Project To Sort Out Why Birds Crash Into Buildings

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A program called Project Birdsafe is working to figure out why birds crash into certain buildings, and see if anything can be done to stop them.

The research and advocacy project is organized by Audubon Minnesota and the University of Minnesota’s Bell Museum.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports Tuesday that volunteers have found more than 1,900 birds from 110 species since the project started in 2007.

Researchers found that some buildings pose a bigger danger than others, and some birds are more likely to crash than others.

One of the biggest bird killers is the Hennepin County Government Center in Minneapolis, likely because it contains a lot of reflective glass and has plants inside, attracting birds.

Different types of warblers seem to crash more often than other birds.

Comments

1. Doug T says:

Because birds have a brain the size of a grape? Or smaller?

Bang – where do I collect the X millions of dollars expected to be spent on this great high value quest?

Perhaps bricking over the windows would help? Its for the birds people!!

2. Tom L says:

And how much to fund this frivolous research??? And really, who gives a rats p*ass??? Is there a shortage of birds in the metro area? Someone not gettng enough “droppings” on themselves or properties, etc.

Have we found the cure for cancer yet? I must have missed that bit o’ news.

Ridiculous – how ’bout researching the amount of useless research that goes on in the world today, eh?

1. Rep Michelle Bachmann says:

You obviously do not like wildlife. What a shame…

2. mmm says:

Actually, I quite agree. With the issues that our nation faces, funding this type of frivolous project is not something I want to come out of my pocket. Therefore, it should not come from government funding. Notice there is nothing in the story indicating whether it is funded privately, which leads me to believe otherwise. What a horrible waste of resources. Does that mean I don’t like birds? Heavens, no. It just means I don’t like my money spent wastefully.

3. Jim says:

Cuz they’re birds!!! wth

Yeah………….waste money on that. Don’t we have some people in need of assistance in this state??

4. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

For the same reason my dog barks at her reflection in a glass door or window. They don’t see the window, only whatever is reflecting off of it. And from the outside going in, they see, wait for it, wait for it, whatever is outside reflecting off the glass! Got sky and trees? Then they see sky and trees! Please send me $1,000,000 or whatever this study is budgeted for.

5. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

By the way, Michelle Bachmann would vote to de-fund the EPA, so who exactly does or doesn’t like birds?

6. Darren says:

What a waste of taxpayers of Minnesota Money. Typical of the U of M though.

7. sw says:

For real? I cannot believe money is being spent on this. I am an animal lover but some things are just the way they are. Why don’t we spend the money for the project on something more worthwhile and needed – there are many things more worthy than this. Ridiculous!