Man, 21, Plans To Paddle Board The Mississippi River

By Mike Max, WCCO-TV

MENDOTA HEIGHTS (WCCO) — A 21-year-old Mendota Heights man is planning on paddle boarding the entire Mississippi River, which will be a world record. He’s doing it for a good cause, too.

“I decided I wanted to go down the Mississippi a couple years ago,” said Alex Linnell. “I’ve always wanted to really challenge myself, and this is something, you know, kind of a self-exploration.”

Linnell, who plans to raise money for disasters through the Red Cross, will begin his nearly 3-month journey Wednesday.

“If I had my ideal, ideal amount per day … we’re probably going about eight hours a day at we’re hoping, at best, 40 miles per day,” said Linnell.

Linnell’s main concern is navigating the upper part of the Mississippi River because of the debris, the rapids and the higher waters, he said.

However, he is ready to begin what could be a journey of a lifetime.

“I’m really excited about it. It’s been a whole kind of rush to get things together,” he said.

More from Mike Max

1. honestABE says:

Dude. That’s gonna be tough. Just sayin’.

2. factdealer says:

Must be nice to have no responsibility at 21.

3. Obber says:

I read a story about a couple guys who tried that with jet skis. Don’t remember if they made it or not, but it was freakin miserable. They were smashing into debris, barges all over the place, terrible sleeping conditions, locks etc…. and they were doing about 30 mph. That’s a lot of paddling. Good luck to him though. I worked for a local parks department in the summers during school, so I know what its like to spend three completely unproductive months.

4. Bella Notte says:

Funny, I thought maybe “planking” on a barge would be uber cool.

5. kevin says:

What I did on my summer vacation, by Alex Linnell!

6. Mike says:

what about all the locks and dams? going to be alot of work.

7. Melissa Neibacher says:

Alex Linnell is finishing up his World Record trip down the Mississippi River today!! He left the Headwaters in MN on 6/1 and will complete his journey by arriving in the Gulf of Mexico today 8/9/11.

WAY TO GO ALEX!!! Check out his website for great photos from his trip and his Facebook page for updates & celebration of his accomplishment!

8. Sam43414 says:

I’d like to introduce myself to you all. I’m a nice person whom likes being a help to others. So… hey everyone! See you around!