Dozens Participate In Wis. Naked Ride, 1 Cited

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — About 70 people participated in a naked bike ride in Madison, and police ended the day citing one person with disorderly conduct.

The Wisconsin State Journal reports Sunday that police took a mostly hands-off approach during Saturday’s ride, allowing the riders to finish the 10-mile course then citing one group representative.

Last year, nine riders were cited after police asked them to cover up and they didn’t. Madison police Sgt. Mike Hanson says that this year, officials chose to approach riders back at the staging area.

The city has no ordinance banning public nudity, but riders can be cited if an onlooker complains.

Participants say the ride has three goals: to promote positive body image, protest oil dependence and symbolize the vulnerability of bicyclist to traffic and the environment.

Comments

1. Bob says:

Tommy Thompson said it all a few years ago: “Madison, a town of 200,000 people surrounded by reality.”

1. markH says:

Or perhaps surrounded by fundamentalist sexual repression and disdain for all things sexual. I am reminded of Shakespeare’s observation that “The guard who lashes the whore has a burning desire to use her for the very need for which he applies the lash.” So, in other words, it was probably some Christian nutjob who was afraid that his deity of choice would be offended. Peace.

2. fred says:

what…..no video???…w.t.f.

3. JamieinMN says:

Maybe onlookers should not be looking. Then they wouldn’t have to complain and all would be happy😀

1. Greg says:

Hey now, that’s un-American. God bestowed the right onto me as an American to rattle through life with eyes wide open, taking no responsiblity for my own actions, and it’s up to everyone else to make sure I’m not the least bit put off by anything I see, or that I encounter an idea I might not agree with.

1. JamieinMN says:

That sure is the American way nowadays….

4. Mel says:

Am I the only one who wouldn’t want my child to see a naked adult? In other cities, if a grown man exposes himself to a child, he could be labeled a predator.

1. Come'on Mel says:

Typical prude…

….there is a difference between the naked human form and sexual activities and acts. Just because someone is not wearing clothes…does not make that person a “predator”. Stuff like this isnt even an issue in other countries. Its people like Mel, that make the human body something sexual and to be hidden at all times.

Only Mel could convolute the clear distinction between riding a bicycle naked and a grown man exposing himself to a child….good job Mel!!!

1. Mel says:

You can run around your own house all you want without clothes on. Why does anyone feel the need to do it in public? I don’t care what you call me, but I strongly feel that the behavior is inapprpriate in a public place. I think these are just a bunch a people who didn’t get enough hugs growing up, so they have a deep need for attention.

1. Come'on Mel says:

For the most part i agree with you Mel. But it happens so infrequently, to get so up in arms about this once a year thing is ridiculous. If you constantly had naked people parading outside your house….i agree, that is outrageous and should not be tollerated. But this…..i think should just be let go of and not made an issue.

2. JD says:

Mel piece of a advise for ya do not go around that sound of town that day if you know the event is going on. Hey you can try to protect your kids all you want but sooner or later they will be exposed to the real world.

1. Mel says:

Don’t think that I would purposely expose my kids to that just to be able to complain about it, but I imagine that there were by chance some people along the route that had no idea is was happening, unless that had signs up everywhere stating it was the naked bike-a-thon day.

2. Mel says:

@JD, so by exposing your children to the “real world”, at what age do you let your children watch movies with nudity?

5. IWonderIF says:

a Naked Body = Sexual Predators?

Why cant a naked body be just that.. A naked body.. Why are we so obsessed with sex
    Just curious

1. Mel says:

Do you have small children?

1. Drunken Dissed Orderly says:

This is the problem with our culture these days, and with people like you.

You’ll let them witness violence and murder on TV, but naked humans are not appropriate for anybody to view.

You don’t see the problem with that?

1. Mel says:

I don’t let my children watch violence and murder on tv. A child does not have the cognitive skills to appropriately discern the real world and fantasy. My 4 year old son thinks Diego can come over and play. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree that it’s not appropriate or necessary for grown adults to expose themselves in public.

1. Drunken Dissed Orderly says:

Oh yeah? No nightly news is ever on while they’re around? I don’t believe you for a second.

I’ll bet you any amount of money that he’ll witness Hollywood Murder far sooner than he’ll witness nudity or lovemaking. Which would you find more destructive on a child’s mind?

1. Mel says:

@Drunken, my oldest is 4 and in bed by 8. The most violent thing he’s seen is AFV. My college major was Child Development, so I have a little knowledge on what ages are appropriate to expose my kids to the “real world”.

2. JamieinMN says:

Agreed. I hate close-minded people. Why can’t we love our bodies?!?!! Why must we shun them?

2. Come'on Mel says:

Dont waste your time.

This is the same mentalty that wont let gay men be cub scout leaders because they may touch the boys. That is to say, there is no logic or reasoning involved here…it is just ignorance, fear and confusion we are dealing.

1. twist and shout .... not changing says:

funny …. not.
        frankly I have no issue with them riding.
        I can turn away.
        I do have an issue if they reach out and touch. Just like I want no part of a gay reaching out and touching my son.
        Yep-I have gay friends. Yep – I remain uncomfortable with them to this day alone with my sons. Sorry
        Call it what you want but I think what folks do behind their doors is okay – get in public and around others it is totally different.

1. Oh Ok Good says:

Congrats…you have the critical reasoning ability of an infant chimp.

I hope you are just as uncomfortable with you straight male friends around your daughter.

How you choose to live your life is your business. I would just hope people are smart enought to distiguish between sexual orientation and pedophilia. I see how you can easily confuse the two **eye roll**. Because, obviously, if you are gay…you are also very likely to be a pedophile…the two go hand in hand. Makes perfect sense huh? (and you know the sign you’re a real idiot? When you agree with how absurd it sounds, yet you still aren’t comfortable with gays around your kids)

1. IwonderIf says:

Man why are you bashing baby chimps?!? 😀

2. Drunken Dissed Orderly says:

Why would a gay reach out and touch your son? That doesn’t even make sense.

3. Drunken Dissed Orderly says:

“Yep-I have gay friends. Yep – I remain uncomfortable with them to this day”

We call that “irrational fear” and you are doing your sons a great disservice by allowing them to see that side of you.

4. markH says:

I know what you mean about being uncomfortable around certain kinds of people; with me, it’s priests (or anyone from the laity), Boy Scout leaders, or nuns. These people as collective groups have demonstrated a willingness to sexually abuse children-whereas there is no evidence whatsoever that being gay gives one a propensity toward pedophilia. I think your reasoning is what they call “specious” and ill-convieved. Peace.

1. Mel says:

You can never be too cautious with who you leave your kids alone with. Most kids are abused by someone in the extended family, or a trusted family “friend”. And I hear you about the priests. Parameters within the clergy need to change regarding access to children.

3. Charlie Chan says:

wow … keep the nudity at home, maybe at a beach or such but parading around like a fricken idiot like this is just dumb, stupid and moronic.
      likely they seriously short of self esteem in their lifes too – this gets them some mobile attention. 😉
      wish they’d ride thru a prison yeard and we’d see what kind of attention they’d generate.
      friggen dumb idiots

6. hmm says:

How many of them were riding to promote the reasons stated and how many were riding to be annoying college kids?

7. Dave says:

Who wants to see a naked liberal?

8. justaxnspend says:

So why do they have to be naked????!!!!

1. Swamp Fox says:

It’s really cool for a hot summer’s day! It’s natural air conditioning on two wheels!

2. Corky says:

They don’t have to be naked. It is optional. They don’t have to be clothed. It is just one day of total freedom.

9. Swamp Fox says:

Lighten up with the comments, sports fans!!! So 70 Cheeseheads go riding riding bicycles in their birthday suits; what do you expect from this true-to-life reality event?

The real irony to this event is that that most of you who are protesting and commenting here would not be so indignant, self-righteous, or prudish if these cyclists were riding in very basic G-String style bikini garments. In fact, you see basically the same [almost] nudity at many swimming beaches, parks, resorts, television, Internet, and backyards everyday.

I don’t see the how riding bikes nude will make us more aware of foreign oil dependency, nor the safety or vulnerabilities of riding bicycles but I can definitely see the point about promoting positive personal body images!

However, there is one major caveat to this style of publicity stunt, the cyclists involved are promoting themselves as a public safety road hazard not an exercise in free expression. Too bad this event is not promoting keeping one’s eyes on the road and the safety issues of doing such! LOL!!!

10. Sniffy Rose says:

I just hope they put towels over the bicycle seats.

11. bubbalouie says:

Finally, Sniffy Rose! The voice of common sense and reason! LMAO!!

12. Puhleeeease says:

Note to self: when in WI., buy a NEW bike, not used.

13. jan says:

Maybe they could be cited for decent exposure? What I don’t understand is how could they apper without their stylish spandex outfits?

14. Jean says:

I hope they had padded bike seats…otherwise…ouch!

15. Deanna says:

Or how about just plain exhibitionists. Look at me mentality is all it is. How much attention can I get. Must not be able to get it anywhere else.

16. proud to be a protective prude says:

I’M WITH YOU MEL…100%

17. PJ says:

They were raising awareness to vulnerability to traffic and the environment? I get that. You are certainly more vulnerable to traffic and the environment when you”re biking naked. I see that naked rides are happening in a number of American cities for various causes. A bit silly perhaps, but really a quite harmless form of potential civil disobedience. It certainly is effective in getting attention.

18. jane says:

You’ve all heard of a DORK, but do you know what one truly is? He’s a little old man who goes around on hot summer days smelling bicycle seats. Boy oh boy, would he hit the motherlode in Madison, WI!!

P.S.You bicyclists have nothing better to do?

19. jh says:

I know many ppl in WI,. and I can’t think of a single one which I would like to see naked. Yechh!