Facebook Page Urges Boycott Of Basilica Block Party

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — An organized effort on Facebook is urging people to not attend the Basilica Block Party.

The boycott is to protest the Catholic Church’s support of a constitutional amendment that would ban same sex marriage. The Basilica Block Party is an annual summertime church fundraiser full of music that draws thousands to downtown Minneapolis.

What started out as a response to a blog turned into a social media movement designed to educate and inform.

The Facebook page was created to ask people to not support those that do not support equality and want to change the MN state constitution to ban gay marriage.

“It’s not a protest, it’s not a boycott. None of the verbage is on the invite it’s really just to bring awareness,” said Social Media Organizer Jason Wermager.

When Wermager decided to take a stand against a proposed constitutional ban on gay marriage, he never imagined he would use Facebook to do it. The page is called, “Say No To The Basilica Block Party.”

“I’m sending it to some 200 facebook friends of mine he sent it to some of his and within hours it just exploded,” Wermager said.

Wermager said he is not anti-church or anti-religion. He just wanted to spark conversation and dialogue between different people about what he calls the unequal treatment of same sex couples.

“Yes the Basilica does a lot of great things and a lot of money goes to support those in need but clearly they are under the umbrella of the Catholic church which is one of the strongest opponents of gay marriage,” Wermager said.

Wermager and his partner Alex Zachary said all they wanted to do is challenge people to think about where their money is going.

The basilica sent a statement saying they want the community to know that all proceeds from the Basilica Block party benefit two areas: Funding the ongoing renovation efforts of the Basilica and supporting the St. Vincent De Paul outreach program that provides food and other services to those in need.

Wermager and his more than 3,000 supporters on Facebook understand that they also said the Basilica has done a lot of outreach to the GLBT community.

“They are a real embracing organization or church that’s great they need to really support their folks,” said Wermager.

Wermager said he and others may decide to attend the block party only to support organizations that support gay marriage. He also feels it’s important to be at the block party on July 8-9 to educate others about the upcoming vote in Minnesota in 2012 on whether or not to restict marriage to a man and a woman.

More from Reg Chapman
Comments

1. Clean living says:

I’m a fairly well off Conservative Christian who was looking for a place to celebrate my 50th birthday. Now that I hear that the liberal gay bullies are trying to shut it down, I think I’ll buy about 50 tickets for friends and family and have my party there. We need to start boycotting the gay community. Don’t let them marry, don’t take them seriously, don’t listen to their complaints, don’t use their business, don’t support their candidates and urge our friends to do the same.

1. James2 says:

You already boycott us. What’s new. Your actions won’t hurt me. I’m used to bullying. It’s the young people that will suffer. But what do you care?

2. Stephanie Levasseur-Duszynski says:

Ew.

3. Victim Du Jour says:

Target reported an increase in business when “BLTers” started brownshirting their customers.

1. James2 says:

Actually the conversation between the Corporate Execs and the gay employees increased and have been positive as a result. AND, so many of us did not boycott as we have many friends who work for Target. So, once again, you have voiced a humerous response. Keep shopping there, you support gays (some of whom are executives).

1. frankfurter says:

So glad you’re staying home

4. Paul Solinger says:

You should celebrate your birthday where most well-off Conservative Christians go, the mens room at the Minneapolis Airport.

1. Please stay home says:

Paul is it one tap or two? Which stall do lurk in?

5. Yukon Cornelius says:

“We need to start boycotting the gay community. Don’t let them marry, don’t take them seriously, don’t listen to their complaints, don’t use their business, don’t support their candidates and urge our friends to do the same.”

Sieg Heil.

What is the rest of your “Final Solution” mein Fuhrer?

1. Sheep aren't the answer says:

Your hate of the non-gays is no different than the Nazi’s hatred for you. Grow up and find a girl who will date you. Stop being so silly.

2. James2 says:

The Party of NO could have created Civil Unions, but no they had to put all of us through a year and a half of this. Now that California has ruled (again) that the ban is unconstitutional, it’s a waste of time to vote on it. And, yes, not all Catholics are closed minded pagans, but, they money the church diocese spends of this amendment could be feeding the hungry and homeless. I will boycott.

1. Victim Du Jour says:

Funny, because Constitutional Amendments are the boss of Judges according to the Constitution.

Judges have no authority to over-rule the people.

1. James2 says:

The courts do temper the majority against the tyranny of the minority. So, you are incorrect. And you know, if you are as smart as you think you are, there are many examples of such. You are a Victim of sorts and comedic too. Thanks for the laughs.

3. NeilandBob says:

Amazing what happens when you open some closet doors. People let this be a glimpse of things to come. Repressed, my you know what. The Basilica does so much good in this community from feeding homeless to helping minorities receive a good education and go to college.

4. Definitions Must Discriminate says:

I can’t stand the idea of the block party anyway, but look, to boycott this because the Catholic Church is being “so mean” and “discriminatory” is just pathetic. Look, all definitions, including any future definition of marriage that might include same sex marriage, are discriminatory. All definitions NEED to discriminate, and if they don’t, they include everything! Any word that can mean EVERYTHING in the end means NOTHING!

What would everyone say if I were living in a polygamous relationship and desire that marriage be ok for even the polygamous relationship? Even a definition of marriage that includes same sex couples would be discriminating against my wishes! Would that be ‘nice’? Aren’t I allowed to live in the way I wish?

If marriage is allowed, for tax purposes, hospital visitation or for even more genuinely intimate reasons to any kind of group or number, it becomes so large that it really loses its point. Will the government continue to offer tax incentives to groups that are unlimited in combination and size? Definitions, in their very selves, discriminate! Not all discrimination is equivalent to African American 1960’s discrimination! Sometimes, it’s what keeps the attributes of an apple from being associated with an orange. If an apple is everything an orange is, what keeps an apple an apple?

1. Yukon Cornelius says:

“What would everyone say if I were living in a polygamous relationship and desire that marriage be ok for even the polygamous relationship?”

Polygamy? Seriously?

Let me guess, next you’ll say if we allow gay marriage, then someone will insist a church marry him to his dog, right?

So predictable and pathetic…

1. Yukon Feltcher says:

Predictable for a reason big boy. Just like reality.

5. Jon says:

Being gay myself, I do not understand how this could possibly be a relevant use of time and resources for the gay community.

1. A better community for all says:

Jon,
      It’s not always about you.

6. Here's a though says:

I couldn’t help but comment. How about all you people posting and voicing your opinions on the the Basilica Block Party and same-sex marriage amendment redirect your focus on state government? Maybe you should try focusing on stopping a government shut down by contacting your preferred party elects? That is a bigger issue facing all us. Tell them to work and agree on a budget before July 1.

1. Yukon Cornelius says:

So stop thinking about anything but the government shut down? Is your brain so limited you can only contemplate one subject?

Get a grip.

7. Ashley says:

But this is about him…being a gay man, he is a member of the LGBT community. This facebook group was created on the basis that the Catholic church is fundamentally against gay marriage. It’s not that hard to understand…
    He’s gay, the issue of gay marriage concerns him. His voice and opinion matter even if you don’t agree with it.

1. Here's a thought says:

I’m gay, Catholic and even a member of the Basilica. It’s my choice be Catholic and which parish I choose to be a member of. I’m not about to defend that in any way shape or form. Its my business. Although, when it comes to voting…I’m against amending the state constitution and in favor of the Block Party. Now, back to contacting my local politicians to work out a budget deal.

1. MC says:

Hey, guess what, ‘here’s a thought’? The local politicians made this an issue before they decided to worry about the budget. Cart, horse.

2. Les Johnsen says:

Just to clear the air my name is Les and I’m gay. The truth is I wish that I was NOT GAY. I don’t like it and I’m ibitter so please excuse my salty comments. I won’t tell you how my mouth got salty.

8. Rachael says:

Well said father

9. Reality check says:

If you marry for the purpose and chance to create children that’s one thing. If you aren’t creating children then your choice is purely a masturbation choice. Marrying the same sex is as whimsical as someone wanting to marry their wand, goat or hand or knothole in a tree. I’m tired of these bullies trying to rationalize and defend their high risk choices. Give me a break with this nonsense and skip away.

1. James2 says:

Yawn. Same old talking points, same old boring attempt to hurt my feelings. Another tired pile of horse hockey that means nothing. HA HA I love comedy. Thanks for the laugh.

1. jason_2 says:

Please do us all a favor and stay home.

1. Les Johnsen says:

2. Yukon Cornelius says:

Reality check, that may have been the stupidest comment I’ve read today.

Congratulations, sir. You are an idiot.

1. Les Johnsen says:

Yukon,
        Hits pretty close to home huh?
        Are you planning on marrying one of your your sheep?
        Wow!

10. Les Johnson says:

We are everywhere!! See us at the Gay Pride Parade!

1. Jack Backer says:

What an accomplishment! Did you get ‘presents for poopies’ as a youngster?!?!?

1. Les Johnson says:

Yeah,from you!

11. Ridgedback says:

Regardless of your bias on either side of the issue. You idiots feed the press to stir the pot. I for one am not frighted of the result of a vote. It will reflect the true feelings of the majority on this issue.

1. Leslie Johnson says:

12. Ridgedback says:

Hi Leslie, oh this isn’t an AA meeting?

13. Yukon Cornelius says:

Anybody wanna hook up with a hung twink? Total bottom here. I Love verbally dominant studs with mustaches.

14. Kevin says:

Silly little glitter queens and tuna tasters trying to froce their views on the Majority again! I have never gone, but I am going now! I feel better knowing that no glitter queens and or tuna tasters will be there….