Former Minnesota Power Director Charged With Theft

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) — A former Minnesota Power executive has been charged with theft of corporate property.

Susan Kay Thompson is accused of not being able to account for more than $200,000 while using company money for personal expenses and weekend travel, making false claims of company travel and filing for reimbursements by forging her supervisor’s signature.

The 53-year-old former director of customer service worked for Minnesota Power for more than 20 years until resigning in January 2010.

Thompson was to make a court appearance Thursday but after she obtained a doctor’s excuse the hearing was changed to July 28.

Attorney Kevin Cornwell tells the News Tribune he advised his client to not comment on the case.

She has no criminal record. Under state sentencing guidelines would receive a probationary sentence if convicted.

Comments

1. Bryson Powers says:

$200,000 in her pocket and she gets probation. Not bad.

1. Robert Radke says:

Amen,Brother!!Just another white collar scam.

2. Steve says:

Pays to be a crook with those guidelines.

1. Just a slap says:

She got off with just a slap!🙂

2. St Paul says:

I’ll reserve my judgement until all the facts come out.

3. Victim Du Jour says:

I suppose she is running to Mental Health people.

You can pay off or bribe a Psychologist to tell the Judge you have a mental health acronym, and you get punished less.

Like back when Ku Klux Klan Judges allowed a religious minister to say something in a courtroom.

4. Ali says:

I am so sick of hearing “state sentencing guidelines…” it is time to change them.
    Do the crime, do the time. The hell with “state sentencing guidelines”. And get rid of that stupid Alfords plea. Which means .. “I still can not believe I got caught so I will never admit to it…” It is like we have no power to make criminals pay for their crimes anymore.

1. She's a Woman says:

if she were a man, she’d would be doing some time…

Look at the female teachers that have had sex with students, most are out… Heck one just married her victiim.

Male teachers aren’t so lucky. Even the History Channel has mentioned that men do more time!!

1. Victim Du Jour says:

It’s like when Jim Crow Laws punished blacks harder for crime.

Our Court System ignores the Equal Protection Clause in the 14th Amendment.

Women also get punished less for drunk driving and drunk driving accidents.

5. Dianne Knoben says:

Gee, I can’t pay my bills! I think I’ll just steal money from a company that’s already charging users way too much. 200 thousand could pay for my air conditioning bill this summer if I actually had air conditioning. Electricity is NOT penny cheap. Way to go SUSAN KAY THOMPSON OF DULUTH