur to you that the “lazy, ignorant welfare rats” you saw drinking and smoking were just taking a break from all the work they were doing before you drove by gawking at them?

2. BS is BS says:

BS……give up……your lost & simple minded

3. It hurts when I think says:

BS…..I believe the person was referring to black elderly people that were doing the work, either way an elderly person may well be at home becasue they have retired…..do you think before you post????

2. Dope says:

Lacking knowledge or awareness in general? isn’t that exactly what they are……so by definition….yes they are ignorant….thanks “Defined” for clearing it up for all of us

2. It Aint Racism if it's True says:

I would have to say one such as you who does not understand what ignorant is, is probably ignorant…..that’s my definition

2. Truth says:

I feel obligated to clarify my previous post due to the lack of common sense shown by some replys to my original post. First of all, I am far from a racist. My family is about as diverse as any you are going to find. Second, I never once said “black”, the people I witnessed were white and black. It does not matter to me what color people are, but being it is obviously a big deal to some posters, the vast majority of the young men were black. Third, the “elderly” that I referred to were obviously of social security retirement age, which leads one with common sense to believe they would not be working a regular job. Fourth, for those of you who are infact ignorant yourselves, the definition states: “Ignorance is a state of being uninformed (lack of knowledge). The word “ignorant” is an adjective describing a person in the state of being unaware”. Any rational person would immediatly describe the young men I saw as ignorant. I help people for a living and everyone is treated the same regardless of race. The point is that this cycle of ignorance, laziness, welfare programs, and lack of ambition to help oneself needs to stop. Sometimes forcing some people to help themselves is the only way.

1. Reality Check says:

You never once said black people, but you are too ignorant to understand your ignorant rhetoric. You’re one of those “xenophobic” types, aren’t you? Proof of your ignorance and lack of analytical thinking is labeling everyone affected by the tornado as lazy and ignorant because you witnessed a couple of people sitting around doing nothing. Another assumption you make is that because they are sitting around doing nothing during the weekday, they must be welfare recipients. For one, most people don’t work between ages 14 and 18. Two, most people 18-24 still live with their parents and work part time and possibly go to school. Three, you and everyone else would have taken work off to deal with the tornado damage. I would have taken a week of vacation and probably sat around doing nothing part of the time as well. However, I completely agree with you that “this cycle of ignorance needs to stop, ” starting with people like you.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
        – Will Durant

3. Truth?? says:

Truth, what would you call these guys sitting around, and yes they are just sitting around. Dozens & dozens of able bodied males just sitting & watching…it makes me sick to see the older people try to clean up…just sick

4. kman says:

Truth did you help the old People being you had time to stop and find out the Welfare Status of the People or are you just one of the Racist that Hides there computer and thinks the Republican Party wants to have less control over your Life.

5. Liberals, stop pointing a finger says:

Whenever something like this happens & someone talks about the obvious number of people sitting around doing nothing to help themselves why is the race card played? I’m sure there are plenty of lazy white people waiting for the government to do the work for them…..you damn liberals are enablers……you are ruining our country…..get out….

6. Skeezer says:

Ya this sounds like a real winner idea. Go help clean up the ‘hood while all the bros and sistahs stand around and watch. No thanks.

7. this isn't rocket science says:

In the late 1990’s Grand Forks floods & FEMA eventually has a problem because they have people trying to return money they didn’t need (FEMA had never seen this happen before)….Now fast forward to Katrina, people from other states not even remotely involved with any loss are asking for money….really what more does a person have to say….it is what it is

8. olga says:

Rather than pointing fingers, just get out and help!

9. You reap what you sow says:

When the tornado hit Waseca, I was willing to go volunteer and checked into the need. I was told thanks but we really have enough volunteers right now. I was willing to drive over an hour to help “my neighbors” and yet Minneapolis has to put out an ad for their neighbors to show up and help. Hmm!

10. tellin' it like it is says:

The only thing I’d like to volunteer is to hand out one-way bus tickets to all the one’s laying in their front yard, and tell them to go find another state to milk off of………I’ll volunteer to clean up as soon as the people trashing the neighborhood are gone…I’ve also donated enough of my money..it’s called taxes.

11. keel says:

Increase the amount of rental units available by simply reducing our welfare benefits to match those of Illinois, Indiana and Missouri. Then, contract with the bus companies and train lines for one-way tickets. This is not a racial issue…it is a gangster issue. If the criticism happens to apply to more in a particular group, then so be it. I am a Liberal…but this has gotten ridiculous. Minneapolis has always had a hard-working, prosperous black population. They have nothing in common with this bunch of criminals.

12. Reality Check says:

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
    – Will Durant

1. Liberals Please Get Out says:

Nothing of what you just said directly relates to specifics that others have raised, who really is the ignorant one?

2. Reality Check is a Do Nothing says:

Reality Check, I would bet $50 that you have never helped out in this kind of situation. Furthermore, why is it widely reported that people driving buy see the same thing. Is it just a coincidence that they all stand around at the same time. People like you like to mouth off & provide no credile reasons for these peoples lack of ambition……..now get off your self proclaimed intelligent butt & actually help someone instead of acting like you care

13. Duh says:

Per Reality Check

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
    – Will Durant

Only the small minded have to resort to using other’s quotes to bolster their own thoughts…..

14. O says:

Let’s wipe the north side off the face of the earth!

15. An old umpire says:

We should all help a little in North Minneapolis and a lot more in Joplin, MO

Minneapolis in many ways was very lucky. Take a look at these extremely detailed pictures of the tornado destruction in Joplin.

Go to: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1389737/Joplin-MO-tornado-At-89-dead-twister-cuts-4-mile-swathe-Missouri-town.html

16. An American. says:

I am sure those in the affected area of North Minneapolis are in shock after all of this. No matter anyone’s opinion or comments or whether any are lazy, a lot of people there need help. I hope people would help me if I were in the same situation regardless if some of the neighbors were lazy or not. Please help if you can.

17. BoozyWoozy on the porch says:

Porch monkeys doin nothin’ to help themselves !