MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A 42-year-old man is accused of attempting to rob a Minneapolis house in late April, according to charges filed in recently in Hennepin County District Court.
Authorities said they also believe the same man is responsible for a series of burglaries in high-end Edina homes. Seven homes were burglarized between April and Memorial Day, according to police.
Stewart Eugene Pesheck was charged with second-degree attempted burglary back on June 10 and faces up to five years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine if convicted.
According to a criminal complaint, Minneapolis Police were called to a residence on the 2600 block of Lake of the Isles Parkway in Minneapolis on April 28. The homeowners of the residence had discovered two days prior that a video surveillance system had been tampered with and the phone line was cut.
Surveillance video from the home showed a suspicious person tampering with cameras. The person also approached the front door and rang the doorbell. The person then waited about five minutes before he walked around the back of the home and towards a patio door, according to the complaint. He then reached up and removed a security camera there.
At 11:47 a.m. that day, the suspect returned to the home and approached a service door, tried to cover his face and tried to remove another security camera. He was unsuccessful and left the property.
Police identified the man through surveillance photos and believe it’s the same man who burglarized high-end homes in Edina by disabling security systems and cutting phone lines to the homes. Pesheck has not yet been charged in connection with the Edina burglaries.
“We believe we’ve got some evidence that links him into the Edina burglaries,” said Edina Police Detective Dave Carlson.
Carlson said this case was a priority for police, given the brazen nature of the burglaries.
“It was wires cut and forced entry into homes, and the key to it was, it was daytime. People were home in one of the cases,” said Carlson.
NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Steve Murphy Reports